Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion for Set List functionality. (2015 Update)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Suggestion for Set List functionality. (2015 Update) Reply with quote

I've noticed a behavior to set list that works well in one direction, but not in the reverse IMO.

If I'm on a slot in the set list, say a combi. If I go to Combi mode, it puts me on the Combi selected in Set list.

If I select a different Combi in Combi Mode and even if it exists as a slot in set list mode, it will change BACK to the previous combi selected in Set list mode.

I'd like it to have whatever combi selected in combi mode to become the selected slot in set list mode provided that combi exists. If it can only view the scope of the currently selected setlist, that would be acceptable.

This would help me tremendously playing live with the band and here is why: My band doesn't use a "Set list" per say. However we do have montages we play of a few songs strung together.

For me I've assigned a user category in combi mode to be "songs" with the sub categories as song types (Ballad, Rock, Disco, etc...). This allows me to change patches quickly when the band leader gives me 3 seconds to change patches. So I would use this for my general patch changes because I can see more patches quicker.

Though set list would be very handy for the montages where I DO know what they're going to call next. So Say they called a song while I'm in Combi mode. I can select the first song and then once we've started go to set list mode. Then from there I can just click through the montage sounds as I need them. Yes I could just put them all in order in combi mode (Which is what I've done for years) but then I don't get the flexibility of set list mode.

Now for those where they'd like to keep the current behavior as is, it would be nice if you could choose. Say one called: Last Slot used, and Last Reference used.

2nd question: The Set list Mode EQ is a nice touch. Does it ONLY apply when in set list mode, or is it GLOBAL once you set it?

Thanks!

Last edited by NuSkoolTone on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the current behaviour of the Kronos in this situation is logical. There is a one-to-one correspondence between a Set List Entry and a Program/Combi. However, there is potentially a one-to-many correspondence between a particular combi/program and a set-list entry. In the event there are multiple set list etnries using the same combi, an arbitrary determination would need to be made as to which one to change to, which could be more confusing than helpful.

I think the existing behaviour of having the Kronos remember the set list entry when changing modes works great. It's predictable and lets the user keep their place in the set, even if they decide to change to combi/program mode for a bit of improvisation on track.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I think the current behaviour of the Kronos in this situation is logical. There is a one-to-one correspondence between a Set List Entry and a Program/Combi. However, there is potentially a one-to-many correspondence between a particular combi/program and a set-list entry. In the event there are multiple set list etnries using the same combi, an arbitrary determination would need to be made as to which one to change to, which could be more confusing than helpful.

I think the existing behaviour of having the Kronos remember the set list entry when changing modes works great. It's predictable and lets the user keep their place in the set, even if they decide to change to combi/program mode for a bit of improvisation on track.

I can understand your point and I'm glad it works great for you. Though if there were multiple of the same patch in set list, you could say "Go to first or last occurrence (Switchable)". Personally a sound that I'm using multiple times in the night wouldn't be on my set list, it would be in a bread and butter bank of goto sounds. Though to each their own!

I think the option would be VERY helpful for a lot of other people besides myself.

Conversely, if we're going to treat set list as "Its own thing" one could argue perhaps it leave the chosen sound in other modes alone. Having it one way and not the other makes limited sense IMO.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Here I am THREE YEARS LATER, and this STILL MAKES SETLIST SUCK IMO.

So I've tried my "Workaround" to use Combis in Categories like "Rock, Disco, Ballad, etc..." and while it works for the most part, sometimes I've gotten bitten remembering what category I put it in and there I am with the band waiting on me! What's better is just to put all the songs in alphabetical order and make Categories like A-C, D-G, H-L, etc.... Basically so the size of each list isn't too big. It's very efficient if you keep a consistent naming scheme (Like Song title - Artist). So that's good. Remember we call things "on the fly" according to the crowd.

Though here's still a MAJOR problem: The Damn Medlies/Montages!

With the songs in Alpha Order, I can't just click to the next song. I'd have to search the next one coming! So while I can find the first song of the montage faster, now for the transitions I'm screwed.

So I revisited what would have been the PERFECT solution: Find the sound in my Alpha order Combis real quick, and if it exists in the current setlist in setlist mode it would take me there and THEN I could just go through the lined up Montage at that point in the setlist!

And..................NO. It STILL won't work this way. WHY!?!?!?!?
WHAT is so freaking hard about this? I mean have a global setting that says "Remember last Setlist selected" for those who want it separate (The current way) and then let work as described above otherwise (Or the reverse I don't care). THIS IS NOT THAT HARD! I can't be the ONLY one who would benefit from this!

So unless you're doing a FULLY CANNED show, setlist is USELESS!!!!!

Here I am, Back to workarounds Mad /rant
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an iPad with Set List Maker for this. Works great. The medleys are in order in my Kronos setlist and my iPad tells my Kronos to select the initial slot for each one.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With PCG Tools, you can easy sort programs, combis and set list slots in alphabetical order.

And beyond that, you can e.g. use Artist - Title Name as the name of set list slots, and sort on either Artist or Title. The character to split (the - sign above) can be changed if needed.

What I normally do within PCG Tools:
- Sorting a set list alphabetical order by Artist
- Copy the set list to another set list
- Sort that set list by Title order

Of course you also can use instead of an artist name, the genre name if that suits you better.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
studio429

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got three or four generic setlists that have all the programmes I would use depending on what act I'm playing with. For shows with my main act I have a setlist that I tweak dependent upon any small tweaks. If we throw something in as a 'bonus' it normally requires a fairly generic patch (piano / organ) but if it's something with splits and specific samples generally I just search for my preprogammed combi.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I use an iPad with Set List Maker for this. Works great. The medleys are in order in my Kronos setlist and my iPad tells my Kronos to select the initial slot for each one.

This. SLM really makes off-the-cuff playing a no-brainer. I can literally kick off any random song (or generic combi) almost instantly
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

This. SLM really makes off-the-cuff playing a no-brainer. I can literally kick off any random song (or generic combi) almost instantly

Interesting. I happen to have an iPad so this is an option (I'll just need to free up a USB slot).

I currently use iGigBook for charts. It Takes PDFs and works well, though it seemed like the MIDI capabilities were either cryptic or non-existent as I considered a similar approach.

It appears SLM has functionality in this regard. What's the skinny on it? Does it display PDFs? What other formats? How fast is the navigation between songs?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the iPad uses the host port so unless you normally have a Macbook hooked up or something you don't lose a port.

It takes a while to set up properly but it's super flexible and quick afterwards.

EDIT:
To elaborate, in Set List Maker you have to enter all songs as separate items. Each song can have a number of attributes such as "key", "tempo" (including visual, audio and midi click), "artist", "style", "chords", "documents" (PDFs for instance) and, importantly, "midi presets". Midi presets can consist of program changes on all sixteen channels and "raw midi data" which can include sysex. You can specify whether it sends sysex first or the program change first, and if a delay between the two is necessary. For instance, in my case, I always start with a SysEx string telling the Kronos to switch to setlist mode. Then there's a 0.3 second delay and then the program change is sent.

Once you have all this stuff set up, you only have to tap a song name and the Kronos finds the right sound, any necessary documents open up on your screen and a click starts (in my case just a visual one). You can list songs by alphabet, artist, genre, tag or just make a real setlist quickly. If you don't mind investing a little time in it, I really recommend it.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:

FYI - I just won't bother to read rude messages here. Life's too short.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

Sorry, Dan. Just super frustrated with this.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

No worries, and thanks for responding. I'm not sure that I understand what you're looking for, though. As someone noted above, reverse-lookup of slots from Program/Combi name isn't practical. If you want to use Set Lists just for "montages," why not use one Set List each?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:

No worries, and thanks for responding. I'm not sure that I understand what you're looking for, though. As someone noted above, reverse-lookup of slots from Program/Combi name isn't practical. If you want to use Set Lists just for "montages," why not use one Set List each?

The reverse Lookup is sort of what I was hoping for as an option. To address the one to many issue, I'd implement "Use first". Though I assume these are just simple single entry pointers and not something like dynamic arrays being employed that would even facilitate such a thing. Though that's wild conjecture on my part.

It is easy to forget there are 127 set lists IIRC. The trick for me would be to Grab the First Combi and then remember the appropriate set list for each Medley (Probably have about two dozen). I guess since I can name them alpha could work in organizing them. Generally I get some notice during the previous song what's next. Once at the song change, I generally have about 3 seconds to get in without risk of losing the dance floor (They're like cockroaches I tell ya!) I'll have to play with it. Thanks for the idea!

Hopefully between that and having picked up that setlist Maker App (which looks like is gonna take a few weeks to get set up and running) I'll finally be able to use Setlist in a meaningful way!

Thanks everyone. I'll try to report back on how things worked out ASAP. Somehow I've ended up in three Projects: Modern Dance/Wedding(My Steady), 80's Hair Metal (Still in rehearsal), and Now Modern Country (Auditioning Thurs with a Gig Fri)!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our situations/applications are very similar. Let me know if you have any questions or issues. I could also set up a sample database and sync it with you if you get the db sync add-on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: