Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and the need for super-human eyesight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Kronos and the need for super-human eyesight Reply with quote

Is anyone else struggling to read the miniscule font on the Kronos, especially after long periods of use? Anyone have any tips about how to make it more manageable, for example, reading glasses or a fresnel lens?

I'm considering, in the absence of an editor, some type of camera positioned at the screen to provide an enlarged view on a monitor. Failing that, potentially some type of magnifying glass on a gooseneck.

Incidentally, I'm 29 and have reasonably good eyesight (with correction). I guess the developers and designers must have ultra-super-good eyesight!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ChrisP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this has been in discussion for quite a while, since the advent of Kronos in the market. I had thought of doing similar thing, but wasn't too successful with the usb webcam that i tried.

Would be nice to hear what others have tried to work around. Editor seems to be the only hope for now.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works OK for me. I'm short sighted but I have a pair of reading glasses focussed on about 18 inches and the screen is quite readable. So I guess reading glasses will do it for you.

Bryan
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpilot wrote:
Works OK for me. I'm short sighted but I have a pair of reading glasses focussed on about 18 inches and the screen is quite readable. So I guess reading glasses will do it for you.

Bryan

Not knowing anything about reading glasses (the Kronos being the first and only time I've needed them!), should I be looking at a particular strength/diopter to focus ~18-24 inches?

I think the downside of the camera approach is that you'll need to look at the monitor to co-ordinate where to put your finger, but I'll give it a try with a MiniDV camcorder, a tripod and composite-to-VGA adaptor I have spare.

I think the fonts on everything are getting smaller with miniturisation. The number of times I see teenagers using their iPhones with them 8 inches from their face!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never do hours of editing work behing the Kronos but I have changed combis for several hours without any problems. Ok, the font size is small but I haven't got a problem with it. Btw, I have contact lenses.

Maybe an idea to check if your eye correction is still adequate?

The editor probably will show a larger resolution (or you can change the monitor resolution).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zengomi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Cpilot wrote:

Bryan

Not knowing anything about reading glasses (the Kronos being the first and only time I've needed them!), should I be looking at a particular strength/diopter to focus ~18-24 inches?

I think the downside of the camera approach is that you'll need to look at the monitor to co-ordinate where to put your finger, but I'll give it a try with a MiniDV camcorder, a tripod and composite-to-VGA adaptor I have spare.

I think the fonts on everything are getting smaller with miniturisation. The number of times I see teenagers using their iPhones with them 8 inches from their face!

I have no trouble reading the Kronos screen. It seems uncommonly vivid. I'm 57 and wear bifocals when I'm out and about. For computer and other near-field viewing, I wear appropriate glasses.

Things to consider if you're having problems with the Kronos's screen:
1. Viewing angle (the screen itself and your line of sight)
2. Corrective lenses for your eyesight.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

Maybe an idea to check if your eye correction is still adequate?

The screen is readable, but fatiguing after a while. Incidentally, I counted some of the labels in the PolySixEX as being 5 pixels high. On an 800x600 screen with a diagonal measurement of 8", this equates to a label height of 0.04 inches, or 1.016mm. This is small for any user I suspect. Even worse, a font with a height of 5 pixels has extremely low resolution and definition anyway, irrespective of how large the pixels are.

I think, for the sake of consistency, we should continue the thread in this font size. We should all be used to it by now Wink

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zengomi wrote:

I have no trouble reading the Kronos screen. It seems uncommonly vivid. I'm 57 and wear bifocals when I'm out and about. For computer and other near-field viewing, I wear appropriate glasses.

The quality of the Kronos' screen is excellent, no doubt about that. Very good contrast and definition.

Quote:

I find viewing angle does make a difference. I have to hunch over the Kronos to get the maximum contrast, which in something like the PolySixEx is necessary.

I do wear contact lenses, and they're as good as they're ever going to get. I have about 19/20 vision in both eyes as measured two weeks ago. As I say, any font that has a height of just over a millimeter, with a resolution of 5 pixels is going to be problematic.

The font for the majority of menus, whilst small, is still comfortable. It's just the odd UI element where it's strenuous.

zengomi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
zengomi wrote:

The quality of the Kronos' screen is excellent, no doubt about that. Very good contrast and definition.

Quote:

I find viewing angle does make a difference. I have to hunch over the Kronos to get the maximum contrast, which in something like the PolySixEx is necessary.

I do wear contact lenses, and they're as good as they're ever going to get. I have about 19/20 vision in both eyes as measured two weeks ago. As I say, any font that has a height of just over a millimeter, with a resolution of 5 pixels is going to be problematic.

The font for the majority of menus, whilst small, is still comfortable. It's just the odd UI element where it's strenuous.

Can you reposition your Kronos so that the viewing angle does not require you to hunch uncomfortably?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on that now. I'm going to see if I can raise the lower tier of my keyboard stand up another 4 inches or so. Problem is, it's one of those ratchet type stands where you can only raise or lower it to preset points - I think the next notch up is too high from memory.

I'll see how that goes and report back. Thanks for the advice Smile

zengomi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Working on that now. I'm going to see if I can raise the lower tier of my keyboard stand up another 4 inches or so. Problem is, it's one of those ratchet type stands where you can only raise or lower it to preset points - I think the next notch up is too high from memory.

I'll see how that goes and report back. Thanks for the advice Smile

If that doesn't work out for you, perhaps you can find an entirely different spot for your Kronos. It's up to you to determine that. Korg is out of the loops Wink
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also admit that some fonts could be bigger (since there is even space to place the text in). However, if the screen would be cluttered with bigger texts then it doesn't look 'professional'... in my opinion I would like bigger texts and maybe Korg also used a small font to later add more items without the need to rearrange screens (both good for Korg and for users).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee now that is darn funny. I actually can read that on my iPod without blowing it up! So I figure I'll be able to read it just fine on the Kronos!
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up, one diopter will focus at one metre, so half a diopter will do (if you can find them).

EDIT: I got that wrong. My math is upside down. Should have been two diopters.

Bryan
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's really border line.

imho it's the right balance between what is acceptable for reading purposes and having large valuable amount of information on the screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: