Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Center Memory Upgrade concern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Service Center Memory Upgrade concern Reply with quote

While my Kronos 88 is in for the RH3 keybed replacement, I had them also do the memory upgrade.

Does the service center get the memory from Korg, or do they go anywhere they want and buy whatever memory meets the specs defined by Korg?

I'm a bit concerned that they could purchase sub par memory. Speed or Brand.

Any input?

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Rocness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just ask them ?
I'm sure they'll tell you .
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Why not just ask them ?
I'm sure they'll tell you .

I did already. That's what concerns me. They said that they're simply going to get the memory from wherever they get the best buy. That sounded strange to me. Which is why I'm posting this thread.

Rocness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm , I see .
Well , somebody else here just did the same thing and said it coast over $200 . What I don't understand is
why can't you buy your own memory and put it in your self as long as it meets the specs for memory because in this day and age $200 seems like a-lot of money for 1 GB of memory .

Check out the manual and see what Korg suggest for the Kronos memory .
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Hmm , I see .
Well , somebody else here just did the same thing and said it coast over $200 . What I don't understand is
why can't you buy your own memory and put it in your self as long as it meets the specs for memory because in this day and age $200 seems like a-lot of money for 1 GB of memory .

Exactly. that's what adds to my concern. Granted, we all want a good deal, but they're only charging me $50 for the memory. $20 for the memory, and $30 for the labor.

MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, any RAM will work as long as it meets the Korg stated specifications.

Even if Korg sells the RAM as a part, it would probably be more expensive than you could buy it yourself.

Your only option at this point is to either buy the RAM yourself for your installer or specify to them a specific brand.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Rocness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
Rocness wrote:
Hmm , I see .

Exactly. that's what adds to my concern. Granted, we all want a good deal, but they're only charging me $50 for the memory. $20 for the memory, and $30 for the labor.

Yea that's so strange , maybe your on to something .
Maybe people are getting over charged at the service center for memory , I don't know but I do remember Oasys owners buying there own memory and putting it in themselves for why cheaper but maybe kronos is a diffrent type altogether .
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAM is not made by Korg so they will buy it from a 3th party ... they will ask a bit more money for handling and service centers will ask money for working/labor time.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rmvieira

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My retailer put in the memory for me but had me buy the RAM myself as they said that would be cheaper for me for the reasons mentioned above. If they buy it, the price is their cost of materials + markup (profit). I did it that way as they are an authorized centre to install it.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Service Center Memory Upgrade concern Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
While my Kronos 88 is in for the RH3 keybed replacement, I had them also do the memory upgrade.

Does the service center get the memory from Korg, or do they go anywhere they want and buy whatever memory meets the specs defined by Korg?

I'm a bit concerned that they could purchase sub par memory. Speed or Brand.

Any input?

where are you getting yours done? Local? I'd be interested in how long it takes for you to ultimately send it out and get it back.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Service Center Memory Upgrade concern Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
Where are you getting yours done? Local? I'd be interested in how long it takes for you to ultimately send it out and get it back.

Yes, locally. There are two places in our town. I PM'd ya the information. As promised, 7-10 days. Looks like it'll be right around the 10 days due to the length of time it takes to receive the keybed from Korg.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: