Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 61 vs the Motif XF7- From someone new to workstations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my gigging set up in the early part of this century:

I was still lugging the Hammond around this summer.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
music_avijeet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I have thought a moment about using only one synth (Kronos) since it has SST, however I like the possibility to switch very fast between two sounds without the need to split (sometimes not possible, due to hammond glides over multiple octaves).

+1

phattbuzz wrote:

You actually need courage to be carrying and frequently shipping the Rhodes Mk II and the Hammond! I used to literally pester the airline check ins to ensure that they do not toss around my Keyboards like footballs.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

music_avijeet wrote:

phattbuzz wrote:

You actually need courage to be carrying and frequently shipping the Rhodes Mk II and the Hammond! I used to literally pester the airline check ins to ensure that they do not toss around my Keyboards like footballs.

All my gigs were traveled in a van. Smile
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:

I was still lugging the Hammond around this summer.

wow... that's crazy. did you actually use all that stuff though? at every gig?

I'm curious what you're using now...?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:

wow... that's crazy. did you actually use all that stuff though? at every gig?

I'm curious what you're using now...?

Never gigged with the guitar stuff - but that keyboard setup I was using for some time. Keyboards changed around a bit. Used a Rhodes Mark I to replace the Mark II. A Yamaha So8 replaced the M1 for a while, that was replaced with a TR61 which I still use. The Rhodes was replaced with a Casio 88 key piano which I still use.

All sound produced by Korg Kronos.
Waiting on a set of midi bass pedals, should be here on Wednesday. After that, I'll be selling the Hammond/Leslie.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:

Waiting on a set of midi bass pedals, should be here on Wednesday. After that, I'll be selling the Hammond/Leslie.

So you feel the CX3 sounds good enough to ditch the real Hammond eh?
Interesting.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
phattbuzz wrote:

Interesting.

The Hammond has been a wonderful beast for many years, but it's time to let a younger man (or group of men) lug it around. When I first got the Hammond, there was an amazing testosterone rush just starting it up. These days to even get an organ doctor to look at it (if something goes wrong) is +$90 an hour with me delivering and picking it up. With the Kronos, I am able to get very good Hammond/Leslie sounds and go way beyond what the Hammond could ever do. I can completely change the type of Hammond I play by changing patches. I can layer brass, or anything else, on top of that. I'm not limited to playing just Hammond, I can play 60's compact organ, theater organ, pipe organ, church organ, calliope, etc.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the pedals I'm getting (arriving hopefully by Wednesday)>
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68856
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually since the Kronos I feel I don't miss the real hammond sound anymore (since I sold my Hammond XK2).

I also have gigged with a real hammond + leslie, which was not working correctly about 10% of the time and I will refrain from the weight and size it used on stage. I'm glad I have it inside the Kronos now.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 61 vs the Motif XF7- From someone new to workstat Reply with quote

music_avijeet wrote:

2. Keys - I was a bit disappointed with the Key quality of the Kronos, while all the keys function properly (i did read about some users having that issue) I find the keys to be a bit 'noisy' especially while playing stuff at 1/32, 1/64 or simply sliding down. The Motif keys are little heavier and less noisy in that sense. Maybe technically the Kronos keys are more advanced but just as one performer's point of view.
Point - Motif XF

[img]IMG_0782[/img]

I have no idia why u prefer Yamaha keys over Kronos keys and here is why:

Well i am cannot coment about other but spaeaking about keys, i really disliked Motif Xf,Xs 61 and 73 keys, while Kronos 61 keys was good. Ofcause if u will ask me, my favorit keys are Fatar TP8 which for example futures Kurzweil pc3Le 6,7 or Kurzweil pc3k7 and so on... Because Fatar TP8 keys has anought resistens so it is possible to control velocity very well and also play synth or organ parts fest. Also i have no idia what keys my M audio Axiom Pro has but the action is very similar to Fatar TP8 But speaking about Yamaha keys which are for example on Motif Xs and XF on 61 and 73 versions i hate them and here is why.

When u press the key at about 20 % of the way the key resistens suddenly lowers almost twise so u fingers just falls down uncontrollable, so i just have no idie how u can control velocity on such keys

Last edited by chilly7 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
music_avijeet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have a Foot Controller as well, so if I ever feel I'm not getting the desired velocity drop or increase, I use the Foot Controller, so never really had any such problems on the Motif XF.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Actually since the Kronos I feel I don't miss the real hammond sound anymore (since I sold my Hammond XK2).

Wow, this is really puzzling to say the least.

The only area I was disapointed with is in the cx-3 department. I'm even considering getting the Xk3 at this point.

I find it's missing the "girth" of a real hammond, big time. Specially that "growling" sound on slides.

Perhaps I should find some nice custom made sounds cause the one supplied are very thin for my own taste.

What am I missing here?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

The only area I was disapointed with is in the cx-3 department. I'm even considering getting the Xk3 at this point.

I find it's missing the "girth" of a real hammond, big time. Specially that "growling" sound on slides.

Perhaps I should find some nice custom made sounds cause the one supplied are very thin for my own taste.

What am I missing here?

I have tweaked a bit on the sounds but not much, depending on if I need the growl I add a bit more low eq (or less eq if I play chords lower).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm sidetracking a bit here, not my intention to highjack the thread. My apologies.

michelkeijzers wrote:
Dniss wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

What am I missing here?

I have tweaked a bit on the sounds but not much, depending on if I need the growl I add a bit more low eq (or less eq if I play chords lower).

Ok, perhaps I understood the wrong way.

I've been reading alot about the xk series, comparing, reviews, etc...
because I use organ sounds alot and I haven't found anything satisfying so far. So basically I'm looking into getting one.

I know for a fact that the Korg CX-3 itself is ok but it's an imitation of the Hammond XK's. Even the keybed on the xk series is for hammond style playing.

I'm not trying to argue here, but your comment sort of put me in doubt, because if the Kronos CX-3 engine is a complete replacement for the xk3, I'm in big trouble, since I can't get anything out of the Kronos that's remotely close to the real deal.

Sad
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
phattbuzz wrote:

Interesting.

Perhaps my ears are not that sharp, or some people have been hidding stuff from us, lol, but seriously, I don't get it. To me the CX-3 is not even close. Mostly for that sought after growling hammond sound.

Darn, and I'm just about to do the opposite move.
Sad

Please someone explain because I don't want to waist my hard earned money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: