Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daffyduxxx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: EXS Reply with quote

Hi,
ok simple answers required for someone not so technically minded.
I have a KRONOS 61 and am aware there are "extra patches" on the hard drive which aren't preloaded, is that correct?

These are known as EXI's ?

If I load them will I lose patches that are already loaded?

I have customised my "set list" for my live playing, if I load these extra sounds will they affect my "set list"?

Which, if any, of the EXI's in your opinion are worth loading?

I would be very grateful of any help with this, if you could explain things in more simple terms it would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance guys & girls

Paul
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: EXS Reply with quote

I think there should be a FAQ in a sticky thread about this topic. Laughing

daffyduxxx wrote:
Hi,
ok simple answers required for someone not so technically minded.
I have a KRONOS 61 and am aware there are "extra patches" on the hard drive which aren't preloaded, is that correct?

Yes. By default, your keyboard will load a file called "preload.ksc" from the harddrive on startup. It contains a basic selection of samples present in the extras folder.
ie. EXs 3 - Brass and woodwinds
=> Some of the samples are present by default, but if you load this extra library, you will have more samples. It also includes extra programs and combis that use both the default and additional samples.

Quote:

These are known as EXI's ?

EXs is a sample library
EXi is an instrument enging (STR-1, EP-1, CX-3, ...) Your Kronos has 8 of them + HD-1 (it doesn't seem to be listed as an EXi)

Quote:

If I load them will I lose patches that are already loaded?

It depends.
- You don't lose anything if you just load the KSC file (which contains te samples
- You should consider the limited memory. You can't load the samples unless you unload certain default samples. You can easily make room by unloading one of the piano's, most people just pick the german or japanese piano.
- If you load the PCG (containing programs and combi), it may overwrite any existing programs. EXs-3 loads User bank G with new programs. However, you can choose a different bank on which you want to load the programs.

Quote:

I have customised my "set list" for my live playing, if I load these extra sounds will they affect my "set list"?

If you don't overwrite any combis or programs, then it doesn't affect your set lists

Quote:

Which, if any, of the EXI's in your opinion are worth loading?

Personally haven't tried them all yet, just the EXs-3. Really depends on what you need and could use. I for one couldn't care less about drums or vintage keyboards...
daffyduxxx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for your reply, and explanation.I really appreciate you taking time out to do it.
Paul
daffyduxxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have only just got around to having a go at loading the EX3. I am struggling a bit.
How do I stop the Japanese piano from loading each time I switch on, to make room for the ex3?

How do I make ex3 load every time?

Sorry for sounding such a noob,

I appreciate any help you can give,

Paul
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daffyduxxx wrote:
Hi,
I have only just got around to having a go at loading the EX3. I am struggling a bit.
How do I stop the Japanese piano from loading each time I switch on, to make room for the ex3?

Paul

I dont own a KRONOS, but if i understood correctly, the Pianos don't take up memmory as they stream directly from disk, so you can't free up memmory by not loading the Piano samples.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
daffyduxxx wrote:
Hi,

Paul

I dont own a KRONOS, but if i understood correctly, the Pianos don't take up memmory as they stream directly from disk, so you can't free up memmory by not loading the Piano samples.

I am almost sure they take up memory, except not the full 4GB if I'm right.

The beginning of each piano sample (for each velocity range/key) are already in RAM, because if you press keys the samples have to start immediately and the SSD is way to slow to load them only when keys are pressed. Maybe it's only 1% or 10% or 0,1% of each sample, but there is some amount needed.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Austrian piano library requires about 250 Mb of memory when you load it, even though the samples are like 5 Gb...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: