Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of assistance?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

I'm a new Kronos owner (61 key) and I'm getting ready for my first gig with it this Saturday night, but I have two things I need to resolve before I can dump my other synths (Roland Sonic Cell/Roland GAIA) which the Kronos was intended to replace:

1. I have a 30 second orchestral intro that's an MP3 on a USB stick that I have been triggering from a Roland Sonic Cell, and I have had some trouble porting it over to the Kronos, first problem was the stick wasn't formatted properly, solved that, second problem I got an error that told me it wasn't a proper midi file, sorted that out.. now I can see the file on the stick and it seems to have been converted to a Kronos file, but I have no idea how to find it, to actually play it.. this is help#1! How do I find and play this audio file from USB Stick?

2. I have a great pulsating synth sound on the GAIA that I use for the drum solo of "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter (the tweet tweet sound). I'm not much of a synth programmer these days and this was a patch that I purchased this from Sweetwater. Rather than trying to recreate it using the built in analog synths, I figured that the fastest way to get this seemed to me to be sampling it into the Kronos.. I did that successfully, converted it to a program and then built it into a combi and it was working great... However, a couple days later I tried to use it, and the combi and the program still existed, but neither worked anymore and it appepars that the source cample was gone. Did I do something incorrect and not store the sample permanently? I would have assumed that converting it to a program would have permanently stored the sample? This is help#2, how did I lose the sample, did I not save it or is there some other step to make a sample permanent?

I know that I could probably find answers in the documentation but I have a gig coming up and doubt I have the time to sort out these issues before the gig. Help from some of the experts here would be MUCH appreciated.. THANKS

Craig
CaptLego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: #2
I had the same problem with my first attempt.
Saving the program does not automatically save the samples. When you create the multisample, you need to explicitly save it (this creates a .KSC file)
Then, in the Global/KSC auto load tab, you can add your KSC file to the list so it will be automatically loaded when the Kronos is booted up.
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptLego wrote:
Re: #2
I had the same problem with my first attempt.
Saving the program does not automatically save the samples. When you create the multisample, you need to explicitly save it (this creates a .KSC file)
Then, in the Global/KSC auto load tab, you can add your KSC file to the list so it will be automatically loaded when the Kronos is booted up.

Thanks a lot CaptLego, I will resample and try to make sure that I properly save it AND I will also add the KSC file to the list so it loads upon start up.. (this may actually be the problem I may have saved the file but simply not set it up to load on bootup)..

Thanks for the quick response.. !!
Craig
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

ccmacdon wrote:

1. I have a 30 second orchestral intro that's an MP3 on a USB stick that I have been triggering from a Roland Sonic Cell, and I have had some trouble porting it over to the Kronos, first problem was the stick wasn't formatted properly, solved that, second problem I got an error that told me it wasn't a proper midi file, sorted that out.. now I can see the file on the stick and it seems to have been converted to a Kronos file, but I have no idea how to find it, to actually play it.. this is help#1! How do I find and play this audio file from USB Stick?

Craig
BUMP..

Got some help with question 2, does anyone have any ideas about problem #1?
Dany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

ccmacdon wrote:
...does anyone have any ideas about problem #1?

I guess because Kronos cannot read mp3 files?
-
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

Dany wrote:
ccmacdon wrote:

-

Thanks Dany, converted it to a wave file and it's playing perfectly.. feeling kind of stupid now... Wink RTFM.. right. Not sure why it won't read MP3's most of the other synths I have will read MP3's if they have a USB storage capability.

Thanks again! Craig
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

ccmacdon wrote:
Dany wrote:
ccmacdon wrote:

-

Thanks Dany, converted it to a wave file and it's playing perfectly.. feeling kind of stupid now... Wink RTFM.. right. Not sure why it won't read MP3's most of the other synths I have will read MP3's if they have a USB storage capability.

Thanks again! Craig

I'm GLAD the KRONOS does NOT read Mp3's!

MP3's are a DISGRACE to the sheer quality it gives you. I HATE them with a passion and wish they never existed, especially since storage is SO cheap and practically limitless these days, why compress to begin with?

Please, let's keep the KRONOS where it belongs: An Unprecedented High Quality instrument, and NOT degrade it with stupid, piece of sh*t mp3's. Rolling Eyes
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
ccmacdon wrote:
Dany wrote:
ccmacdon wrote:

-

Thanks again! Craig

MP3's are a DISGRACE to the sheer quality it gives you. I HATE them with a passion and wish they never existed, especially since storage is SO cheap and practically limitless these days, why compress to begin with?

Please, let's keep the KRONOS where it belongs: An Unprecedented High Quality instrument, and NOT degrade it with stupid, piece of sh*t mp3's. Rolling Eyes

Did Somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I'm certainly NOT a fan of the low fidelity music, or the state of the music business these days, and there is no doubt that the creation of the MP3 and other compression schemes have a part in this, but is it really necessary to go all "fire and brimstone" on the MP3 standard simply because I suggest that the Kronos should be able to play these, like many other synths can?

It's merely a feature.. no one would force you to use it...! Do you refuse to use the internet because someone somewhere has posted material you find offensive?

Thanks again to the guys who answered my questions and helped me out!! Hopefully I can return the favour sometime.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
ccmacdon wrote:
Dany wrote:
ccmacdon wrote:

-

Thanks again! Craig

I have worked (professionaly) at the development of SACD devices. SACD is a very high quality but it never got the real success, because most people rather have 1000 MP3s on their player instead of 10 super high quality sounds.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Laste7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re#1: I read that it works already, if you want to have it playable from setlist, you can do this:

Go to disk mode and create a folder. Copy the wave into that folder. Than copy your Combi or Program to the Sequenzer. Go to an audio track.
Go to track edit and choose Audio Event edit. Press “Insert” (at the buttom on the left) Press Import, go to the directory where you saved the wave and choose it.
Than press ok. Save the song. Finished. Choosing the song in sequenzer mode, press play on sequencer area and it should start. The combi or program should be playable like before.
Dany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A bit of assistance? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
...I'm GLAD the KRONOS does NOT read Mp3's!

MP3's are a DISGRACE to the sheer quality it gives you. I HATE them with a passion and wish they never existed, especially since storage is SO cheap and practically limitless these days, why compress to begin with? ...

Alan Parsons talks about his view of the Mp3 format in this interview, watch between 18min 22sec and 19min 23sec:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDTXFN1Soo ("Interview with a Legend: Alan Parsons")

Interviewer:
"What about Mp3? What do you think?"

Alan Parsons:
"Sucks!"

Interviewer:
"Yeah, okay..."

Alan Parsons:
"Yeah, it's horrible...I mean, the encouraging thing is, you know, compressed audio probably will improve over the years and we'll be less fussy about how much disc space or memory space we use up for music, because drives are getting bigger and cheaper...
I've just seen a little USB stick drive with 256 GB of capacity...I mean that's just unbelievable, I mean that's as much capacity as I've ever needed on a computer at anyone time!
So, it needs to improve...I mean, if we are gonna download music forever, which it seems we are, it must get better, because it's just not a good sounding format....yet!"

So Sina, you are in very good company! Wink

-
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case Laughing Very Happy

I'm a TRUE audiophile, guys.

I HATE mp3's, and I can't for the life of me see ANY reason whatsoever why they should even exist anymore.

Alan Parsons is a legend and I've been following him for the past couple of years. I LOVE his philosophy on music and recording.

And to see someone ask for MP3 support on KRONOS disgusts me. KRONOS is one of THE MOST UNPRECEDENTED Quality Keyboards I have ever seen. MP3's are a DISGRACE to its quality and Music in general!

I use Apple's Lossless compression on my iPod, and as soon as I covert my stuff to MP3 when I upload them to ReverbNation, I delete them.

I don't keep them. FLAC is the BEST compressed format there is, right next to Apple's Lossless compression on iTunes.

So Alan Parsons is right: MP3's suck and they MUST get better.

Sina
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of MP3 depends mostly on the bit rate. I also agree that 128 kbits/s is very low and indeed can be heard. Some people also say 256 or 320 has a difference, though most people don't hear the difference.

If I'm right also MP3 has losless settings or such high speeds that nobody can hear the difference.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP3 was never made for perfect fidelity. That doesn't mean it doesn't have its uses, or that there aren't many situations where the loss in quality is negligible.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say mp3 and other compression algorithms for audio and video has many ways to be really useful in everyday life...

considering that often i listen to them while travelling in train o plane or in may car's audio system, the loss of quality is somehow covered by the environment. i agree at home i prefer o listen to CD.

Sina, but you think that actual CD standard is hi-quality enough or as audiophile believe that should be better increased sampling frequency and bit-depth ?

[PS: since from post this may seem a provoking question, i assure it is not! it's real curiosity for an opinion[
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: