Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automatic generation of a Cubase Instrument Definition file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Automatic generation of a Cubase Instrument Definition file Reply with quote

As you probably know PCG Tools can generate (at least up to some point) a cubase instrument definition file.

However, from at least one person I got a possible bug about the numbering of programs. Below is a copy of it:

[quote="Cpilot"]Hi Michel

Just been looking at some of the patchlists that came with Cubase. The program numbers all run from 0 to 127, which is very strange since the Inspector and track list use numbers from 1 to 128. So, using my previous example, the GM number for Trumpet is 56 (38 hex). If I pull down the Device Manager, it shows the instruments as described in the script, so if the script contains 56 that's what you enter. However, 56 gets you the wrong instrument so you have to enter 57. There's nothing in the Cubase doc about this. (Why am I not surprised?). So your script is correct if you compare it with other Cubase scripts but doesn't agree with the way Cubase actually works. So there's two choices - 1. Leave the script as is and make the adjustment when you select the instrument, or 2. add 1 to each program number in the script. I'm going to choice 2 for my own system since that works but keep the original just in case.

Bryan

So what do you think should be done:

1) Leave the generation of this file as is
2) Add 1
3) Something else?

Please let me know so I can fix it in one of the upcoming updates.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel

On further experimentation I find that the program numbers must run from 0 to 127 in the Cubase script. If you specify 128 as a program number it will be ignored, so there's no choice really. You'll just have to remember to add 1 to the program number in the appropriate field if you have that particular version of Cubase.

Bryan
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you for confirming .. if I ever write a manual I will add this remark into it (I will take contact with you then).

Thanks again for notifying me of this additional info.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel

This gets stranger by the minute. In the Cubase device list, Kronos appears twice. If I select one, I have to insert the bank and program that I get from the Device Manager and add 1 to the program number to get the correct instrument. Apparently this is normal for Cubase as I discovered looking round the net. This apparently is for devices that haven't been selected (even though I selected the device!). If I select the other Kronos entry, I get a bank and patch list similar to the one in the Device Manager, and when I select an instrument by name it gets the correct one. This is for devices that have been selected. So your original patch list works just fine. Don't know why I get two entries in the device list as I only have one device and one patch list. The documentation is not very useful. In fact I had to download the MIDI doc for Cubase 4 to get everything in one volume as the Cubase 5 doc splits it up.

Bryan
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for replying ... if this is the case I will leave the current implementation as is.

Cpilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel

You can also put combis into the patch list. Just put the statement "[mode] Combinations" (without the quotes) at the start the list after "patch names" and follow it with the combis in the same format as the programs. Change the other [mode] statement to Programs so people won't get confused. I put a bunch of combis into my patchlist just to try it out. The way it works in Cubase is in the Device Manager where you select which mode applies to a particular midi channel.

Another strange happenning in Cubase. I changed one of my midi files to Kronos instruments in Cakewalk and it put the appropriate program changes into the midi file. When I loaded it into Cubase, all the right instruments sounded on the Kronos but the Cubase Track Inspector showed all the wrong instruments. They looked as though they were randomly chosen. So somehow it didn't relate the program changes in the midi file to the patchlist. Either there's a bug or I'm missing something. As usual, the documentation is pretty useless.

Bryan
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpilot wrote:
Hi Michel

You can also put combis into the patch list. Just put the statement "[mode] Combinations" (without the quotes) at the start the list after "patch names" and follow it with the combis in the same format as the programs. Change the other [mode] statement to Programs so people won't get confused. I put a bunch of combis into my patchlist just to try it out. The way it works in Cubase is in the Device Manager where you select which mode applies to a particular midi channel.

Another strange happenning in Cubase. I changed one of my midi files to Kronos instruments in Cakewalk and it put the appropriate program changes into the midi file. When I loaded it into Cubase, all the right instruments sounded on the Kronos but the Cubase Track Inspector showed all the wrong instruments. They looked as though they were randomly chosen. So somehow it didn't relate the program changes in the midi file to the patchlist. Either there's a bug or I'm missing something. As usual, the documentation is pretty useless.

Bryan

I also got several problems back from users about Cubase. I do not have Cubase myself so I cannot test anything by myself.

And yes, I also could not found any useful documentation. I will add the combi addition to the cubase instrument definition file generator and come back to it in time (cannot promise exactly when). I will contact you then for details. Thanks for the reply.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: