Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jordan Tudess Interview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Jordan Tudess Interview Reply with quote

About 5 minutes into this interview Jordan talks about his Kronos. I thought he also had a huge rack of synths but nope! Hi Kronos does it all except for his V synths run by his controlloers.
You've got to see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMVD18YG5Ug
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the part where he talks about his studio work with all possible VST's like Omnisphere, NI Komplete, Ivory, Alchemy and many more... And then how he needs to translate and recreate them on his Kronos for their live set-up

Everything that can be done with virtual instruments can be recreated on the Kronos.
tlong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Jordan Rudess on the Kronos Reply with quote

Excellent clip. I really enjoyed watching this. The stands this man has are simply awesome. The thing about keyboard players is they can't move around like guitarists but these stands go some way into showing some movement - great ideas - I wonder what it is like playing on them?

It is also great to see an Artist like Jordan Rudess have such confidence in the Korg Kronos and use it totally as his main keyboard.

The talk of the Roland Feedback Oscillator on the V-Synth XT makes me want to go an create one myself. It is funny but I havent used my XT in a while.

Tony Long
http://www.tonylongmusic.co.uk/
Chrutil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good interview - thanks for the link!
Interesting - check out the Main volume and Fx Send2 knobs and the 1/9 and 8/16 sliders on the Kronos -they have white caps.
When I saw DT here in SF these four were glowing red when he tilted the keyboard. I wonder if the LEDs are connected to anything, and if so how? Seems hard to fit a button cell battery in there...
One YouTube comment was fun- "a music vin diesel with a gandalf beard. epic.". Best description of Jordan ever.
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video. Thank You jeremykeys. Jordan Tudess vel Rudess. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating interview!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why he didn''t use a stand that also rotated the pedals with him.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of affection here for Mr Rudess, and I hate to say this, but is he *really* that well known outside the US or have I just discovered that I'm an old fart? Very Happy

I remember when Rick Wakeman was the darling of Korg products... Ooops, well, that confirms it then... definitely an old fart!
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a feedback oscilator be added to the Kronos?

Would it be just a software addition?

Great interview.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I always wondered why he didn''t use a stand that also rotated the pedals with him.

Back in the 70's, Keith Emerson performed on a concert grand where he and the grand piano spun around like a ferris wheel while he played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSm5IQFaTZA
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Back in the 70's, Keith Emerson performed on a concert grand where he and the grand piano spun around like a ferris wheel while he played:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronik wrote:
There seems to be a lot of affection here for Mr Rudess, and I hate to say this, but is he *really* that well known outside the US or have I just discovered that I'm an old fart? Very Happy

I remember when Rick Wakeman was the darling of Korg products... Ooops, well, that confirms it then... definitely an old fart!

Yup, never heard of him until I found this site and set my heart on the Kronos, but he is brilliant.

As well as both coming from Manchester, I think we must be fellow old farts!
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably if you were a Dream Theater listener you'd have greater change to know him here in Europe, too. Wink

his solo album can be found also in Europe even if they have never been really promoted.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an old interview, Keith Emerson admitted that the piano was pretty much just an empty shell. The works of the piano wouldn't operate properly when its was swung around and they were worried about the weight as well. So they took out pretty much everything and played a tape while he "faked" playing the piano.

Jordan Rudess is fairly well known in the prog rock circles globally but if you've never really heard of Dream Theater you wouldn't have likely heard of him. In the mid to late 80's, progressive music somewhat fell off of the map. Dream Theater is pretty much the main driving force behind it's return although with a much heavier element. They've been around for 20 odd years but only until DVD's. Still not bad for a band that can't get any air play. I've heard "Pull Me Under"; the single from their first album twice on the radio ever and I listen to various rock stations.

I'm also an old fart! Still play Yes on my turntable!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

It his Kronos would spin around with the same speed Rudess normally plays, he probably would get dizzy very soon.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: