Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unhappy isnt the word for this micro arranger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
losackmd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: unhappy isnt the word for this micro arranger Reply with quote

1. the manual is horrendous for people new to these arrangers
literally disastrous and doesnt help at all. I have ended up
accomplishing nothing because it is written so badly.
A video tutorial is absolutely needed to learn this instrument.

2. They say there is a panic button. Shift plus START STOP. This accomplishes nothing! absolutely nothing. If you are stuck somewhere there should be a default combo that works. The only way to get out of freezing/ or stuck is to shut the unit off and on again?

3. Unless my machine is broken and this is the second one given to me because the first one had no sound, this unit is on its way back to B and H
for my money back or some credit towards my next DSLR camera.

4. Keys are absolutely too small.

5. How does Korg get away with writing such shi__manuals that make it almost impossible to learn the instrument in any decent expeditious manner?

6. The only thing i dig is the sound and thats important but i dont have the time for a learning curve from a manual that really is so disappointing.
Does Yamaha and Roland make horrible manuals.

if you are new at arrangers dont even think about buying this machine without the help of someone who is willing to go step by step and there arent any so far.
I have a medical degree i also have an IQ thats higher than most and
i cant accomplish a thing with the illogical set up this machine presents.
Im not bragging im just astonished that KORG makes things so difficult.
its time to get drunk.
charlie67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting drunk is good, even though your medical degree and your high IQ. tell you otherwise. As far as the manual is concerned, I don’t have the Micro arranger but I’ve heard that it’s basically the same as a miniaturised version of the Pa50. The Pa50 manual is available from the KORGPA website. Why don’t you see how it compares? It seems to me that manuals in the English language, should be written by sensible English speakers who have English as their first language and a good knowledge of the secondary language that’s needed for the translation. Unfortunately, too many English language manuals are written by people who have English as their second or perhaps even third language. This is partly why there are so many bad manuals out there.
losackmd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: SAME EXACT MANUAL Reply with quote

100 percent

same difficulty understanding
terminology that throws the viewer off

thats why i love GARAGEBAND
simple
very little learning curve
beautiful results

its sadistic!
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not disagree more.
The MIcro is a great keyboard and considering what you pay for it in the States (it is about 20% more expensive in Europe) you get tremendous worth for your bucks.

We exchanged mails a few times and all I can say is:
the manual can be downloaded and should also be on the CDrom enclosed with your purchase. All the same I will send you a copy per email. As pointed out it is virtually identical to the PA50sd manual.
Why don't/did you not consider ordering my software package ? it comes with two extensive personal manuals and an impressive Bonus gift. And soundwise you will get a lot wiser as well !!!

regards,
John Smies

P.S. lost your email address. If you want the manuals please mail me at: pasounds@zeelandnet.nl
Mikroarranger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am so with all of you in terms of the lack of quality of the manual. It is not that it is poorly written, in my opinion, as much as it lacks a basic intro that clearly shows you the structure of how this thing works. They suddenly introduce terms that they do not explain and, in some cases, the things they tell you to do don't actually work. I have yet to figure out how to put a new sound and save that sound to a given style - so if any one can tell me or if they are putting a video up on Youtube, that would be great.

Now, I may keep this - may keep it - for the following reasons reasons.

One, I am not a keyboard player so I am okay with the keys being small. In fact, it helps me out.

Two, the sounds are just amazing in most instances. Some really amazing old school EPs (Vintage EP is amazing), great Organ Sounds (Old Wheels is my favorite), the Grand is wonderful, especially with a pedal, the Sweet Harmonica and Noise Tenor are incredible, and, as with the MicroKorg, which I used to have a while ago, the synth sounds are the fattest I have heard this side of an analog board.

Also, I did figure out how to realtime and step time a sequence in SONG mode, which is all I really wanted anyway. I now know how to select a voice for a channel, how to record on that channel, and I have copy and pasted, event edited and some other things. I am so sick of my old PC not being able to accomodate my MIDI sequencing software (and I cannot afford a new PC right now) so this does what I need - more labor intensive, but it gets the job done.

Some of the Styles are okay and I like that you can get more from the PA series, but some, in my opinion, are just a little - well, I won't say. I'm impressed with some and they do help you come up with cool song ideas and they are just fun to play with. I can sit at this board and play for hours in real time and the screen is pretty cool, too.

Finally, I think it will take a while but I am convinced that once you do learn this thing, the power of it is incredilble - I mean, there is so much editing and customizing you can do - I doubt I'll even learn ten percent of it, but as long as I can song sequence and have some good sounds I should be okay.

Mike
Mikroarranger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie67 wrote:
As far as the manual is concerned, I don’t have the Micro arranger but I’ve heard that it’s basically the same as a miniaturised version of the Pa50. The Pa50 manual is available from the KORGPA website.

I am going to try this - thanks for the idea. I hear it is almost identical to the Pa80 as well. Mike
Mikroarranger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikroarranger wrote:
charlie67 wrote:
As far as the manual is concerned, I don’t have the Micro arranger but I’ve heard that it’s basically the same as a miniaturised version of the Pa50. The Pa50 manual is available from the KORGPA website.

I am going to try this - thanks for the idea. I hear it is almost identical to the Pa80 as well. Mike

Looks so similar to the microarranger I fear this may not help as much, but maybe as I explore it I will find it to be more in-depth. Thanks
losackmd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Mikroarranger Reply with quote

im with you on the manual
it assumes you know alot about things that arent explained
and yes things dont work like the panic shortcut

its a damn shame such a beautiful sounding machine with so much potential puts out a f..ing piece of s....t manual.... and the manual for the sd50 is the same im assuming its the same for the rest

Im gonna fork over some money to JOHN to learn this baby as much as i need to..............
but im glad im not the only one suffering

gl
Mikroarranger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange thing is that the Microstation manula is amazing - much easier to follow and it explains things in overview at the beginning of every section. Now I'm thinking of switching (and will have to change my screen ID). Mike
falken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMA is great for me as I was playing mostly on accordion as a child and I have small hands and short fingers. Sure this is very flexible thing, so some concepts learning is good to have, but as its the same as PA50SD and all korg arrangers are backward compatitble with their user interface in fact, you can watch any tutorials even for PA800 on korgpa.com site. PA800 has touch display, but concepts are almost the same, so scan quickly through KMA quick start guide, try everything yourself and for deep details, go on youtube for almost any korg arranger tutorial. There is many resources for PA-first PA80/60/50 line too, which is 10 years old and this KMA is simply 100% compatible with PA50SD but with mini keys. I also managed to run KMA on perfectly embedded battery pack for about 6 hours on headphones and 3 hours using speakers decently ... will post this on youtube soon, stay tuned Smile
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very worthwhile suggestion by Falken. After all the basics as far as sound programming as well as style programming are the same on all Korg keyboards. On youtube there is a very instructive five part tutorial for the KOrg PA800. Folks with a Micro and little knowledge of the way Korgs are being programmed are well advised to sit back, relax and watch all five of them.
Of course the PA800 is a much more sophisticated and expensive beast ( with touchscreen) but the essential basics are the same. REcommended to all and to Glenn in particular. You will find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN03NdLYOvg&feature=related

Also re-read what I said in my short thread on "the three deadly sins with a Micro " :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69334

greetings,
John Smies
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience with arranger manuals, but manuals from the Korg X5 (old) to the latest Kronos are very well structured and comlete.

Maybe it lacks to explain workflow but most people figure it out themselves. On the other hand, if you are new to Korg it might take a bit longer ... or even way longer because another brand has a wrong (ehmm different) workflow.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mikroarranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsmies wrote:
A very worthwhile suggestion by Falken. After all the basics as far as sound programming as well as style programming are the same on all Korg keyboards. On youtube there is a very instructive five part tutorial for the KOrg PA800. Folks with a Micro and little knowledge of the way Korgs are being programmed are well advised to sit back, relax and watch all five of them.
Of course the PA800 is a much more sophisticated and expensive beast ( with touchscreen) but the essential basics are the same. REcommended to all and to Glenn in particular. You will find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN03NdLYOvg&feature=related

Also re-read what I said in my short thread on "the three deadly sins with a Micro " :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69334

greetings,
John Smies

I really think this helps to an extent, but that touch screen is so much more navigable than is the MA interface. However, if there is a similar tutorial for the Pa50 or Pa50SD that would be perfect, as the interface is pretty much identical as it uses the more cryptic screen shared by the MA.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: unhappy isnt the word for this micro arranger Reply with quote

losackmd wrote:

I have a medical degree i also have an IQ thats higher than most and
i cant accomplish a thing with the illogical set up this machine presents.
Im not bragging im just astonished that KORG makes things so difficult.
its time to get drunk.

As Willie Nelson said, "there's more old drunks than there are old doctors so I guess I'd better have another round"!
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: