Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be careful of static electricity!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Be careful of static electricity! Reply with quote

I attempted to insert a USB stick in my Kronos tonight, and just as I touched the tip of the USB connector to the USB port, the Screen display split in half and did a half-wrap around view of the Combi that was displayed and froze. I shut it down, for 20 seconds, and turned it back on without the USB stick. It gave me a message about one of my custom KSC not loaded. Then at the top of the screen it also said, "NO SAMPLES LOADED". Lo and behold, none of the sample based pianos worked, but other (non-sample) sounds worked. I shut it down again for 20 seconds. Reinserted my USB stick with the power OFF. Turned Kronos back on and all was back to normal. (Thank God). Shocked Its probably a good idea in these dry winter months to make sure you are discharged before touching anything metal on the Kronos. It could be a problem in my house since I believe I have a bad ground in all these outlets in this old apartment building.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this seems far fetched... but are you sure you didnt try pushing the usb stick in the wrong way? that would cause a small shock for sure and would warrant that behavior.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
navydave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
I know this seems far fetched... but are you sure you didnt try pushing the usb stick in the wrong way? that would cause a small shock for sure and would warrant that behavior.

No, it wasnt even anywhere near being plugged in, just barely touched, I figure a spark jumped or one did when I just barely made contact. I usually run a humidifier but its been off for a few days. Humidity was down to 20% (according to my digital thermometer in the living room where the Kronos is).
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

As far as I know, you can insert a USB-stick only in one way (unless you use a hammer Razz).
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible to jam it in the other way if you try hard enough at an angle... which in turn shorts the power pins... trust me, ive seen my fair share of messed up USB ports (not done by me though)

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a USB extension cable plugged in that snakes around to the bottom of my stand. Something to consider...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: