Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About Kronos CX-3 modelling engine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: About Kronos CX-3 modelling engine Reply with quote

I finally had a chance to play the Kronos yesterday... obviously quite scarce around here.

But anyway--I didn't have a lot of time to explore every feature in depth, but I do have a question. When I was paging through the various windows/tabs, I didn't see any envelope generator present in the CX-3 section. What happens if I want to modify the attack or release of an organ sound?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK that is not possible but why would you? There is also not such functionality on a real hammond organ.

Maybe you can output the sound of the CX3 as input for one of the other EXIs that has envelopes (AL1?).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
AFAIK that is not possible but why would you? There is also not such functionality on a real hammond organ.

That is correct, however, I have created special organ sounds with both my Triton and M3 that have slower attacks and longer release times. It helps create a different mood and fits well with certain songs I play.

I don't have a Kronos yet... but was quite curious about this feature.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create other organs in the HD1 Sampler and assign envelopes to them.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That basically defeats organ modeling with the Kronos then. Oh well... guess I have a lot to learn about tone wheel organs.

Bummer. Sad
popmann

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or about physical modelling tech...
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conceivably, you could layer a CX-3 and an AL-1 sound together in a program and use the EG from the AL-1 to manipulate the CX-3.

I haven't done this specific thing, but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that you could easily "re-sample" the organ sound that you're looking for, including any dynamic drawbar changes, and then simply process it like any other sample.

That said, Synthoid I think you have a few things to learn about the Hammond organ, and the CX3 engine.... The CX3 engine simply mimics a real hammond organ which has no Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release... it's simply a note on and note off...! The drawbars and expression pedal are what is used to effectively vary the ADSR of the organ tone, AND the percussion of course!
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
You can create other organs in the HD1 Sampler and assign envelopes to them.

Based on the purposes that you mention, I don't really think you need the CX3 engine for the sound you're looking for. You're talking about taking a basic organ and making it non-organ (but organ based) with the envelopes. This can be done in HD1 and I'm guessing that some of the stock HD1 organ sounds would be a good start for that.

Now, if you're looking to get a pretty good (impressive to most) hammond sound, the cx3 engine is just the ticket. I'm not an organ player, but I'm finding myself going to this engine more and more and learning more of its nuances... Great engine.

Chris
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
Based on the purposes that you mention, I don't really think you need the CX3 engine for the sound you're looking for. You're talking about taking a basic organ and making it non-organ

I really was looking forward to experimenting with the CX-3 engine... whenever I can afford the Kronos. It's just unfortunate a simple AR envelope generator wasn't included within the model.

While envelope generators would not be "true to form" with the original Hammond organ, I don't think it would be difficult to incorporate one into the CX-3 software.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
drchris wrote:
Based on the purposes that you mention, I don't really think you need the CX3 engine for the sound you're looking for. You're talking about taking a basic organ and making it non-organ

I really was looking forward to experimenting with the CX-3 engine... whenever I can afford the Kronos. It's just unfortunate a simple AR envelope generator wasn't included within the model.

While envelope generators would not be "true to form" with the original Hammond organ, I don't think it would be difficult to incorporate one into the CX-3 software.

That's true, but probably that also is the case for any of the other parameters.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help but ask - but did the original CX-3 have such an attack/release function?

Have looked at pictures of the Cx-3 and can't see such a thing.

But could be wrong - I hate organs so have no interest.

But, am curious - are you looking for the original sound, or an original sound you can make into something else?
ccmacdon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CX3 engine is designed to emulate a Hammond tonewheel organ, period. Neither the original Hammond, or the original CX3, had a variable attack/release function. The CX3 engine is not designed to be a "synthesized" version of the Hammond Organ, it's intended to recreate it exactly. If you want to play with the hammond sound, and "synthesize" it, simply resample the CX3 engine into the HD1 sample engine and process it any way you want! That's the beauty of the Kronos.

To suggest that we add features to the CX3 engine that are not part of the original design of the Hammond Organ is entirely contrary to the design and purpose of the CX3 engine in the first place... AND it's entirely contrary to what most us organ players would want or expect from the CX3 engine. When I dial up a CX3 program I want it to behave like a real Hammond.

That's not to say that you can't resample the CX3 engine and take the Hammond sound somewhere else.. by all means go ahead and go crazy, but recognize that for most of us organ players, the beauty of the CX3 engine is it's faithful recreation of the Hammond rather than the ability to go somewhere else with it.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
That basically defeats organ modeling with the Kronos then. Oh well... guess I have a lot to learn about tone wheel organs.(

I dont think it defeats Organ Modeling but STANDS for it...Modeling is Modeling,
you can ONLY do what the REAL one does...now, as someone sugested you can
take an HD-1 Sample and modify it...same as you did on M3 or Triton.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: About Kronos CX-3 modelling engine Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
I finally had a chance to play the Kronos yesterday... obviously quite scarce around here.

But anyway--I didn't have a lot of time to explore every feature in depth, but I do have a question. When I was paging through the various windows/tabs, I didn't see any envelope generator present in the CX-3 section. What happens if I want to modify the attack or release of an organ sound?

An organist does this with the volume pedal. I've done something similar to what you describe in the past, though, for Pink Floyd's "One of These Days." At least it sounded right to me when I was a young teen.

At any rate, I agree with the others who say that this would not be a welcome change to a modeling engine. It would make it more complicated (more parameters) and less authentic. The sampling engine, however, is designed to do this, and the possibility of routing it through one of the VAs as previously mentioned could be cool, too.

You could use your same argument for adding a bunch of subtractive synthesis capabilities to the piano. How many people would want that? At the point of mangling the original instrument into something else, I don't believe you're looking for the finest piano experience any longer, so samples would seem to be best.

If you're not into samples for your organ sounds, I recommend using sine waves to represent the various drawbar lengths and running those through a ton of effects (amp/speaker modelers and such). I've always gotten better tonewheel-like sounds that way since the Trinity days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: