Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using an 88 live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigiriuk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Using an 88 live Reply with quote

Just wondered how many of you regularly use your Kronos live and what your experiences are. Do you go through the PA, or use a separate amp, and if so what?
I use it at least weekly, but when I'm feeling lazy I take my Nord EX Compact - it's light.

I use a Mackie Thump 15in, and for Rotary - a MotionSound Pro3X.

BTW, Glad to see the Editor software has a sort of release date.
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it live at least two weekends a month.

In my flight case, the thing is really heavy - But it has simplified my setup considerably. Used to have Rack/Mac with vsti's, C2 Organ + TEX76 and Axiom 61. All in various combination.

Total setup time is reduced from 15-20 minutes to 5, so the bulkyness is worth it Very Happy

Usual setup is directly from the board to an SRM450v2.

I'm very pleased!
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will start using it on stage really soon and looking forward to it. I'm using a custom made flightcase. Yes it's heavy, but I can handle it on my own.

We usually use a PA, but I still own a rack case in which I have a rack mixer and a Behringer 4-channel DI rack. I do my own monitoring using a Mackie SRM350v2 speaker. This baby makes up for the weight of my Kronos and sounds great.

PRO: I bring less gear. I used to have a Fantom XR and a Hammond module in my rack as well. Soon I will try a wireless midi transmitter for my Keytar, so that I have 1 single sound source. That way I can remove the mixer as well...

CON: Doing everything with a single keyboard requires more programming. It takes longer for me to setup a combi with layers then simply selecting a program on 2 different synths. This problem usually presents itself during rehearsals... If I want to do something different, I sometimes keep the band waiting.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Qtipcore. Only difference is I run the Kronos to a Yamaha StagePAS 250M to a Radial JDI Duplex to the PA.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three or four gigs most weeks, stereo out from my keyboard mixer to FOH, ( using some other stuff as well as the K ), and stereo monitor mix to 2 Mackie SRM450s. Very happy with my setup now!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:

CON: Doing everything with a single keyboard requires more programming. It takes longer for me to setup a combi with layers then simply selecting a program on 2 different synths. This problem usually presents itself during rehearsals... If I want to do something different, I sometimes keep the band waiting.

I thought too about using only one workstation (Kronos), but I stick with two, also to easily switch sounds between chorus/verse and having 10 octaves under my hands.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JFree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few times a week. Direct to house/in ear monitors with my regular band. Motion Sound KBR 3D when I'm freelancing.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

I thought too about using only one workstation (Kronos), but I stick with two, also to easily switch sounds between chorus/verse and having 10 octaves under my hands.

There are many options available to quickly change sounds on Kronos
- Splits
- Layers (my Axiom 61 allows me to quickly change up to 4 MIDI channels, or even layer them)
- SST - use 2 different combis
I have 1 or 2 more "complex" combis that have up to 5 different sounds that I need in a single sound. Most of the others are simply 1 sound for each keyboard
- Use the vector joystick

But like I said, all of them require planning and preparation Smile
Spacenorman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Kronos 88 ... and use it as part of my live rig (which includes a Yamaha CP300, Motif ES Rack unit and an AX Synth). Each of the Left and Right outputs from the Kronos, CP300 and Motif ES Rack unit are connected to the Left and Righ input of a channel on an SM10 Line mixer - creating a keyboard submix. The main outs of the line mixer get sent to a pair of Yamaha DSR112s that serve as my stage monitors, the monitor send from the SM10 gets sent to the FOH, I use the "Effects Send" of the SM10 line mixer to feed a Shure PSM200 IEM system (so I can use my IEMs in high volume situations).

So far I'm really digging the Kronos - great sounds and with an incredibily intuitive user interface. Clearly there's a ton o'power under the hood.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gig about once a month and try to rehearse once a week. The rehearsel space is equipped with a P.A. So I just plug straight in.
Live I run mono into a Yorkville powered mixer to my 3 way custom built floor wedge. Right now we're only playing small rooms so only the vocals and kick drum run through the P.A. and my floor sound is enough to fill the room Later in a larger situation I'll use a stereo D.I. to the F.O.H. and still run my on rig for stage monitoring.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
yannthekeys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we play on a big stafe with my band, i use kronos 88, triton classic, trinity and dx7, both pre mixed in my 01x. The macbook pro sends sysex to both, through the 01x to control the program changes, via mainstage. I use psm200 ear monitors
Motif XF7 FL512

Yamaha CLP 220
Mackie 1642 vlz3
Motu 828mk2
Behringer rx1602
Shure PSM200 se425
SHURE PG10

Macbook pro unibody quad i7 2.2, 16go ram, ssd256
Mac mini core 2 duo 2.0
Ipad 16go
Iphone 4
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me the Kronos makes all your other boards redundant, perhaps apart from some specific MOSS patches you might have and absolutely need. Kronos reads DX7 patches and virtually all the samples from the Trinity and Triton are in there somewhere, even if the patches aren't directly compatible. If I may ask, why do you use (those) four boards live?
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play most weekends for worship and also travel once a month or so to play in other venues. I sometimes play solo, sometimes with a band. When I play solo, I use any combination of sequences, KARMA or piano and/or EP with or without layers. When I do vocals, I use a headset mic.

Whether playing solo or in the band, I run the Kronos and the mic into a Bose L1 with 2 bass bins. I'm still using the model 1 Bose with the smaller remote. I have the mixer remote velcroed to the left side of the Kronos giving me complete control of the sound right under my hands. With the Bose behind me, I know I'm hearing what the audience is hearing.
yannthekeys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use thoseboards cos, first i need 61 light touch for fast parts. The triton is a board that i own sinc 10 years, i program it and get the goals sound in few seconds. The trinity has a dynamic and a feeling that i can t get on the kronos. For the dx7,i play on an 80 s coverband, it s a kind of signature...
Motif XF7 FL512

Yamaha CLP 220
Mackie 1642 vlz3
Motu 828mk2
Behringer rx1602
Shure PSM200 se425
SHURE PG10

Macbook pro unibody quad i7 2.2, 16go ram, ssd256
Mac mini core 2 duo 2.0
Ipad 16go
Iphone 4
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Kronos 61 with an XP30 and sometimes DX7s.

Use to run a K2000, XP30 and a Mac running Mainstage, 828mk2 and Mackie submixer going out to the PA, and a crappy Roland Cube for monitoring.

Now I've got a Behringer (!) P16m/i Personal Mixer system and a set of ACS T1 iems.

I sometimes run the Cube for the band's reference but not as much now.

I heavily invested my time/energies into programming the Kronos when it turned up (on a Thursday - gigged it that Saturday night!) - now I have a few default combis for implementing new songs etc.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: