Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions about kronos' piano...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: questions about kronos' piano... Reply with quote

1. is it fully editable (in any ways that's possible)?
2. does it have something called "symphatetic string resonance"? i saw nord stage 2 on youtube and it's pretty cool with it's symphatetic string resonance.. i just think that the symphatetic string resonance is a thing that makes a piano achieve it's natural ambience..
3. is the piano sample directly accessed from the SSD?? is the sgx-1 engine didn't use any ram at all???

thx 4 your answers...

still waiting for my kronos
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: questions about kronos' piano... Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
2. does it have something called "symphatetic string resonance"? i saw nord stage 2 on youtube and it's pretty cool with it's symphatetic string resonance.. i just think that the symphatetic string resonance is a thing that makes a piano achieve it's natural ambience..
3. is the piano sample directly accessed from the SSD?? is the sgx-1 engine didn't use any ram at all???

thx 4 your answers...

First, there are three kinds of pianos: the acoustic piano model, electric piano model, and ' only' samples based (HD1).

You cannot change everything on the models, but that's not the intention, because it is a real representation of the instrument. Also 'in any what that is possible' is impossible or at least completely unuseful.

2: don't know

3 yes it is streamed from the SSD, but not 100%. Because as soon as you hit a key a sound is generated and even an SSD would be too slow for that. So the beginning of each sample is in RAM. I don't know how many % but only a small percentage of the complete amount.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about kronos' piano... Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
2. does it have something called "symphatetic string resonance"?

I believe it does, however it is called "damper resonance".
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damper resonance is not the same thing as sympathetic string resonance.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the less 'headline' type piano's sound better in a mix, to my ear. Although the 'headline HD1' pianos are beautiful, they can overwhelm the mix, where other sounds are used.

Hope you get your Kronos soon.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

I was under the impression that damper resonance was a form of sympathetic string resonance that occured when the damper pedal was depressed?

If it's not this, then what is damper resonance?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
MRedZac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

But what is it then ? Some fake by Nord ?
Digital Mixers only from Yamaha

http://www.mediacoustics.eu

You smoke electric cigarettes ? - Looking for the best liquid to refill them ? - See this:

http://www.steamshop24.eu
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos pianos do NOT have string resonance.
Kronos pianos DO have damper resonance.
Nord pianos have both!

String Resonance:
Any keys that are held down (even so lightly as to not produce a note) will resonate when another key in the same harmonic frequency is played.

Damper Resonance:
The noise that you hear on a real piano when you depress and release the damper (sustain) pedal.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Nord pianos have both!

String Resonance:
Any keys that are held down (even so lightly as to notU produce a note) will resonate when another key in the same harmonic frequency is played.

Damper Resonance:
The noise that you hear on a real piano when you depress and release the damper (sustain) pedal.

That's just what I was going to say lol Wink
Your the man Chuck!
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Nord pianos have both!

String Resonance:
Any keys that are held down (even so lightly as to not produce a note) will resonate when another key in the same harmonic frequency is played.

Damper Resonance:

It should be noted that one has a far more audible effect on the sound (damper: all strings).
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
Nord pianos have both!

String Resonance:

Damper Resonance:

It should be noted that one has a far more audible effect on the sound (damper: all strings).

That's correct! Another way of looking at it is that the damper (sustain) pedal lifts all dampers off the strings, whereas holding notes down lift the dampers only off those strings. Either way, the strings with the dampers lifted off of them (via either method) will resonate when any harmonic key(s) are played.

Last edited by PianoManChuck on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about kronos' piano... Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:

thx 4 your answers...

First, there are three kinds of pianos: the acoustic piano model, electric piano model, and ' only' samples based (HD1).

You cannot change everything on the models, but that's not the intention, because it is a real representation of the instrument. Also 'in any what that is possible' is impossible or at least completely unuseful.

2: don't know

3 yes it is streamed from the SSD, but not 100%. Because as soon as you hit a key a sound is generated and even an SSD would be too slow for that. So the beginning of each sample is in RAM. I don't know how many % but only a small percentage of the complete amount.

Since when is the SGX-1 a modeled piano engine? It isn't. It is a sample based engine. They might model a few of the effects, but in no way is it a modeled piano in the way of the V-piano, Pianoteq or even the SN pianos.

The SGX pianos have distinct velocity layers typical of a sample based piano. To say you can't adjust everything because you can't on real pianos doesn't even make sense. There are many adjustments that could be made to a real piano that you simply aren't accounted for in the SGX engine.

As someone who primarily plays acoustic, I also think sympathetic key resonance is important for solo playing. It definitely adds to the textures one can create with the a piano.

The only keyboards that have pianos with no velocity switching, no looping AND sympathetic key resonance (i.e. string resonance) are the V or SN pianos. I believe a smaller company is developing a modeled stage piano called Physis.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about kronos' piano... Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:

Since when is the SGX-1 a modeled piano engine? It isn't. It is a sample based engine. They might model a few of the effects, but in no way is it a modeled piano in the way of the V-piano, Pianoteq or even the SN pianos.

The SGX pianos have distinct velocity layers typical of a sample based piano. To say you can't adjust everything because you can't on real pianos doesn't even make sense. There are many adjustments that could be made to a real piano that you simply aren't accounted for in the SGX engine.

You are absolutely right. I worded my phrases a bit bad. With modeled I meant the non HD1 pianos. And yes, the base are still samples with modeled effects.

What I wanted to say with not being able to change everything was that it still should sound as a piano. If every possible parameter (whatever that may be) could be changed, the chance it would sound like a piano is very small.

Guess the missing parameters that cannot be changed while being possible to be changed on the piano gives Korg some work for SGX-2, 3 etc. Smile

Thank you for the clarification.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks guyz! you're all very helpful (special thx to chuck and michelkeijzers) Very Happy

does anyone had an experience on playing classics (classical music) on the kronos??? how does it feel (the piano)? is it really convincing to do classics on those piano??
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jordyzzz wrote:
ok thanks guyz! you're all very helpful (special thx to chuck and michelkeijzers) Very Happy

does anyone had an experience on playing classics (classical music) on the kronos??? how does it feel (the piano)? is it really convincing to do classics on those piano??

Yes - classical piano music feels great on the Kronos 88, and yes, even more convincing than some acoustic pianos out there. You basically have a Steinway D at your disposal (or you can spring an extra $249 for a Bosendorfer Imperial but overall, the Steinway D should more than suffice for classical).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: