Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug in Editor???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Bug in Editor??? Reply with quote

I've been trying to use the editor to assist with SEQ mode. In the Editor (stand alone, but I assume its the same in the plugin), you have a drop down list named "Track Select" from the PLAY/Midi Prog screen. The list is active (it allows you to select the different tracks on in the editor).....but my Kronos does not respond to it?????? I cannot change tracks on the editor and have the Kronos change tracks as well.

Can anyone else verify the same behavior? It appears this is non-functional...when it would be a nice feature to have.

Thanks for any input!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I just tried your example in the Plug and Standalone and can confirm your findings.
The box drops down and you have a selection for tracks but no communication to Kronos and Kronos doesn't change your track selection in the editor.
What a piece of work.

I keep trying, hoping that theres something I'm not seeing but it actually retards my process.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no parameter update message in the Kronos for this parameter. Set the value in the list and then transmit the song using "MIDI / Transmit Song" (ctl/cmd T) menu command and the parameter will update.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, what makes us Kronos users wonder:

How can it be, that the whole editor is completely dependant on sysex messages, leading to such funny results and workarounds as you just described, while Korg has complete direct access to the Kronos OS???

Doesn't that example show how poor the present concept is in practical use with a synth like the Kronos?
The whole thing reminds me a lot of times when it was convenient to write applications in Basic: that only went fine for small purposes, while complex programs became sluggish and hardly useable, requiring to be written in a faster program language like C or (in part) Assembler.

As the editor and the VSTi are now, their everyday usability factor, beyond just using the Kronos in the conventional way as we did before, is shockingly low. Did anybody at Korg or Soundquest have any vision or concept, any real goal concerning user concerns, before developing this lame sysex Kronos mirror???
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating a new format costs a lot of time, I mean a non sys-ex format.

Korg might add sys-ex messages that contain all needed data, or only a single parameter, which is very good possible.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
.Jens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it's really sad that the editor doesn't read/write the original PCG format. That would be really useful for offline-editing, checking out differences - to use it as librarian.

Did anyone take a look into the SQS data and compared it to PCG? Maybe it's just a container...?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel, I had adressed Michael from Soundquest, not you. Wink

Anyway, I have a hard time seeing ANY vision or concept behind the development of this editor, and more so of this so called "VSTi", which has a completely crippled functionality, compared to anything comparable on the market, and does not even write automation for recall.

The strongest point of Korg in a rapidly changing market has been their great working R&D team. The outsourced editor/vsti, along with many disturbing points during the last months, leaves an impression, as if they haven't such a strong R&D department any more. I am a strong Kronos supporter, and hope that the Japanese management understands the key role of a strong software team for the usability and reliability of a project like the Kronos. At the moment I am not sure they have put the priorities right concerning that.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jim,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't have probably any more insight information as you (regarding this topic), maybe they outsourced the project after having the Tsunami problems or leaving way for the keybed problems.

I have to be honest to say I don't use a daw so the editor I only use sparingly.

I also don't know anything about the size of the R&D team ... I know several people within Korg, but don't know how many are from R&D and what is changed over the past years.

Since software is getting more and more important, especially with the direction of the Kronos engine which is mostly software based, I hope the R&D team of Korg will not be limited to 'as small as possible'.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me point out that the proposed workaround does not work. Hitting cmd T to retransmit the song does in fact change tracks as was proposed. Simple enough. But it also erases any previously recorded *unsaved* data in the Kronos sequencer. So it's more like: record data, save song, change track in editor, then hit cmd T. Versus simply changing the track on the hardware. So this feature is effectively useless in real life.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Let me point out that the proposed workaround does not work. Hitting cmd T to retransmit the song does in fact change tracks as was proposed. Simple enough. But it also erases any previously recorded *unsaved* data in the Kronos sequencer.

If you're using Ableton and the editor as a plug-in and in focus, the shortcut ctl/cmd T adds a new return track in Live.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny.....because this feature I wrote about would be a really cool feature to have. But alas its not functional in a useful way. But what makes it "useful", is that it would add a convenience *beyond the hardware itself*. THIS is what this particular editor seems to miss....rather, it mirrors the hardware, and even then its not a 100% mirror, as illustrated by this very issue.

So in every way that I try to find the usefulness of the editor in my workflow (and I REALLY am trying), it fails, as its just easier, quicker, and the same to just do it on the hardware.

At the end of the day, really, the editor is predominantly a somewhat limited librarian. Other than perhaps you can try to achieve a larger sized view of the Kronos screen (that is, IF you have a low enough resolution monitor, because on any modern monitor, the editor interface is not much bigger than the Kronos hardware screen).

I guess its not such a big deal...its only an editor...and it doesn't change the awesomeness of the Kronos as a synth.....but in my years of working with synths and their various software editors, this one is a real enigma.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Jens wrote:
In my opinion it's really sad that the editor doesn't read/write the original PCG format. That would be really useful for offline-editing, checking out differences - to use it as librarian.
?

Now that would've been awesome.

My Kronos stays at the location where my band rehearses, so I don't have access to it at home. It would be very nice I could prepare combis at home and finetune them during rehearsal.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Let me point out that the proposed workaround does not work.

I was speaking from teh perspective of the stand alone application. Since cmd functions are tied directly to the menus, and that a properly of the OS, they won't work in the plug-in but you can still accomplish the same thing from the editor's context menu.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

How can it be, that the whole editor is completely dependant on sysex messages, leading to such funny results and workarounds as you just described, while Korg has complete direct access to the Kronos OS???

Jim, all of the editors out there use SysX to communicate with their instruments. Those from Roland, Yamama, Korg, Kurzweil, or virtually any other company out there including apps for the iPad (yes, I realize this statement doesn't apply to instruments that are strictly analog). It would actually be a serious mistake on Korg's part to use anything else at this point. I could could probably write several pages explaining why but I really don't think that that is necessary.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundQuest wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

Jim, all of the editors out there use SysX to communicate with their instruments. Those from Roland, Yamama, Korg, Kurzweil, or virtually any other company out there including apps for the iPad (yes, I realize this statement doesn't apply to instruments that are strictly analog). It would actually be a serious mistake on Korg's part to use anything else at this point. I could could probably write several pages explaining why but I really don't think that that is necessary.

++1 .. Yes, Sysex is the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: