Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have to get this off my chest about the editor/USB driver...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Have to get this off my chest about the editor/USB driver... Reply with quote

You know I can think of very few things that suck more than doing a wedding gig and your DJ application won't open because the USB driver for the EDITOR keeps spewing errors that it's not connected in an INFINITE loop. To the point I HAD TO UNINSTALL IT so I could play music for the guests on our breaks!

I just wanted to thank the programmers for doing such an abhorrently shitty job. Before you blame my application, it's been ROCK SOLID for 5 years. I've only had this problem since installing the editor!
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Have to get this off my chest about the editor/USB drive Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Before you blame my application, it's been ROCK SOLID for 5 years. I've only had this problem since installing the editor!

Huh?? "Rock Solid for 5 years"? Kronos has barely been around for a year!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Have to get this off my chest about the editor/USB drive Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
NuSkoolTone wrote:
Before you blame my application, it's been ROCK SOLID for 5 years. I've only had this problem since installing the editor!

Huh?? "Rock Solid for 5 years"? Kronos has barely been around for a year!

He's talking about his DJ app not Kronos!

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock solid for 5 years? You should get that checked man, I've heard 4 hours is dangerous!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
robkeith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hope that very, I mean very soon there are some updates, to this package that not only should have been released a long time ago, but should have been a diva of excellence. It's shoddy. Yamaha and Roland seem to be able to get it right. I' very disappointed Korg. This has been a retrograde step, and although the synth is a killer, the quality control, cheap plastic bits, keyboard keys and now the editor all make this a poor result.

It's not good enough to deliver unfinished product, and one hopes that you all get this right because when it comes to new product, it's going to be had to convince anyone that it's ready to buy.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be contentious here - but just observations given the way things have turned out.

Yamaha - Karma v3 (can't comment about build quality or OS stuff as have never owned one)

Roland - iPad editing wirelessly (build quality - no issues, OS bugs? None)

Korg? Re-packaged OASYS. With 7 year old sequencer. Very little that's new in truth. Build quality (of Kronos - not a comment about any other Korg keyboard) - questionable. Editor? Fine for 1990 standard.

Reason for posting - keeping it real. I want Korg to be #1; I really do. I wish they had a keyboard I lusted after the same way as the OASYS or my first keyboard, the Delta.

My earnest hope, meant with care and genuine support, is that Korg learn from this experience - whilst it is all very good to say 'get in touch with support; we'll sort it out', it doesn't address the points - how the problems arose in the first place - and what has been put in place to prevent them in the future.

I honestly believe that Korg should be top of the tree - but until Korg admits its mistakes (conceptual, marketing and production) then it will be sometime before they enjoy that position again.

Last edited by cello on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robkeith wrote:
Man I hope that very, I mean very soon there are some updates, to this package that not only should have been released a long time ago, but should have been a diva of excellence. It's shoddy. Yamaha and Roland seem to be able to get it right. I' very disappointed Korg. This has been a retrograde step, and although the synth is a killer, the quality control, cheap plastic bits, keyboard keys and now the editor all make this a poor result.

It's not good enough to deliver unfinished product, and one hopes that you all get this right because when it comes to new product, it's going to be had to convince anyone that it's ready to buy.

My Korg is working fine, I don't have cheap plastic bits, keys are fine and the editor is maybe not top of the edge but it does what it supposed to do.

And the product is unfinished? What exactly do you mean with unfinished? Is something missing?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Have to get this off my chest about the editor/USB drive Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
You know I can think of very few things that suck more than doing a wedding gig and your DJ application won't open because the USB driver for the EDITOR keeps spewing errors that it's not connected in an INFINITE loop. To the point I HAD TO UNINSTALL IT so I could play music for the guests on our breaks!

I just wanted to thank the programmers for doing such an abhorrently shitty job. Before you blame my application, it's been ROCK SOLID for 5 years. I've only had this problem since installing the editor!

Sorry to hear you ran into problems ... why didn't you check it beforehand when it is so critical for your gig? Then you might have called Korg Support's or help here.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
Rock solid for 5 years? You should get that checked man, I've heard 4 hours is dangerous!

ROFL
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you people are become as contentious as Roland keyboard owners.

Yamaha Motif XF Karma 3 is not available yet. And while the XF is comparable to the Kronos, It only a sample based keyboard, but the iPad apps work just as advertised.

While you can't compare a Jupiter to a Kronos, the iPad apps are not available yet. And here again this a sample based keyboard, not a multi-engine beast.

No body has ever given us the power of the Kronos for the price, not even Korg.

And I know of no pro's who would run some editor in a live situation, a place and time most software tends to crash. (let alone not test systems, and pro's dedicate PC to a few compatible software packages, and don't surf the net on the same machine running the show.)

Editors make no sounds and don't really provide any reasonable performance features. Are they really that important?

Oh and you guys forgot the Fantom G, which forum whinners basically got Roland to drop all support of. A fine, well feature keyboard, that still sounds great.

We, as a special customer group, need to become proactive, positive and constructive. Working to solve problems as a group and stop the whinning and half-assed comparisons to other companies and products. Oh no, now I am whinning. Shocked
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
you people are become as contentious as Roland keyboard owners.

Yamaha Motif XF Karma 3 is not available yet. And while the XF is comparable to the Kronos, It only a sample based keyboard, but the iPad apps work just as advertised.

While you can't compare a Jupiter to a Kronos, the iPad apps are not available yet. And here again this a sample based keyboard, not a multi-engine beast.

No body has ever given us the power of the Kronos for the price, not even Korg.

And I know of no pro's who would run some editor in a live situation, a place and time most software tends to crash. (let alone not test systems, and pro's dedicate PC to a few compatible software packages, and don't surf the net on the same machine running the show.)

Editors make no sounds and don't really provide any reasonable performance features. Are they really that important?

Oh and you guys forgot the Fantom G, which forum whinners basically got Roland to drop all support of. A fine, well feature keyboard, that still sounds great.

We, as a special customer group, need to become proactive, positive and constructive. Working to solve problems as a group and stop the whinning and half-assed comparisons to other companies and products. Oh no, now I am whinning. Shocked

The Jupiter isn't sample based like the Motif. In fact each of the acoustic SN models is effectively a separate engine, not to mention the VA.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

But don't sit down as the JP80 boots up in about the time it takes to read this sentence.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably just me, but I don't seem to be able to find the word Kronos in NuSkoolTone's post.

For some strange reasons, I still believe he was only talking about USB driver error for the Editor that messed up his DJ Application he's been using for the past 5 years! No?

Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that people are somewhat valid in their concerns and their whining.

Over the years I've owned many different synths, first synth ever was a Korg M500 Micropreset, next Korg was the Trident Mk II

First Roland was the Juno 106, followed by D50 then D70 (I loved the D70, a lot of people didn't seem to)

And my favourite synth over the years was probably my Ensoniq sq80

My point being, I have a lot of respect for all of them including Yamaha (and I've never even owned one). I don't rate one company over another, they all seem to have a good track record over the years with their pro synth/workstation ranges.

I recently sold my 73 note M3 with Radias and ended up with a 88 note Triton extreme with Moss instead (couldn't afford 88 note M3 at the time else would have gone that route instead).

I think I'm correct in saying that almost without exception the build quality has always been extremely good and I've always felt like I've got a solid beast sitting on my stand/table.

The only exception to this was my M3. Yes I understand it was built to be modular but due to this, it never really felt that solid to me. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

Sometimes when things come out there are teething problems. Sometimes things materialise much later in a products life (such as the glue coming off D70 key weights around 15 years down the line).

It happens to all companies.

But reading between the lines, this isn't a whine about the Kronos (that I am still hoping to end up with this year) I have concerns that something isn't right within the Korg organisation. It seems like too many corners were cut with regards to quality control and future thinking with the Kronos.

Yes they have fixed some of them, but it should never have gone out the factory with the original data wheel.

It should never had needed cardboard inserts when transporting.

The keybed problem, well stuff happens, I can understand how that was missed, would have liked a bit more feedback although I realise most companies are silent on these sorts of issues.

The editor, it may well be functional but I cant understand how anyone can stick up for Korg over this. I've downloaded it and had a play, and even without owning a Kronos, I can see instantly how dated and clumsy it feels, and supplying that to your flagship product, does make me have slightly raised eyebrows.

Then there's other little things that most of us could think of in 5 mins. Why on my Triton or my M3 could I easily upgrade the memory myself (even if M3 memory is extortionate) yet there's no simple slot to remove to do this on the Kronos.

Every laptop manufacture can manage it on dirt cheap products, even a desktop where you have to remove the cover, I've yet to see one personally where if we contact them, it will invalidate the warranty if we remove the case to put in our own memory. Sure I can understand why Korg don't want people removing the Kronos case, but we shouldn't have needed to if a little more thought was put into it.

Same for the SSD, most laptops have a simple plate, you remove and slide out the harddrive, it's obvious that within a few months to a year, many owners owners of the Kronos will want to have bigger and bigger SSD's in it.

The Kronos being effectively a Custom PC with it's own op system. all this should be even easier (and cheaper) to accommodate than for a product using a custom designed motherboard etc.

Now I'm not meaning to knock the Kronos with what I've said, I'm simply saying that with things like that, it worries me that things have deteriorated somewhat at Korg with say a different management having different priorities and I do worry about the future and where Korgs management is trying to take the company.

I think that my opinion is valid based on what I've witnessed over the months and while I understand some people happy with their Kronos getting sick of people complaining, personally I think Korg management need to know how unhappy many long time owners are at the way things seem to have gone with this particular product release.

Sure you have die hard fans of brands, whether it's apple, korg, Roland, Sony or whatever, who don't like to see a word said against their beloved brand.

But for most people we pay our money and we expect good quality, well thought out products and it can sometimes just take one major screw up by a company to loose a lot of customers faith in that company.

Someone like Apple can absorb it, has the media hype and the money to get over it, someone like Korg probably don't. A lot of people are now weary about Korg, I personally, while still intend getting a Kronos, am watching carefully with regards to the direction they are heading. if I'm 100% honest, if the competition released something similar, at present, I would probably pick the competition due to the above. Which is sad. But if I feel a bit like that, then rest assured, many others will too. And simply telling them to stop whining, will only distance them still further.

I was in the process of writing the above when I read in another tab, the currently stickied "Petition Korg Poll for Karma 3 for the Kronos" thread and read what Stephen Kay says.

Quote:

Regarding putting KARMA 3 inside a Korg product, i.e. Kronos, I can't get too deeply into commenting on that, other than to say there's been a shortage of resources for a long time in Korg's engineering dept., and I think you can see from the fact that it's been three years since a KARMA update (other than bug fixes and making it run on the Kronos) how high of a priority that is. Slightly frustrating to me, but I've accepted it and hence am now moving forwards more on my own and targeting a new group of customers on a different platform.

A comment like that only fuels my concerns further (and makes me wonder what he would have really liked to have been able to say)

And my previous comment above where I mention if the competition release something similar, it's looking like if I wanted the latest Karma, with Korgs current priorities, if the likes of Yamaha brought out a similar product, Korg could well end up being left behind.

Again this isn't a whine against Korg, it's the exact opposite, it's me being concerned for Korg and hoping they get their act together. I see most of the whining as constructive. If Korg (or anyone else for that matter) really think that editor is suitable for a flagship product then my mind boggles.

While the Kronos is a superb beast, I can't help feeling that the engineers and management sat around a table, the engineers said "if we do xyz it will be the envy of the world" and the management said "but if we do abc they will buy it anyway and we can save £50 per instrument"

best

Joe

Last edited by Ojustaboo on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Dany

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
I don't mean to be contentious here - but just observations given the way things have turned out.

Yamaha - Karma v3 (can't comment about build quality or OS stuff as have never owned one)

Roland - iPad editing wirelessly (build quality - no issues, OS bugs? None)

Korg? Re-packaged OASYS. With 7 year old sequencer. Very little that's new in truth. Build quality (of Kronos - not a comment about any other Korg keyboard) - questionable. Editor? Fine for 1990 standard.

Reason for posting - keeping it real. I want Korg to be #1; I really do. I wish they had a keyboard I lusted after the same way as the OASYS or my first keyboard, the Delta.

My earnest hope, meant with care and genuine support, is that Korg learn from this experience - whilst it is all very good to say 'get in touch with support; we'll sort it out', it doesn't address the points - how the problems arose in the first place - and what has been put in place to prevent them in the future.

I honestly believe that Korg should be top of the tree - but until Korg admits its mistakes (conceptual, marketing and production) then it will be sometime before they enjoy that position again.

+1 Applause

-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: