Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saving songs from sequencer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay I did not read that anywhere in the manuals....how does one do that when the Kronos only has 200 slots?

I mean how does one add another "batch"...I did ask this before but got no reply...does the Kronos "auto" create a new Song base of 200, each time one gets filled?
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'slot' principal doesn't apply here...

Page 499 of Kronos parameter guide (I'm looking at the v1 manual) says:

Quote:
The sequencer lets you record a maximum of
400,000 MIDI events (or 300,000 audio events), up
to 200 songs, and as many as 999 measures per
song.

That's per file!

So lets say you have 1000 songs - any one of which you may need at a gig... on your USB you could have no less than 5 song files, each containing 200 songs - perhaps the song titles could be arranged alphabetically for easy finding and file 1 is called A to E, file 2 is called F to K, etc.

So there are up to 200 'slots' if you like in each .SNG file (as a max), but a limitless number of SNG files you can have ready to load up. But the maximum active song 'content' of the sequencer at any one time is 200 songs.

Hope that helps a little!

OFF TOPIC - Enjoyed watching your vid on the iPad midi controlling you did on the PAx - very neat and clever!
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cello re Youtube vid!! Yeah it was a great system, and if I can get my head around this sequencer/song thing, I can also set up the same for the Kronos.

According to the K manuals, I can select Set List entries via midi over the K control channel using simple bank and patch commands....so yeah the same system should apply.

As for this .sng issue.....I did read that page on the Par Guide (and a few more Wink ) but all I am getting is this max of 200, now you say that's "per file" how does one create a new "file" ?

I have a few songs already done, and all they seem to do is save/load into the next available slot in the song list of 200...not as separate files....

PS: EDIT ....I think I now have it... I just turned on my K again now, and discovered that the sequencer was empty...nothing in the slots...So then the "penny dropped", it DOES save each song file separately. However if I want to load several "sequences" at once, I can actually save them in this one "Song Slot List" - up to the maximums previously discussed- so if necessary they all load at once.

Okay so if I have this right, it is simply that each song file I create can actually have more than one sequence attached to it......or just one sequence if I choose.

I already have setup the three songs I have done as separate Set List entries, so that part works okay Smile
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
Okay so if I have this right, it is simply that each song file I create can actually have more than one sequence attached to it......or just one sequence if I choose.

By george, I think he's got it! Hence why (I think), Korg elected to use the .SNG suffix - if it was .SEQ, it would imply only one sequence or song. A .SNG file is a library of sequences (or in the way we are discussing it, songs).

Dang it - I just typed a huge reply and you beat me to it... Wink

That's great about penny dropping - always a nice moment! I will though keep the following ending to my post:

My biggest word of caution however is this - each .SNG file you load up remains faithful to whatever sounds you have loaded in the K at that time. For example - you've bought Karo Symph Library. You find however (for whatever reason) that you need to switch a library off - say the Piano or Brass to create room for it.

Now you record a song (even just one) in the sequencer using the KSL sounds. All fine; save it. A month later you remember you must finish that track off - you load it up and you find that it either sounds not right, or doesn't sound at all. That's when you realise that you unloaded the KSL so you could reload the piano and/or brass.

So once you get your head round the filing thing, bear in mind which sounds are loaded for your seq or rather .SNG files. If you can't keep track of such things you should consider 'Saving All' in disk mode as this will save the .SNG file along with the sounds that were loaded at that time...

Hopefully I've not made things more complicated Confused Laughing
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cello thanks m8 Smile nah all good...now I have the saving/storing thing sorted the advice re the sounds is well noted, and understood...that part of the proceedings I can understand fully....

You have no idea at how relieved I am, as this Kronos is the BEST synth I have used, and ticks all the boxes....now if we can only get Korg to commission SK to do Karma 3 for "on-board" use Rolling Eyes

I am still to get into the Karma stuff, but from what I have read and seen so far, if I keep to very basic stuff re Karma, I should be able to "get" it as well...I also want to use Karma to play live "backings" as it were.

On the PA's (keyboards) I had -since the PA1 - this was how I gigged. Some songs were over backing tracks and others I played live using minimal arranger style tracks. Usually only drums bass and guitar, I chopped out the other style tracks - WAY too busy!!!!

Anyway, I am a happy camper again, so thanks for sticking with it for me, and to the others who contributed....and my apologies for being so slow on the uptake!!!

Cheers
Dennis
vin52ny

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Saving Sequence from Slot S001 Reply with quote

Ok, I really don't get it - I read the manual - pg. 107 of the OP Guide - It is not working as explained. I have a sequence completed in Sequence mode - Slot S001 When I go to the menu in the upper right there is nothing that allows me to save the sequence either to the HDD or my Thumb Drive. I go to Disk mode and created a Songs Folder - I open the folder and go to the menu in the Save tab. When I ask it to Save Seq it creates a .SNG File with 8 different files in it? I am confused. I know it was much easier in my M3's when I had them? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Vin
Question
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You create your sequence in sequencer mode.
Then you go to disk mode, save tab and from the dropdown menu select "save sequence".
You save it either to HDD or USB stick and name your song.
A song is a collection of your sequences, so you can name it "my songs.SNG" for example.
When you start your Kronos, you can load your collection of sequences by going to disk mode, load tab and loading the "my songs.SNG" file.
Then go to sequencer mode and all your sequences will show there.

The confusing part in my opinion is that it's called "save sequence" where it should have been called "save songs".
A song-file can contain many sequences after all.
So you don't have to save a file for each sequence you make,
but save all sequences in one file, so to speak.
vin52ny

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Converting .SNF to ? Reply with quote

Firstly, thanks Yuma for the response. I now have the .SNG file on my thumb drive as I wanted, but now can I convert it to anything that someone without a korg keyboard can listen to? Can it be converterted to a midi file or an audio file? I have it on my PC and so far nothing can read it. I'll try Ableton Live Lite, but that seems a bit difficult. Going to try anyway..

Thanks..
Still Learning
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMR wrote:
miden wrote:

But this system is so convoluted...

Seems like the Kronos Graphical User Interface ergonomony was thought up by an engineer with no social life and it's programming done by a designer with no coding skills...

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Sequence from Slot S001 Reply with quote

vin52ny wrote:
Ok, I really don't get it - I read the manual - pg. 107 of the OP Guide - It is not working as explained. I have a sequence completed in Sequence mode - Slot S001 When I go to the menu in the upper right there is nothing that allows me to save the sequence either to the HDD or my Thumb Drive.

Try following the instructions again. It sounds to me like you may have skipped steps 2 and/or 3:

2. Press the DISK button to enter Disk mode.

3. Select the Disk–Save page by pressing the File tab, and then the Save tab.

vin52ny wrote:
I go to Disk mode and created a Songs Folder - I open the folder and go to the menu in the Save tab. When I ask it to Save Seq it creates a .SNG File with 8 different files in it? I am confused. I know it was much easier in my M3's when I had them? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Vin
Question

M3 works the exact same way.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Converting .SNF to ? Reply with quote

vin52ny wrote:
Firstly, thanks Yuma for the response. I now have the .SNG file on my thumb drive as I wanted, but now can I convert it to anything that someone without a korg keyboard can listen to? Can it be converterted to a midi file or an audio file? I have it on my PC and so far nothing can read it. I'll try Ableton Live Lite, but that seems a bit difficult. Going to try anyway..

Thanks..
Still Learning

This part of the manual might be helpful:
Operation Guide -> Loading & saving data, and creating CDs -> Creating and playing audio CDs -> Part 1: Bouncing to disk

Btw, on the previous topic, note that you can also load individual Songs from an SNG file, just as you can load individual Programs etc. from a PCG file.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: