Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing EXs by other EXs - the most elegant way?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Replacing EXs by other EXs - the most elegant way? Reply with quote

After reorganizing my whole Kronos after OS 15./1.6 and SSD upgrade, I would als like to update the whole system to some EXi choices I made.

For example, I would like to replace the Japanese Grand from all it's present programs by the Austrian Grand - and then remove the Japanese grand from autoload, because I prefer using the Austrian instead.

I am considering the same for replacing the factory jazz drums by the Ricky Lawson drumset (but I still have to check if the drum maps are completely or mostly identical).

As we have got enough place for user patches and combis since OS 1.5, I don't want to delete the Japanese grand and jazz set patches, but just update their instrument reference for compatibility reasons with combis (and possible user combis depending on them).

My question for such cases is simply:
- do I have to do it manually one by one (I know how to do that)
- or is there any more elegant, less time consuming way?

Last edited by jimknopf on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCG Tools for Korg Kronos, Oasys, M3, M50, all Tritons,Karma
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know I can use pcgtools, but that still means: replacing program references to a library manually, one by one, within the programs, does it?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not yet possibly to 'globally' change a program to another in the way you want it (based on waveforms).

I can add it to the wish list. However it is quite some work (because I support all kind of different workstations and waveform handling is quite different on each).

Btw, are there that many programs using the Japanese grand? The problem is, to be sure you have to check ALL programs.

And a bit offtopic: there also is currently not a way to change a program into another (i.e. replace all program in combis/set list slots to another program). I will add this to the wish list too. This one is reasonably easy.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Michel, I understand that the first is not easy to program.
Anyway great you try to implement the second perhaps some day.

Yes, I hope the programs using the Japanese Grand are not too many.
But replacing one drum library by another is probably a lot of more work manually.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Thanks, Michel, I understand that the first is not easy to program.
Anyway great you try to implement the second perhaps some day.

Yes, I hope the programs using the Japanese Grand are not too many.
But replacing one drum library by another is probably a lot of more work manually.

If it means to change also every drum sound within a drum program than probably yes, it's a lot of work.

Afaik, there will not be major RAM upgrades for the Kronos (i.e. 3GB will probably be the limit for Kronos (1)). In that case, there will always be a 'sample' RAM shortage meaning that PCG Tools might be the ideal tool for handling programs based on samples better (i.e. checking which programs using a sample, or even which combis use a sample) and changing sample ID numbers in programs.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

I guess the Japanese piano's are only used in Program INT-A006-A011, so only in 6 programs.

All the rest in Combi's would refert to those

So maybe manually is not that much work?

Ad

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if it's only those 6 programs, no big deal. I wasn't sure I if overlooked other programs with the Japanese grand.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit confused by the thread title, but I assume you mean EXs rather than EXi?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what if you download an external PCG which you want to modify? Then you don't know beforehand what samples are being used.

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many abbreviations, SeedyLee Wink
I edited the thread title.

Michel, no idea what you refer to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: