Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the current opinion on OS 1.6.0 ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: What's the current opinion on OS 1.6.0 ? Reply with quote

I upgraded to 1.6.0 as soon as it came out. But posts about bugs in 1.6.0 worried me and I could easily reproduce those problems. I am now back to 1.5.0 as I think several posters are. But its not a fix all. The EG2 to HPF bug in the MS20ex is also present in 1.5.0. The long delays when loading several wav files in disk mode is still there in 1.5.0 (it was the first thing I noticed when I got the Kronos). And the Karma bug has a work around.

So I'm wondering if it is still worth it to be on 1.5.0. I don't think 1.5 is better than 1.6. Are there any real benefits to stay on 1.5?

Regards,
BF
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any issues until 1.6. I experienced the Karma problem and thanks to Stephen's workaround I'm okay with that now.

This evening I turned on the K and 3 out of 5 combis played terrible, factory and my own. (Karma wise and audio)
So I rebooted and no change. Reloaded the necessary data from the factory and it seems to be good now but it's been erratic with little things that I can't put a finger on just yet.
Also I've noticed a difference in my audio output being hotter. I'm using the spdif outs and have had zero problems till now.
Don't know if any of this is 1.6 related? Will wait for 1.7, I'm not going backwards unless I absolutly have to.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What's the current opinion on OS 1.6.0 ? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
LivePsy wrote:
I upgraded to 1.6.0 as soon as it came out. But posts about bugs in 1.6.0 worried me and I could easily reproduce those problems. I am now back to 1.5.0 as I think several posters are. But its not a fix all. The EG2 to HPF bug in the MS20ex is also present in 1.5.0. The long delays when loading several wav files in disk mode is still there in 1.5.0 (it was the first thing I noticed when I got the Kronos). And the Karma bug has a work around.

So I'm wondering if it is still worth it to be on 1.5.0. I don't think 1.5 is better than 1.6. Are there any real benefits to stay on 1.5?

Regards,
BF

I never upgraded to 1.6 and I'm glad I didn't because of the bugs.

Stupid editor is what I'm REALLY mad about, though.....And it REQUIRES 1.6! Ugh!

Sina

I think it's quite valid to need a new OS after noticing some parts are not implemented because of the editor, especially if it has been done third party. Of course, this does not say anything about the quality/reliability of the editor itself.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AMR

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
This evening I turned on the K and 3 out of 5 combis played terrible, factory and my own. (Karma wise and audio)

Same thing has been hapenning here, not while turning on and off but, KARMA patterns seem to differ, in some programs as hours go by, from what they originally were to something slightly different (no random seeds configured) - haven't gotten to have an alteration as far as "terrible" yet, but different in such a sutle way it is enough to spoil some compositions I had made assuming the previous (slightly different) pattern.

Started happening with 1.6.
Not messing with the MS20, sadly, because my synth edits go very deep and I react very, er, peculiarly to bugs and there's enough happening around to trigger a world war already...

It's sort of unbelievable, to say the least (netiquette obliges) a v1.61 hasn't gone out yet!!!

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMR, did you read my comment that the MS20 bug is in 1.5 also?

I think 1.5 is the oldest I can use because I won't live without extra ram and user banks. So an earlier version is not possible. Does 1.6 introduce any bugs other than the karma?

Cheers,
B
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou and AMR, have you downgraded to 1.5 to check if your random craziness problems are still happening?

I can't see that the 1.6 is the cause of things changing at random. I suspect you have a hardware fault.

Cheers,
B
Sparker

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read many of the comments on the forum about the editor and plug-in I decided against upgrading to OS. 1.6

From what I gather, there's no advantage to me in installing the editor as I've managed to get a handle on the touchscreen operations, which suits me fine - (A touchscreen pen does the job as well as a mouse would AFAIC.)

I've stuck to using standard midi in-out from my Cubase so no need for the plug-in either.

Everything is working as normal for me on OS 1.5 so can't see the need to upgrade until a version comes along that offers more functionality (like the extra banks that came with 1.5)

I've just got the KK KARMA software running in tandem with KT (KARMA Triton software) on the same PC, so the last thing I want is anything that may start making random or spontaneous changes to my KARMA configurations/sets/etc).

Line 6 Flextone XL / Line 6 POD XT / Roland V Bass / Ampeg Portabass & Cab / Assorted Guitars (no whammy bar) ... and a Fender Champ ...
AMR

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
Lou and AMR, have you downgraded to 1.5 to check if your random craziness problems are still happening?

I can't see that the 1.6 is the cause of things changing at random. I suspect you have a hardware fault.

Cheers,
B

It did not happen with 1.5 as far as I can say (some of my patches have gained complexity but some of the patches that have subtle changes were already there in 1.5, however, I just did not used them that much so, cutting some slack here, for now, in wait until others report the same.

I don't think it's an hardware fault, Kronos is rather stable (it's a PC board for all it matters). All indicates a software bug, hard to put your finger on, but there's gremlins there for sure, nothing fatal, but depending on how you use the keyboard, some may be annoying, although you can work around most if not all.

On the subject of hardware problems, my keyboard has the RH3 problem, still negotiating with the dealer a date for the fix (I use the keyboard a lot, it's hard to part with it, even if for a short limited time). Problem aside it's an extremely confortable keyboard, has to be said, my opinion of course.

However, and the question remains, there's at least 2 identified bugs which seem easy to fix (w/Karma and MS20), arguably livable, so what's with Korg for not releasing a 1.61 yet?

(and even by then, I think I'll wait for others to testdrive it first... )

If downgrade means factory install I'm not in the mood... Cool
But since I use the Editor sparely, it's a poor (and crippling) option, in my particular case.

Kind Regards,
AMR
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any research but can someone tell me if 1.5 can be reinstalled over 1.6?
If this behavior continues I may have to go back. Thanks.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, I did a downgrade from 1.6 to 1.5 booting from the DVDs. First I did a Full Install. Because the bug was still in the MS20, I then did a Format install and it was exactly the same result. I didn't need to reauthorize.

This put me back to 1.0.6. So whatever version it is, try using the factory sounds loaded and see if there are any problems.

Cheers,
BF
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much more helpful to see a statement from Korg staff here, showing us that they are
a) aware of all bugs mentioned by users so far (Karma, MS-20, instability issues/crashes, whatever) and
b) working on a quickfix which will not last months but a few weeks to arrive.

There are enough Kronos users meanwhile using the board for regular gigs, and they just need a clear signal of stability and reliability of the OS (while some are still having trouble with keybed issues).

This fantastic synth needs as much stability (both concerning hardware/keybed and OS) as possible, and that as fast as possible. Everthing else (has already and) will hurt the Kronos reputation a lot.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Kronos having upgraded straight from v1.0.x to 1.6 after buying it. 1.6 had only just come out at the time.
I ran into the MS20 and KARMA issues straight away, however KARMA bug was the only one that was really limiting, and I managed to get around that pretty quickly once the workaround was found. Knowing to select the GE twice, it's just not a problem.

I haven't had any crashes or stability issues. (although my MS2000B crashed out recently, perhaps in disgust at it's replacement).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad, but as of today I had Kronos freeze on me twice, not very happy at the moment.
I've had zero problems since I purchased it. Now after 1.6 sorry to say all, but there are gremlins lurking within.
I don't play out but if I did I would not be very comfortable as the problems occur randomly if not all.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you reloaded the factory PCG just to check its not something corrupt in the banks?

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: