Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many using the Kronos live?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use the Kronos for live gigs 1 or more times a week?
Yes
63%
 63%  [ 63 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 100

miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: How many using the Kronos live? Reply with quote

How many Kronos owners are there on this forum who use the Kronos for actual gigging work, and NOT just the bedroom?

There does not seem to be many gig related stories here, and the only gig related comments seem to be those only of Kronos failure when used live...
theo73

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that as well. A lot of home studio users. Those that do gig with it seem to be of the occasional gig variety. Like a couple times a month at best.

I think you could get a more accurate poll by giving options for how many times a month or year do you gig. This would give a better idea of how well the Kronos is holding up in the field. In my case that would be 24 to 25 nights a month and I have to say the Kronos is not holding up well at all.

I put a vote in that I use mine live but that will change in the very near future, as I am returning mine... again. Not for another replacement, not another visit to the shop to be repaired, but for a full refund.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Theo...good idea, but I cannot edit the poll...My K will be going out at least once a week - and up to around 3 depending on the time of year....but I must say with only negative comments coming from those using it live, I am now starting to have my doubts....Maybe the XF is STILL the best option for live work. At least it is solid and reliable....

I don't want to invest huge amounts of time to setup the Kronos if it going to fail on a regular basis at gigs. It is why I set up the poll, to get some more data on this issue..before committing 100%
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, gig mine every week. K61 v1.6.

No problems (yet)

Forgot to add - using an XP30 is well, so if sh1t hits the fan, I can always use that whilst Kronos is (hopefully) rebooting!! Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555 on Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
seapea

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it once a week live with a practice earlier in week at venue.
Would not consider using it without the the UPS and Furman power conditioner I use, to provide both clean power and protection from power surge or outage.
Kronos 73 #8xx Hammond XK3C Axiom 61 Mainstage 3.32 with OMNISPHERE 2.51 AbletonLive 9.74 controlled by SETLIST MAKER on iPhone8+ Arturia V Collection Classics, Reason 10 with Reason Pianos, SonicRefills Gold + Ian McIntosh Patches, UVI Falcon, Sylenth, Giant Alicia Keys Various EASTWEST Libraries Sample Robot 5 Pro OSX Vintage Organ Pack Christian Cullen
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gig 3-4 times a week and have to say that the Kronos has brought a whole new dimension to my rig. Despite spending a lot of it's time in transit, it's been rock solid - and setlist mode is a fantastic feature.
I've used it on its own or as part of a larger rig, but having recently added a jupiter 80 I'm now doing everything with either the K alone or a combination of the two boards, depending on the job. Everything I need is controlled from the Kronos in setlist mode, it's easy to set up and a joy to use live. I'm very happy with it!
pranaearth

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After experiencing the keyboard and hard disk errors on my Kronos 88, I would not use this live.
I'd go out with a controller, my macbook pro and all my softsynths.
I still love love love the Kronos and all it can do, but i the physical quality does not seem to be up to par with all the other Korg synths I've owned over the years.

P
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gig my Kronos. Gig tip- get a UPS (it doesn't have to be a heavy duty model) and plug ONLY the Kronos. Reboots after power failure are time consuming!
Laste7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it live 2-3 times a months and I never had problems.
I cannot understand, why the building quality should be a problem, as you normaly should have a flight case for a Board of that price. And on stage it is save on the rack. If not, it is more a question of the building quality of the rack.
I also use a UPS.

I think, that the main problem is, that people without problems, will not post it, because of the simple fact, that there is no reason.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no, however I only use it live (meaning that is the plan and for the rest only rehearsal; practicing songs, and in my specific case testing PCG Tools).

However, we never play more than once per week so this pool does not necesserily mean that everyone saying 'no' is not using it live.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lunaluna

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How many using the Kronos live? Reply with quote

miden wrote:
How many Kronos owners are there on this forum who use the Kronos for actual gigging work, and NOT just the bedroom?

There does not seem to be many gig related stories here, and the only gig related comments seem to be those only of Kronos failure when used live...
king Kronos is my main board...I use it every weekend and never had a problem....it is battle tested and has passed with flying colors every possible test ( so to speak ) ....Can't wait for 2nd generation Kronos !!
daffyduxxx

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use my Kronos live for gigging every week, sometimes up to 3 or 4 nights a week.
So far no problems, touch wood.
The only gripe I have is I find the font on the set lists a little small to read easily from the playing position in dim lighting conditions.
I have named all my set list patches in Capital letters to make it as easy as possible to read.
I am always wary of a power failure and the Kronos boot up time, but I also use a Nord Electro 3 which boots almost instantly and has enough patches to get me out of trouble in an emergency.
Hope this is of some help.
Paul
mercede1

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Kronos live for gigging 3-4 times a week for the moment...after a while for more days in a week!
No problems yet! Very Happy
KORG I30
KORG PA800 (Past)
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my kronos on order, and i have 2 gigs coming up next month.. i'm DEFINITELY GOING TO USE IT Very Happy
first gig i brought my friend's RD-700GX just in case...
second gig is kronos solo... i hope there's nothing wrong Very Happy

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
danhewitt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it for one contract so far, six nights a week for over three months in a live house gig, and I've had zero crashes, other than on startup failures of my own doing because I accidentally sent it MIDI during boot. This was in Malaysia in a hastily built club, so better believe I was on a UPS with power conditioner. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: