Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you organise your sounds/set list?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: how do you organise your sounds/set list? Reply with quote

simple question... I was wondering, how would you go about it?

I was thinking of a double approach: either I use a set list PER SONG, or simply a set list PER SHOW, which would mean putting all sounds for ALL songs in the one set list in some order I would understand and reach quickly.

or, with the first approach, I could simply change set lists per every song in a show, which would be a possible waste of space, but neat and organised, giving me the chance to change sounds as many times as I wish within a song. the downside probably being that I would have to limit myself to 128 songs in total, but still seems like a huge number, right?

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
bsbsantos

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a set list PER SONG. Even if I need just on program for that song.

Meanwhile, you can read this thread

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65867&highlight=
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a set list for the complete band (currently I'm in two).

However I have set lists organized a bit differently:
- set list 0: factory default
- set list 1: band 1, alphabetic order
- set list 2: band 1, gig order (not fully set since we don't gig yet)
- set list 3: band 1, old songs (we don't play anymore, but dont' want to get deleted)
- set list 4: band 2, alphabetic order
etc

So before a gig, I make a copy of one set list to another and then rearrange the slots.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do pretty much the same thing that Michel does. if you are in a working cover band and do a large number of songs it's nice to have the ability top step through Set List slots with a foot switch. Having an alphabetical list is also a good idea. Keep it as your master set list.
Sanrek

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a set list per show (in gig order) but with another extra "rule":

Only one song per "screen" - or 16 slots group - even if I only use 2 or 3, so as to prevent an accidental stop of the playback of the current sequencer song (wich include our backing tracks and drummer's reference track).
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
I do pretty much the same thing that Michel does. if you are in a working cover band and do a large number of songs it's nice to have the ability top step through Set List slots with a foot switch. Having an alphabetical list is also a good idea. Keep it as your master set list.

I use the alphabetic list because we mostly organize the order just before a gig and changes a lot.

I also have the plan to make one in alphabetic order by song name, other by artist, but I wait until I implement this in PCG Tools so I don't have to do it manually.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one "master" setlist (which has all the songs I do)

Copy/Paste into a new setlist for each gig, depending how we change the set.

Therefore, I use 1 "slot" per song. I've got all the sounds per song programmed into a specific combi for that song. I can then mute/unmute sounds as required in the song.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far in no particular order except for all the parts of each song. That's for my heavy band but we haven't gigged yet. For my Blues band it just a bunch of sounds that I can grab at any particular moment as we don't use a set-list. Someone just calls out a song and we go for it.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
andreidelait

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one set list per song because my vocalist sometimes chenge the order of the songs and because of my sight problems is really hard for me to figure out quick if I have all of them in the same set list. Also I use a footswitch to change the slots.
If I have for instance 2 different timbres in a song and I need to switch them more times, that's what I do:
Let's say Slot1 - Piano, Slot2 - Strings, and let's say I start with the piano first.
When I need the strings just use the footswitch to reach Slot2. After that if I need the Piano back I have to copy the Slot1 to Slot3 and so on. So I put all the timbrs in exact order I use them in the song and change them with a single footswich press.
I use the touchscreen just to switch between songs.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreidelait wrote:
Let's say Slot1 - Piano, Slot2 - Strings, and let's say I start with the piano first.

Is it not time consuming to change e.g. a piano in a complete song when you have to change it on 5 or more set list slots?

andreidelait

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
andreidelait wrote:

Is it not time consuming to change e.g. a piano in a complete song when you have to change it on 5 or more set list slots?

Just a little. (I assume you reffering to replace the sound with a new one). I replace the first slot and after that copy paste again in the others. It's very relaxing to take just take care of one pedal when you're playing and that's why I take my time to prepair the setlist at home.
keekma

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
Got one "master" setlist (which has all the songs I do)

Copy/Paste into a new setlist for each gig, depending how we change the set.

Therefore, I use 1 "slot" per song. I've got all the sounds per song programmed into a specific combi for that song. I can then mute/unmute sounds as required in the song.

I organized it the same way. I have a K88 and a midikeyboard. For every song in my band I put all my sounds in one combi and split them over the two keyboards. Sometimes I use the mute buttons. I have all my combis in one mastersetlist alfabetical and in one for gigs. When I need to transpose during a song I use two combis and two corresponding setlistslots.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
addy73

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread with a bunch a great ideas! I am trying to embrace the setlist mode and am using the comment area as a cheat sheet for songs I need reminders on... - man I wish they would give us control over the text size in the comments feild - even just one more option to double the size cutting the avaialable characters in half..)

Anyway, I play in four bands and have had a setlist for each band. I am now going to steal michelkeijzers method with an added setlist for ALL SONGS.

When I used to play full time I had memorized over 150 combi/patch numbers... not so much anymore.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos usually stays at the location where my band rehearsals, but I keep a PCG file on my USB stick.

Whenever someone prepares a set list for a given show, I use PCG tools on my PC. When my Kronos is installed, I just load the PCG and voila. I usually bring my netbook as well, so I can make last minute changes without being near the keyboard (ie. backstage).

Also, I have an alternative way of having an alphabetical list of songs. I created a combi for each song and put those in an empty bank.

There are 2 unused combi categories. Using global mode, I renamed one to "My combis" and defined subcategories as follows: ABC, DEF, HIJK, etc...
The combis are put in the appropriate subcategory and you get an easy browseable overview of all your songs!
addy73

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea to add is if you are using a single set list for a show, have each page be a set. (1-16) set 1 (17-32) set2 etc.

Also,
I usually reserve the top 4 slots of a set page for Paino, EP, Organ, and strings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: