Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Price Drop
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.lorenzi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Kronos Price Drop Reply with quote

Hey, people.
I'm looking forward to buy a kronos 61. I was just getting time waiting for these keybeds, velocity curves problems. And now I noticed that many stores, like musiciansfriend, sweetwater, amazon and many others are lowering kronos prices. I also heard that the M50 and M3 were discontinued. Is there a chance that korg releases a new keyboard by these days?
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the M3 and M50 being discontinued... I smell a yarn being spun by an over-eager salesperson wanting to close a deal on a keyboard with that one. The Kronos, M50, and M3 compete in different markets. The M50 is for the on-stage live performances, the M3 is the in arranger small band crowd, and the Kronos is for composing and song-writing. Of course, they aren't limited to those markets and people often use them for purposes they weren't designed for in a professional capacity.

As for price drops - NAMM is coming up, some retailers are hedging the bet that Korg will release a new workstation (either an updated Kronos or a new board entirely) and they want to get the older stock out of the channel to make room for the newer product.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Price Drop Reply with quote

a.lorenzi wrote:
Hey, people.
I'm looking forward to buy a kronos 61. I was just getting time waiting for these keybeds, velocity curves problems. And now I noticed that many stores, like musiciansfriend, sweetwater, amazon and many others are lowering kronos prices. I also heard that the M50 and M3 were discontinued. Is there a chance that korg releases a new keyboard by these days?

" And now I noticed that many stores, like musiciansfriend, sweetwater, amazon and many others are lowering kronos prices."

you didn't mention if they are all lowering the price by the same amount.
Or if its advertised or 'street ' pricing.

Anyway, dealers tend to follow each other closely and they typically match as best they can. I suspect thats what you are seeing. So cut your best deal.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the thread about Kronos 'LE' is not that 'virtual' at all.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny: No price drop in Europe yet.
Once more Korg US prices/selling months ahead of Europe?

This looks a lot like they updated the hardware - or want to get stock units sold before doing so.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

This looks a lot like they updated the hardware - or want to get stock units sold before doing so.

Actually I noticed yesterday that the price of the 61 key had dropped from £2599 to £2199 here in the UK. That's quite a nice reduction.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

what do you mean they updated the hardware?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means that if they were going to update the hardware and secretly planned an upcoming release....one strategy might be to lower the price of inventory already in the distribution chain, to flush it out before announcing the release of something new/better. Of course, he has no inside knowledge and is completely speculating. Its just as viable that the retailers are dropping prices based on a natural progression of consumer demand. But then with Summer NAMM around the corner.....you just never know. And that's the point really....we do not know.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all we really know is there is a advertised retail price drop for the 61. Plus the other key sizes(in the US).

In the US, it looks like the 61 ad price is $2795.

In the US, there are usually 2 prices, ad and ' street'.

Korg may have simply reduced the MSRP to the dealers. That quickly allows the dealer to lower the ad price. This is common stuff.

Its a simple matter for a buyer to question the dealer ' why did the price decrease for the 61' ? An informed dealer will tell the serious buyer the reason.

I wouldn't speculate beyond the above. Getting the facts from the dealer would answer the question.

Last edited by GregC on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we know nothing and all thoughts are pure speculation.

But such price drops rarely happen without good reason, either concerning competition or own strategies.
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

But such price drops rarely happen without good reason, either concerning competition or own strategies.

You're absolutely right there. About 2 years ago I was deciding whether to buy the m3 or the pa800 and the prices were the same then as they are now. I would bet that the prices are the same as when these keyboards were first released. So something has happened to make Korg reduce the price of the Kronos. It could very well be that they want to clear the old stock ready for a new batch of Kronos Xpanded or Kronos LE that will be announced at summer Namm. Or it could just be that with the effects of the recession, the tsunami and the money lost replacing keybeds that they're trying to make the Kronos more appealing by lowering the price.

Whatever the reason. Thanks Korg!
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
all we really know is there is a advertised retail price drop for the 61.

NovaMusik is showing reduced prices for all three models.

(I agree with the rest of your post, by the way)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperpotty wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

You're absolutely right there. About 2 years ago I was deciding whether to buy the m3 or the pa800 and the prices were the same then as they are now. I would bet that the prices are the same as when these keyboards were first released. So something has happened to make Korg reduce the price of the Kronos. It could very well be that they want to clear the old stock ready for a new batch of Kronos Xpanded or Kronos LE that will be announced at summer Namm. Or it could just be that with the effects of the recession, the tsunami and the money lost replacing keybeds that they're trying to make the Kronos more appealing by lowering the price.

Whatever the reason. Thanks Korg!

The M3 ( I had the M3M) was not a good seller. I really enjoyed my M3M but it did not beat its competitors.

I am under the impression that the Kronos has sold well in the 1 year it has been available. Korg wants to sell as many as possible just like any other company. The easiest way to gain more sales is to drop the price. It is a big ticket item and there was room to reduce the price.

Keeping sales moving at retail is mostly a struggle ( I have my own store).
If I see my sales dropping over the past 30 days, I would take action , give up some margin so the inventory would not get too big. We have had more severe weather in the US over the past month which supresses sales in many categories. No business wants to be stuck with too much inventory.

So, sure, there could be a few things going on. The dealers know the score.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
I think he means that if they were going to update the hardware and secretly planned an upcoming release....one strategy might be to lower the price of inventory already in the distribution chain, to flush it out before announcing the release of something new/better. Of course, he has no inside knowledge and is completely speculating. Its just as viable that the retailers are dropping prices based on a natural progression of consumer demand. But then with Summer NAMM around the corner.....you just never know. And that's the point really....we do not know.

you mean an updated hardware version of the Kronos that we CURRENTLY own? whoa... that would be horrible...

have you known companies to do things like this before? examples please.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like much too soon to give up on or put out an updated model. All of the current Kronos owners would be screaming. Korg has sold a lot of these now great keyboards. But...who knows? Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: