Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Announces New Kronos X
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Korg Announces New Kronos X Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rce90w-HMPI

Thoughts?

Software: Ableton Live Lite Alesis Edition, Pro Tools 10
rob314159

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the most discussion is over in this thread:

New Korg Kronos X with OS 2.0
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

year it looks like they just relised Kronos with all fixed problems then orgiginal Kronos had.

Kronos was a really interesting machine but very small Ram and very small SSD was it main weak point, i am glad they fixed that

p.s.
but it is nice to see Korg is going foward for imoproving and inovating

how ever a new Kronos X looks interesting it is still not anought for me to go back to hardware keybords but i am watching carafuly what new they can bring again, but speaking abut Yamaha i really do not care what they will bring because they just totaly disapointed me with their Motif keybords how crappy and how outdated technologies are used in Yamaha top of the line Motif Xf with literally zero inovations
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that Korg still keeps innovating, even when the competition seems sleepy.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
It's good that Korg still keeps innovating, even when the competition seems sleepy.

+1

p.s. i think this is what a good company should do ! Very Happy
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

That's called blowing your competition out of the water. Smile

Last edited by Timo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

+1 ... I think the real competition will be the software synths.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Timo wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Yes, I would have liked to have perhaps seen some new advanced articulation abilities in the Kronos, like Mind Control for Kontakt, allowing you to impose logical conditions to increase expressiveness far, far beyond simple velocity switching. Articulation increases the sound design possibilities and realism exponentially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFYyYWZrYk < Mind Control.

And some more synthesis capabilities. Like Brass and Wind physical modelling evolved from the Z1/Oasys-PCI. I know you have brass and wind samples, but samples have nothing against the realtime ever-evolving expression you get from physical modelling and all the wide range of associated parameters and modulation it allows.
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

Yep, Komplete 8 cost me £390 around January this year. Last week NI sent me an offer to upgrade to komplete 8 Ultimate for £199 (50% off, so komplete 9 is probably on the horizon) which arrived today.

I've just finished installing it.

When I look at what I have for £590, it's mind boggling. I still want a Kronos but I don't really need one (if I played live that would be a different matter)
stormking69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had waited a month before purchasing my Kronos 61.
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Timo wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

agree, i do not think that s**t as Yamaha promote as "production station" which Motif Xf is, can come even close to what u can get in modern software world. also Roland Fantom G is very outdated too.

I am not shure if they want just discontiues their keybords because awry month less and less people can be fooled by their souless rompler which are basicly based on early 90s technologies

p.s. How ever Korg Kronos is very interesting product, and even though that right now Korg is pretty ahead of competitors i am pretty shure they need to work very very hard and make much more because software world is not waiting for hardware keybord to catch up, they just making the best software they can because the current computers are pretty powerful and much more powerful then hardware even in Kronos is...

just mt 2 cents

Last edited by chilly7 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Yep, Komplete 8 cost me £390 around January this year. Last week NI sent me an offer to upgrade to komplete 8 Ultimate for £199 (50% off, so komplete 9 is probably on the horizon) which arrived today.

When I look at what I have for £590, it's mind boggling. I still want a Kronos but I don't really need one (if I played live that would be a different matter)

Just instal all ur favorit software to a good laptop

if u just get a decent midi controller with a powerful laptop it is a good choise for live and in fact , this combo is even more portable then a hardware keybord ....Imho
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Actually I don't use software synths, because I mainly play live and want a 100% reliable hardware system.

Hardware will always be move expensive as software, due to:
- hardware takes longer to develop
- hardware takes longer to test
- hardware is move expensive to transport over the world
- hardware costs more to store/display at stores/hardware stores

Also:
- since it takes longer to develop/test, the time it takes to release on the market is slower than software.

I think Korg will go more and more into a hybrid system: good hardware and software that can be patched more easy (removes the hardware '
consequences' I mentioned above).

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly7 wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
Timo wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

agree, i do not think that s**t as Yamaha promote as "production station" which Motif Xf is, can come even close to what u can get in modern software world. also Roland Fantom G is very outdated too.

I am not shure if they want just discontiues their keybords because awry month less and less people can be fooled by their souless rompler which are basicly based on early 90s technologies

p.s. How ever Korg Kronos is very interesting product, and even though that right now Korg is pretty ahead of competitors i am pretty shure they need to work very hard and make much more because software world is not waiting for hardware keybord to catch up, they just making the best software they can because the current computers are pretty powerful and much more powerful then hardware even in Kronos is...

just mt 2 cents

True, both the Motif point and the Korg having to keep doing their job well.
Still I rather have a dedicated music synth instead of a PC on stage.

WayneEarl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

Actually I don't use software synths, because I mainly play live and want a 100% reliable hardware system.

EXACTLY. Performing live is no place for a laptop, nor has it ever been, and by the time you take the hardware and invest in bulletproffing it enough, you end up with A hardware synth anyways, at hardware synth prices. Real time audio competing with blocking IO, garbage device drivers, bottom quality QA in build - when I led an engineering team at a company that built very, very large computational clusters, we'd purchase top of the line PC hardware at large vendor volume, and still 20% hardware failure rate before we finished our own testing - and this was for top of the line hardware, cluster computers doing weapons and energy research.

What I'm getting into is using anything available for sound design, then sample the soft synth and build a proper hardware patch with it for performance purposes, similar to Rudess' workflow with his sounds. I do loose some real time control and modulation this way, but I'm not much of one of those anyways. I was considering picking up a Muse Receptor as my next music purchase in a few months, but with the Kronos X, may very well ditch the Receptor and grab the Kronos X towards the end of the year.

(hopes Korg backports that 2.0 update to the M3 - would love direct streaming of samples, as I've already got SSD drives attached to it via USB. A man's gotta have a dream, no? Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: