Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4gb RAM with the new os 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex_none

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: 4gb RAM with the new os 2.0 Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I very excited about the new os 2.0 for our wonderful instrument. I was just trying to figure out if a rumor I heard from a friend of mine can be true.
He brought his k61 to a korg service center to have a 2gb memory upgrade installed some weeks ago (4gb total). In that occasion he was told not to worry about the 3gb ram actual limitation of os 1.6 because the next upgrade would allow the kronos to see and use the full 4gb.

Can this be true? This would be a great improvement in my opinion, the perfect one to couple with the new huge sound library streaming functionality for the user.

And if I can dream... what about a sequencer enchacement, like the m3?

Cheers,

Alex
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4gb RAM with the new os 2.0 Reply with quote

alex_none wrote:
Hi everybody,
I very excited about the new os 2.0 for our wonderful instrument. I was just trying to figure out if a rumor I heard from a friend of mine can be true.
He brought his k61 to a korg service center to have a 2gb memory upgrade installed some weeks ago (4gb total). In that occasion he was told not to worry about the 3gb ram actual limitation of os 1.6 because the next upgrade would allow the kronos to see and use the full 4gb.

Can this be true?

No, sorry.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
domc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I notice you've gone to the trouble of cutting out the reference to a sequencer enhancement before saying 'no'.

Does this mean we can expect the long awaited (7 years for us Oasys owners) sequencer enhancement as well? That would really get me excited.
Octopus
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domc wrote:
Dan, I notice you've gone to the trouble of cutting out the reference to a sequencer enhancement before saying 'no'.

Does this mean we can expect the long awaited (7 years for us Oasys owners) sequencer enhancement as well? That would really get me excited.

I responded to the part of the message that seemed like a question. I generally edit quotes in this way. No deeper meaning, sorry!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Niblit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just planted another 2Gb RAM in my Kronos, (4Gb total) just I case it will one day be useable.

By the way, for anyone interested, I simply went to PC World and got it off the shelf for about £24 squids. It took less than 10 minutes to install and everything is just sweet.

Now... I just need loads of freebies to fill it up Wink
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, can you please clarify what this means?:

Quote:
User Sample Banks let you create your own high-capacity sample libraries.
Added in Kronos OS v2.0, User Sample Banks bring the benefits of KORG’s EXs to your own custom sample libraries. You can load and play many gigabytes of your custom or converted samples at once, using the internal SSD. Disk and memory management is also improved: you can create subsets of User Sample Banks, and mix and match parts of different banks, without duplicating samples on disk.

Is it for beginers that dont know nothing about Sampling and think that they
will really get MANY GBs of Sampling or it still means they are stuck with the
180MB or so Sampling but this is just nicely put words for for the 1GB of Sampling?

Thanks
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Dan, can you please clarify what this means?:

Quote:
User Sample Banks let you create your own high-capacity sample libraries.
Added in Kronos OS v2.0, User Sample Banks bring the benefits of KORG’s EXs to your own custom sample libraries. You can load and play many gigabytes of your custom or converted samples at once, using the internal SSD. Disk and memory management is also improved: you can create subsets of User Sample Banks, and mix and match parts of different banks, without duplicating samples on disk.

Is it for beginers that dont know nothing about Sampling and think that they
will really get MANY GBs of Sampling or it still means they are stuck with the
180MB or so Sampling but this is just nicely put words for for the 1GB of Sampling?

Thanks

Your question seems to imply that we're trying to be deceptive, which I'll admit bothers me. Please let me know if this was not your intent.

Software version 2.0 includes a feature called User Sample Banks. User Sample Banks have a few significant benefits, one of which is that they can use VMT. You can create your own libraries using the max available RAM (about 2GB), save them to disk, and then - depending on how well the content is suited to VMT - load a number of those libraries at once.

What content is well-suited to VMT? Each VMT sample takes up the same amount of RAM, regardless of the sample's length. So, the longer the individual samples, the more reduction in RAM usage you'll get.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

What content is well-suited to VMT? Each VMT sample takes up the same amount of RAM, regardless of the sample's length. So, the longer the individual samples, the more reduction in RAM usage you'll get.

The reason is that from each sample a fixed amount of the start of the sample has to be remain in RAM before the SSD catches up while reading I assume?

If so, it's a very neat solution; and it saves a lot of RAM memory this way.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domc wrote:

Does this mean we can expect the long awaited (7 years for us Oasys owners) sequencer enhancement as well?

Question

domc wrote:

That would really get me excited.

+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Clarification and no, that was not my intent, i was simply confused of the concept.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys , how much sample ram can a kronos heave,

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asena wrote:
guys , how much sample ram can a kronos heave,

AFAIK max 2 gb for EX's, some EXi and user samples

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

The reason is that from each sample a fixed amount of the start of the sample has to be remain in RAM before the SSD catches up while reading I assume?

If so, it's a very neat solution; and it saves a lot of RAM memory this way.

Correct.

A good example of VMT hard at work on a massive piano would be.....

If you take the 1.6GB piano rs.felicio uploaded a few days ago and you set that to stream, the actual amount of RAM you need free is only 75MB.

lol... How amazing is that. 1.6GB becomes 75MB Cool

Regards
Sharp.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who have spent hours, days, weeks even, to create our own sample banks... will we have to re-compile them somehow, or will they just automatically adjust for VMT use when we load our KSC's?

Seriously looking forward to V.2, as user streaming has been No. 1 on my wish list from the day I bought the K.

MonoPoly EX is No. 2 on my list...
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those of us who have spent hours, days, weeks even, to create our own sample banks... will we have to re-compile them somehow, or will they just automatically adjust for VMT use when we load our KSC's?

Yes, but it only takes a moment to turn a normal sample library into a VMT library. It's very quick and very easy.

Regards
Sharp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: