Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know its been posted but Kronos X upgrade to it or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: I know its been posted but Kronos X upgrade to it or not? Reply with quote

Yea I know I have been missing since my last post, been busy but now the Kronos X has been announced I am back for more info. I have the opportunity to swap my old Kronos for the new Kronos X thanks to my lovely dealers. My main question is should I? I feel the Kronos X is quick mock up to phase out the old kronos issues and have peoples attention on the new gear to get minds off issues with old gear. Did they fix all the issues the old gear had? Did they cause more issues?

So lets get a pro's vs con's for us original Kronos owners and see is the X will mark the spot and influence us to upgrade or stay with what we got.
Laste7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kronos with 3GB and 120GB SSD.....this is already a Kronos XX....

I think the main question is, what your dealer wants you to pay.

If you don't care about your warranty, you can built in a bigger SSD and Memory on your own, cost about 60 Euros....and you have your Kronos X after the OS2 is released...of course, just if the Kronos you have now is working without any faults (Keybed, fan noise, etc.)
Night Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also more concerned about the build, better quality better parts? Complete fixes to all the Issues with the Kronos..Keybed/Internal Noise/Velosity/Crashing/Fan Noise the list goes on and on.

Now having samples of the library is cool I will admit that, but we can just buy them our self's. The additional memory we all know we can do our self, and fan upgrades. But since I have had issues like many others my warranty is still needed. Personally I rather keep my Kronos since it will now be classic, and I can do the upgrade my self once the warranty is over anyway. Now if they offered something else that the Kronos can not do then I think that would be a bit more of a selling point.

But with the new OS 2.0 we will have the same versatility and control as the new KronosX, The only difference is upgraded memory and HD

But would be nice if they updated all the issues, better build and some NEW SOUNDS and features

Edit: Yes my current Cronos 88 does have issues, Keybed misfiring and triple noting, as well as internal noise issues where I have to run all internal setting at -25db or I will hear every single detail with the key strokes, damper, sustain extremely loud. Also have a very slight hissing in the tracks from the Krons that is only noticeable when I let notes ring out. So I do have to replace my Kronos for a new one that does have the updates to keybed and fixes to my issues. So I will have to do a swap just all depends do I swap to same Kronos Newer version, since Mine was the 2nd run of Kronos ever made. Or do I swap up to the X since I do have a free swap granted to me.
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap for Kronos X, you'll get easier resale value if needed, you'll save yourself the "upgrading" (if you even need it), you'll likely get all the fixes already applied, you'll get more time with warranty, you're getting all of this for free... no-brainer Idea

Now I just can't swap mine because I have authorized many sound libraries. I can't transfer this authorization to a new Kronos Sad
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap it ASAP. Because of the X, the original Kronos loses its resale value.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Swap it ASAP. Because of the X, the original Kronos loses its resale value.

Maybe, but it remains to be seen how much, especially if the original has already been upgraded in terms of RAM and SSD.

I'm happy to concede a drop in price for a stock unit, but probably not as much as what some people would have use think.

It will be up to the seller to make sure the potential buyers know that both machines are essentially the same platform with just ram, bigger ssd and a red X.

Plus, am I the only one who prefers the old serigraphy to the new one? I'm talking of the back one, not so much that of the top panel. So potential buyers might also prefer an upgraded Kronos rather than the one with the red X.

Apparently, some distributors are already thinking of producing a red sticker to be placed on machines that will have received the upgrade.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god, guys,... me shouting: IT'S THE SAME KEYBOARD WITH "UPGRADED" UPGRADABLE PARTS. The X is 200$ more right now. How do you know you need the extra SSD space right now. My advice would be, buy the current model, save 200$, play with the Kronos right now and when you really need more space in 6 months or a year, fit a second SSD in there. At that time, a 120Gb SSD will probably be way cheaper than 200$. Unless you're not the kind of user who wants to open the thing up. Now, that would be understandable to exchange. But the human mind is a funny beast... Bigger is better...

Has it been confirmed that all issues(none that i had, btw) has been resolved on the new X? It's all speculations. The KronosX might even have bigger issues. Who knows.

My opinion, anyway.

Blink
KronosX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does make alot of sense.. Why buy a Kronos X that has two 30gb drives that will create more heat flowing off the powersupply and as the fan blows across makes more heat build up from the heat of the constantly streaming drives. It makes sense to buy a 120gb drive for 70.00. To just update and upgrade yourself.

If you have 3 buddies that all have Kronos and you all buy additional EX sample sets? Do you think there is anything wrong with sharing activation codes? Is there like a rule to this?
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KronosX wrote:

If you have 3 buddies that all have Kronos and you all buy additional EX sample sets? Do you think there is anything wrong with sharing activation codes? Is there like a rule to this?

Mmm, do you really want an answer for this? Surprised

Blink
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:

Has it been confirmed that all issues(none that i had, btw) has been resolved on the new X?

Nope.
Not really.

No official word about it, nor it will be, as usual.

Quote:

It's all speculations. The KronosX might even have bigger issues. Who knows.

Yep,
Completely true, Blink.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spirit wrote:
...as well as internal noise issues where I have to run all internal setting at -25db or I will hear every single detail with the key strokes, damper, sustain extremely loud.

If you're talking about noise on the SGX-1 pianos, you can adjust the volume of damper and mechanical noise components...the first thing I did when I got my KRONOS was turn down the volume of the piano noise components by a few dB...

df
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
Night Spirit wrote:
...as well as internal noise issues where I have to run all internal setting at -25db or I will hear every single detail with the key strokes, damper, sustain extremely loud.

If you're talking about noise on the SGX-1 pianos, you can adjust the volume of damper and mechanical noise components...the first thing I did when I got my KRONOS was turn down the volume of the piano noise components by a few dB...

df

Do you hear it when you play directly from the Kronos or when using another keyboard MIDI wired to it?

In the last case, a velocity of 127 is used making the noises even harder.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KronosX wrote:

You can't "share" activation codes.

They are linked to the machine ID of any given Kronos.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Do you hear it when you play directly from the Kronos or when using another keyboard MIDI wired to it?

In the last case, a velocity of 127 is used making the noises even harder.

You're right, I was playing the KRONOS piano from an external weighted keyboard that didn't send release velocity, so the piano release "noises" were set to maximum...hmmm, maybe that's one reason why the KRONOS pianos sound better on a 73 / 88 with the built-in RH3 keybed...
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KronosX wrote:
Do you think there is anything wrong with sharing activation codes?

Yes, it is totally wrong. It's call theft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: