Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will OS 2.0 be the last OS upgrade for Kornos models?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Will OS 2.0 be the last OS upgrade for Kornos models? Reply with quote

Hello lads and gals.

I posted this threath to expose a possiblity I was rumbling today myself.
Summer chat, y´know. Wink

Will OS 2.0 be the last OS upgrade for Kornos models?

See my reasoning for this:
Normally, all Korg Keyboards that were software upgraded, were so, always, till the top limit of OS Version 2.0. (Or as a figure, 2.06, i if you want to, but to the limit of 2.0X)
Its something you all can check for yourself if you want to.

Yet, even when I´m hoping I´m wrong this time though, (I really hope I am), looking the way Korg behaves in the past with *all their previous OS software upgraded models*, chances are that the forthcoming 2.0 is the last OS with new features we´ll see for the Kronos series.

So...

Will the best scenario right now be not to expect any forthcoming updates ( I mean, again, to clarify my point, new features, as an example: The often requested one regarding the Sequencer mode to include the M3 expanded features, track view, piano roll, velocity meters in combi an sequencer modes; or as another example: new Exi Models to add to the existing ones, etc, etc.etc...) after 2.0?

What do you think about this possibility?

Last edited by Davidb on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will.
Slovenec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg Triton Classic OS went right up to 2.5.2 or something like that.... so your theory doesn't quite work with this particular instrument.

I too am hoping that Korg eventually include the often requested M3 Xpanded sequencer featuers not to mention more 'Motif'(!) like fretted instrument programs. However, it seems that Korg is perhaps now more concerned about giving us a 'barebones' sequencer (that many would argue isn't that barebones!) and allowing us to seamlessly integrate our Kronos' into our preferred DAW enviroment... which makes sense in many ways. The basic onboard sequencer can then be used as a 'scratchpad' for when the Kronos is out of the studio or as a live performance tool when gigging?

Whichever way, Korg also have a history of brining out 'lite' versions of their big workstations like Triton LE, TR, M50 etc so perhaps a 'lite' version of the Kronos is also going to eventuate... Kronos LE perhaps?????
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure if there will be an LE version. Since hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper and software getting costlier and costlier and reducing software only for an LE version does not make sense.

I think Korg will go more into the extra library/upgrade selling.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Edson Caetano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why stop at OS 2.0, the first update was to fix or add features that should be present at the launch, as the Editor

I think this time, you will see many other updates, like a lot to the development of this OS was further

Dreaming does not cost anything
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For right now I will be happy with the 2.0. Smile Smile
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so much that can still be done I'd say it being the end of the road is premature at best! Besides more RAM, what upgrade are you looking for that can't be done with the current machine? The user streaming should take care of a LOT of the RAM issue anyway.

AFAIC, the Kronos very well could (and SHOULD IMO) be Korg's K2000.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it depends on how much kronos synths will be sold. If enough people buy a kronos then it keeps interesting to develop things for that synth or workstation. I would love to see new exi's in the future like the M1 or the korg mono/poly
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
i think it depends on how much kronos synths will be sold. If enough people buy a kronos then it keeps interesting to develop things for that synth or workstation. I would love to see new exi's in the future like the M1 or the korg mono/poly

What was different about the m1 engine vs what we can do with engines that already in the Kronos? Just curious.....

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS updates are a relatively inexpensive way that Korg can improve the Kronos in order to stay competitive. The Kronos has been shipping for little over a year. There is no reason to think it won't have the typically 3 - 4 year lifespan. That gives Korg plenty of opportunity to work on the wish list.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:

What was different about the m1 engine vs what we can do with engines that already in the Kronos? Just curious.....

as far as i know nothing, but i always loved the Korg M1 interface
bobbybland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my kronos, but i still think there's alot more that can be done with the EFX section in workstations. For example, in sequencer or combi mode, the limitations of efx, n routing. This is where workstations fall short imo, whereas vsts can have more options, this needs to happen imo.

A sound designer spends hours sometimes days to tweak a preset, i then want to record the sounds 100% like I hear them, I get to my sequencer or daw, n realize I have to play efx routing manager.. or track a sound, then bounce,not cool, n this is why I reach for my vstis alot more. Create then bounce, all without disturbing my workflow with the sound.

THIS needs to be improved. If the kronos had no efx limitations, i'd probably reach for it's sounds more. Yet n still it's a nice midi controller for my vstis.
firstlovedan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to jump in here just to say that I bit off over 3 grand for my Fantom. I invested in it because of their 'New Modeling Exansion Cards'. I had been a loyal Roland customer in the past, and thought the Fantom G would be a good investment because they advertised these awesome ARX sound cards, and they implied that they would continue to make them. They made 3 flippin cards... Drums, E. Piano, and Brass. Since the Fantom only held 2 cards at once, I purchased the Drums card, and held off getting others in hopes that a guitar card would come. Well, it was rumored that the quit making them only 2 years after creating them! Soooo, I decided to just get the brass card...DISCONTINUED EVEN THOUGH UT WAS STILL BEING ADVERTISED ON THEIR FLAGSHIP WORKSTATION WEBSIGHT!!!!!

I said all of that to say this, I Pray Korg keeps up the support for the Kronos!!! I am super loyal to companies that treat me right, and respect that loyalty. I will NEVER purchase another Roland keyboard,vand will advise the hundreds of keyboardists that I encounter of Roland just walking away from their FLAGSHIP WORKSTATION, kmowing there were tons of flaws, bugs, and improvements that could, and should have been made!!!

I am new to the Korg family... I have only owned an M1 (Which Was Awesome), but, I really like what I see and here from this company and forum!!

I know this was a long post, but I at least wanted Korg to know they are on the right track by listening to our comments.
Blessings,
Firstlovedan
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbybland wrote:
I love my kronos, but i still think there's alot more that can be done with the EFX section in workstations. For example, in sequencer or combi mode, the limitations of efx, n routing. This is where workstations fall short imo, whereas vsts can have more options, this needs to happen imo.

A sound designer spends hours sometimes days to tweak a preset, i then want to record the sounds 100% like I hear them, I get to my sequencer or daw, n realize I have to play efx routing manager.. or track a sound, then bounce,not cool, n this is why I reach for my vstis alot more. Create then bounce, all without disturbing my workflow with the sound.

THIS needs to be improved. If the kronos had no efx limitations, i'd probably reach for it's sounds more. Yet n still it's a nice midi controller for my vstis.

I agree. While there has been incremental improvement over the years to the workflow of adding sounds to a combi or sequence (and the Kronos is arguably one of the best), I would absolutely love to see this area get some killer feature some day. Don't make me think!
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edson Caetano wrote:
Why stop at OS 2.0...

Dreaming does not cost anything

Yup, true.

But OS updates adding new features, like improving sequencer, new Exi´s, or any new feature we would like to be included; do.

Last edited by Davidb on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: