Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for organizing user programs and combis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Tips for organizing user programs and combis Reply with quote

Hi,
I hope anyone could give me some tips for organizing custom programs and combis

I tried to edit a factory program A074 (Polysix engine) to create a synth bass for a new combi... When the program is quite close to the desired result, I tried to write it in another location (ex U-EE where I have a free bank), but it is not possible to save it in a user-EE bank.

My questions are:
1) I want to preserve all the factory programs that are used by factory combis, are there any factory programs banks that are not used by the combi?
2) Maybe I don't understand the basic structure and the organization on Kronos, but, I think I should copy a program to another location to create a new sound, without affecting all the combi related to the original, right? I know that there are several parameters that can be changed without affecting the original program, but in my case I have to change some of the Polysix parameters like the the waveform and turning the arp on...
3) Is it possibile to create a Polysix engine sound from scratch, starting form an init program in an user bank? I tried but I wasn't able to do it
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Not really, but there are empty banks available. Also see;
2. There are two kinds of user banks; HD-1 banks and EXi banks (EXi's are all programs that are not HD-1). You probably tried to save a PolySix program to an EXi bank. You can change the bank type in the global menu, but be aware that if you do so, you delete all the programs currently in that bank. The rest of your understanding seems to be correct.
3. Yes, if you switch oscillator types (say, between CX-1 and Polysix) in the BASIC tab, you get an "initialized" sound. It will still have some envelope action going on I think, but should be fairly easy to model the way you want it.
simur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, tomorrow I gonna try to understand the bank types, I suppose that if i want to do a program from scratch I have to start from an init program inside a HD-1 bank...

I let you know as soon as I can work on Kronos...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I do...
First some ground work...
If I am not mistaken, at boot up the Kronos does an auto-load of the factory settings with files named Pre Load (in the Factory folder). This guarantees you have what the Kronos shipped with.
Here are the steps I do.
1- go to Disk Mode
2- Make sure you are in the root directory (you should see nothing but folders) If not sure repeated press the “Up” button.
3- Go to the Utility tab
4- From the drop down menu (upper right) select "Create Directory"
5- In the text entry dialog box type a unique name for the directory (I name mine for the bands I work with) and click "OK". You will now see the new directory in the list.
6- Go to the "Save" tab.
7- Select the directory you created and select “Open”
8- Go to the dropdown menu and select “Save All”. In the Text Edit section of the dialog box give it a unique name. I generally name it the same as the Directory I created to keep confusion to a minimum. Click OK.
The Kronos will create all the necessary files and even though they are named differently, they are the same as the factory preload, but now you can edit to your hearts content, and if you ever need to get back to the factory state, you can reload the factory data.
Now here’s what you do after cold booting the Kronos-
1-Go to Disk Mode
2-Go to the “Load” tab
3-Find you Directory and open it
4-Select the PCG file and touch the red “Load” button
5-In the subsequent dialog box be sure to check all the available checkboxes and select “Append” with all the available radio buttons. This will ensure none of the data loaded when you booted gets overwritten.
6-Click OK and wait.
7-All of your user programs, edits, global settings, etc are intact.
8-After you sessions are complete, do another “Save All”. Note that you won’t have to retype the filename, unless you want to give it a new name.
I have done this since my Triton and it is a great file management procedure.
You can also create custom categories and sub-categories as they are saved as part of the PCG. Be sure any time you make changes in the “Global mode” that you “write” them from the dropdown menu, otherwise they won’t be saved with the PCG when you do a “save all”.
I also recommend backing up to external media for obvious reasons.
Let me know if this works for and if you need any clarification.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any edits you make stay in the Kronos banks, just like in the Triton. There's no need to keep reloading the PCG file after booting, unless you use many different ones. In fact, if you forgot to save to disk after turning off the Kronos, you'll overwrite and lose all your work by loading the PCG file.

Your method is clean and comprehensive, but carries its own risks and seems on the whole a little "over the top" for someone who wants to edit a few patches. Don't forget there are 21x128 program locations to save to before needing to swap PCGs.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main reason for doing it this way is because I play with a large number of bands- as many as 7 at sometimes. styles range from country to rock to r&b. this keeps me from having to worry about changing programs, combis, set lists, et cetera, and how they might affect what I do with different bands. I have trained myself to always load the pcgs and always save the pcgs after a session. I also save everything to external media for archiving purposes. it works great when a band that I haven't played with in over a year asks me to work with them and I don't have to do any work on patches. it gives me more time to focus on the music. And 21 X 128 programs or combis (even with categories and sub categories) makes for a bit of searching. I come from the old days of minimoog programming, so having a way to save all of the parameters and programs has been a blessing and I use it to the utmost.
Redrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

2. There are two kinds of user banks; HD-1 banks and EXi banks (EXi's are all programs that are not HD-1). You probably tried to save a PolySix program to an EXi bank. You can change the bank type in the global menu, but be aware that if you do so, you delete all the programs currently in that bank. The rest of your understanding seems to be correct.

I don't understand this, why there is this distinction ? the kronos is a pc that play internal virtual synth, so I think ...why korg decided to do this program distinction ?

in this way I can't have a single program that play 2 synth, one with samples and the other that play a virtual synth..to do this we must use a combi..

If someone know the reason for this mistery speak now ! hahahahaha
simur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
1. Not really, but there are empty banks available. Also see;
3. Yes, if you switch oscillator types (say, between CX-1 and Polysix) in the BASIC tab, you get an "initialized" sound. It will still have some envelope action going on I think, but should be fairly easy to model the way you want it.

I changed the bank type to EXi and I was able to copy or to create a sound from scratch, choosing polysix engine. The fun part is that I can also initialize an entire bank. Is there a similar shortcut to initialize a combi bank? I read in another post that is possible to load a blank bank, but I was wondering if there is an 'official way' instead of a workaround.
simur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Any edits you make stay in the Kronos banks, just like in the Triton. There's no need to keep reloading the PCG file after booting, unless you use many different ones. In fact, if you forgot to save to disk after turning off the Kronos, you'll overwrite and lose all your work by loading the PCG file.

Your method is clean and comprehensive, but carries its own risks and seems on the whole a little "over the top" for someone who wants to edit a few patches. Don't forget there are 21x128 program locations to save to before needing to swap PCGs.

I agree, this method is excellent when you have to keep different setups clean and separated. For me works best the first suggestion, I usually modify factory combi and programs and then I need to copy i a different location. Sometimes I use factory programs too.
simur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redrain wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

I don't understand this, why there is this distinction ? the kronos is a pc that play internal virtual synth, so I think ...why korg decided to do this program distinction ?

in this way I can't have a single program that play 2 synth, one with samples and the other that play a virtual synth..to do this we must use a combi..

If someone know the reason for this mistery speak now ! hahahahaha

I think so... From a user point of view you are right. Maybe the internal architecture has some constrains...

Btw as user I belive it would not be necessary to have the bank structure and organisation in 128 slots... What if the OS would mask this to give to the user a different point of view and interface to save and store factory and user sounds? Categories are one step made, but more could be done in electronic musical instruments to be closer to the user perspective than the machine perspective .
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for organizing user programs and combis Reply with quote

simur wrote:
Hi,
I hope anyone could give me some tips for organizing custom programs and combis

I tried to edit a factory program A074 (Polysix engine) to create a synth bass for a new combi... When the program is quite close to the desired result, I tried to write it in another location (ex U-EE where I have a free bank), but it is not possible to save it in a user-EE bank.

My questions are:
1) I want to preserve all the factory programs that are used by factory combis, are there any factory programs banks that are not used by the combi?
2) Maybe I don't understand the basic structure and the organization on Kronos, but, I think I should copy a program to another location to create a new sound, without affecting all the combi related to the original, right? I know that there are several parameters that can be changed without affecting the original program, but in my case I have to change some of the Polysix parameters like the the waveform and turning the arp on...
3) Is it possibile to create a Polysix engine sound from scratch, starting form an init program in an user bank? I tried but I wasn't able to do it

1. The easiest way is to use the new banks. However, with PCG Tools you can find within seconds which programs are used by which combis/set list slots, and what combis are used by which set list slots.

2. With PCG Tools you can easily cut/copy/paste programs and combis. When moving them, all references will be automatically change accordingly. You also can move up/down programs/combis/set list slots.

3. I think it is but I don't have a clear answer for this.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of using synths, i still have problems organizing...uuuffff.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
After years of using synths, i still have problems organizing...uuuffff.

I saw you have requested PCG Tools on the facebook group.
However I need your email for that, can you PM/email it to me so I can send the app to you?

I am sure it will help you organizing sounds.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: