Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding Kronos' More Confusing Features
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How confused are you about the way files are managed on the Kronos?
Completely Confused
28%
 28%  [ 23 ]
A Little Confused (I can manage a few tasks)
48%
 48%  [ 39 ]
Not Confused at All (everything feature makes sense)
23%
 23%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 81

hitektodd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Understanding Kronos' More Confusing Features Reply with quote

I've read the manual, and many topics in this forum where people quickly try to sum up the File Hierarchy system on the korg kronos. But I am always left scratching my head. Learning the deeper more unintuitive features of the Kronos has a longer learning curve than I anticipated. I got together with a friend who has a Kronos today to tackle some of these topics.. We didn't get very far. We left our meeting with many theories on how the kronos is doing things but little concrete knowledge on how things are actually working.
We were also confused about the function of .KSCs .KSF sampled data in RAM vs storing on internal drive vs streaming off internal drive, properly linking saved sample data to programs. Combine (append?) .KSCs to have the kronos load out and in all new samples and programs/combis for a new show. I'm not sure why this all needs to be so complicated, but instead of complaining about it I'd rather try to understand it and move forward.

I know a lot of long-time Korg users (Triton guys) have a good handle on the whole concept of reorganizing folders and knowing which formats hold which information what needs to be copied and where they need to be placed in order to function properly.
I also realize that the complexity of all the .KSC .KSF .PCG .SNG formats probably adds many customization possibilities IF you know how to use them.

I feel that a visual representation of file/folder/format/DiskLocation Hierarchy could be very useful for many people (something similar to a synth signal flow chart). Maybe someone that has a thorough understanding of the "Korg way of thinking" could come up with a good way of helping us newbies visualize the "Big Picture" for those of us who are trying to wrap our heads around what is going on in this keyboard.

There are many posts with little bits of information scattered around but I require a more generalized big picture to understand how all these formats are connected to each other.

I don't know if Rich F. is still doing those great webcasts but I feel like an entire hour could be dedicated to this topic and I would soak it up like a sponge. The DVD tutorial is too general and the little bits of info on the forums tend to be too specific.
I can't be the only one out there feeling frustrated about this topic.

Even a selected reading guide would be greatly appreciated:
First watch the Disk mode tutorial video:
Then read this section in the manual:
Then read this post from the forum:

ANYTHING would be a great help.
If you are an expert on the topic, what were the concepts that helped you to wrap your head around the 'dark corners' of the Kronos?

If anyone could take the time to thoroughly explain this stuff many people would be very grateful.

If you voted "Completely Understand" in the poll, why not take a moment to explain a feature of the Kronos you felt was a bit confusing?

Last edited by hitektodd on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it might be typo, but there is no .PRG file. There is a .PCG file and it stands for (you guessed it)- Programs, Combinations and Global. Pretty self explanatory.
hitektodd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
First of all, it might be typo, but there is no .PRG file. There is a .PCG file and it stands for (you guessed it)- Programs, Combinations and Global. Pretty self explanatory.

Yes, this was a typo, fixed. Cool
Korglee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the flow chart idea, that would be extremely helpful.
CaptLego

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that some general overview could help to get my head wrapped around all this. So far, I've managed to do everything I've needed (which is less than 1% of this machine's capabilities), but have been mostly confused and often surprised. Where did that file come from? What's in that file? Why didn't my samples load? Why did my multisample program lose it's connection to the samples? How does this streaming vs. samples in RAM business work again? How do I manage to selectively load programs and combis to different banks, keep it working and keep track of it all?

I know, this information is all available in the manuals and various threads here. But so far I've accomplished my various tasks by poking around or following recipes, and still lack the comprehension necessary to be comfortable with the process, confident in the outcome, or able to take advantage of the real power of this beast.

Having some diagrams would help my comprehension. For example:
1) depiction of the various file types .. What's in them, and how do they relate to each other
2) combined with some process flow charts .. Which steps create and use which files. Examples could include creating custom streaming samples, configuring a set of user banks from a library for a particular performance etc.
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really helpful diagrams, providing most, if not all, of the requested information are already contained in the manuals. However, it's always possible to make or present these things better...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptLego- there is a chart in the Opertions Manual, I believe in the Disk Mode chapter, that explains the various file extensions.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operations Guide, page 192, chart of file types with hierarchy.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=225616&sid=3a453e37c3bf90894723e2a62494f2ea

Some of the nomenclature has changed, but I think they still function the same. I found this via a Google search.
hitektodd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptLego wrote:

Having some diagrams would help my comprehension. For example:
1) depiction of the various file types .. What's in them, and how do they relate to each other
2) combined with some process flow charts .. Which steps create and use which files. Examples could include creating custom streaming samples, configuring a set of user banks from a library for a particular performance etc.

You nailed it CaptLego, for anyone new to the korg world this would get people up and running a lot quicker. How things relate to each other especially when you start moving things around is where I start to get very confused.

ronnfigg wrote:
Check out this thread

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=225616&sid=3a453e37c3bf90894723e2a62494f2ea

Thank you Ronnfigg, this is great information and very clearly explained.[/quote]
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: File Hierarchy Explained Reply with quote

What specific things were you wanting to do, and having problems figuring out how to accomplish? (You mention loading multiple KSC files for a show - anything else?)

hitektodd wrote:
I've read the manual, and many topics in this forum where people quickly try to sum up the File Hierarchy system on the korg kronos. But I am always left scratching my head. I got together with a friend who has a Kronos today to tackle this particular topic. We didn't really get very far. We left our shindig with many great theories on how the kronos files and formats are set up but very little concrete knowledge on how things are actually working.
We were also confused about the function of .KSCs .KSF sampled data in RAM vs streaming of Internal disk, properly linking saved sample data to programs. Combine (append?) .KSCs to have the kronos load out and in all new samples and programs/combis for a new show.

I know a lot of long-time Korg users (Triton guys) have a good handle on the whole concept of reorganizing folders and knowing which formats hold which information what needs to be copied and where they need to be placed in order to function properly.
I also realize that the complexity of all the .KSC .KSF .PCG .SNG formats probably adds many customization possibilities IF you know how to use them.

I feel that a visual representation of file/folder/format/DiskLocation Hierarchy could be very useful for many people (something similar to a synth signal flow chart). Maybe someone that has a thorough understanding of the "Korg way of thinking" could come up with a good way of helping us newbies visualize the "Big Picture" for those of us who are trying to wrap our heads around what is going on in this keyboard.

There are many posts with little bits of information scattered around but I require a more generalized big picture to understand how all these formats are connected to each other.

I don't know if Rich F. is still doing those great webcasts but I feel like an entire hour could be dedicated to this topic and I would soak it up like a sponge. The DVD tutorial is too general and the little bits of info on the forums tend to be too specific.
I can't be the only one out there feeling frustrated about this topic.

Even a selected reading guide would be greatly appreciated:
First watch the Disk mode tutorial video:
Then read this section in the manual:
Then read this post from the forum:

ANYTHING would be a great help.
If you are an expert on the topic, what were the concepts that helped you to wrap your head around the 'dark corners' of the Kronos?

If anyone could take the time to thoroughly explain this stuff many people would be very grateful.

Todd

For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
hitektodd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking,

I play live with many different Bands:
Here are somethings I want to accomplish:
Have an entire show (samples, program data and setlists) saved in one Load file so i can swap everything out quickly and easily back things up after making edits. I want a to load all these individual profiles from the Internal Hard Drive (so i don't need to bring a USB drive to each rehearsal and show).

I will need to update each of shows with new samples periodically or "profiles" which means i need to be able add and combine new samples and multisamples to the .KSC file so that it will still all load from one item. I wish to be able to just check one item, hit load and everything for that show is ready to go.

I would like to be able to copy and share my favourite programs and combis between these "profiles". If I stumble on a great Rhodes patch and think "I want to replace the rhodes in my other show with this one."

I would like to be able to remove individual things from the PRELOAD.KSC. I don't want the big drum samples to load (the jazz kit) and I don't want both of the Grand Piano's loaded into the Ram in certain .KSCs. This is to make room for my own multi-samples.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitektodd wrote:
Thanks for asking,

I play live with many different Bands:
Here are somethings I want to accomplish:
Have an entire show (samples, program data and setlists) saved in one Load file so i can swap everything out quickly and easily back things up after making edits. I want a to load all these individual profiles from the Internal Hard Drive (so i don't need to bring a USB drive to each rehearsal and show).

I will need to update each of shows with new samples periodically or "profiles" which means i need to be able add and combine new samples and multisamples to the .KSC file so that it will still all load from one item. I wish to be able to just check one item, hit load and everything for that show is ready to go.

1. Load all custom samples as User Sample Banks (use Sampling Mode only for editing; once edited, always use User Sample Banks). For more on this, see these sections in the Operation Guide:
Sampling (Open Sampling System) -> User Sample Banks
Global Settings, Wave Seq., Drum Kits -> Automatically loading sample data
2. With all desired samples, programs, and set lists loaded, use the Disk Mode command Save All (PCG, SNG and KSC). Repeat this whenever you've edited the data.
3. When you want to load the data again, use Load for either the PCG or KSC (or SNG, for that matter), with KSC Allocation set to Clear All.
(Technically, if there is enough room in RAM, you could use Append instead and it would probably be faster.)

That's it.

hitektodd wrote:
I would like to be able to copy and share my favourite programs and combis between these "profiles". If I stumble on a great Rhodes patch and think "I want to replace the rhodes in my other show with this one."

You can load individual Programs and Combis from PCG files on disk. However, for better organization (especially for maintaining the links between Programs and Combis), I would suggest using the librarian functions of the KRONOS Editor.

hitektodd wrote:
I would like to be able to remove individual things from the PRELOAD.KSC. I don't want the big drum samples to load (the jazz kit) and I don't want both of the Grand Piano's loaded into the Ram in certain .KSCs. This is to make room for my own multi-samples.

This part of the Operation Guide should be helpful:

Global Settings, Wave Seq., Drum Kits -> Automatically loading sample data
Creating and saving .KSC files -> Creating a subset of PRELOAD.KSC

If you don't already have the E5 versions of the Operation Guide and Parameter Guide pdfs, make sure to download them from korg.com/kronos.

Hope this helps!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter four of http://www.korgforums.com/support/kronos/Manual%20PCG%20Tools.pdf might shed some light on mainly PCG files. This chapter can be informative even if one does not use PCG Tools.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hitektodd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great information is starting to compile here for anyone looking to explore these features of the Kronos. I see there are 11 people in the poll who completely understand this topic. Is there anything you guys would like to add? What helped your understanding when you first started diving into the Kronos (or any relatable Korg products?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: