Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quick switch between Combi and Prog

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skraylok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: quick switch between Combi and Prog Reply with quote

Hey all,

I cannot find a way to switch quickly between the combi and programs that I LOVE! This will make it absolutely impossible for me to use this keyboard in a live setting. Anybody know of a work around?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the combis and programs you use most in an empty bank, all close to each other?
alexdx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a combi only and enhance it with SW1/SW2 buttons for mute/unmute some layers
Past gear: M50 - my honey; microX - replacement for my X50 (like sound module controlled from M50); X50 - lightweight and powerful; KORG AX 3G - small and well
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is only using combis ... when I have a program I need I make a combi using that program.

That means for the songs I play live they are in order of the gig, like:

I-A000 SET 1 -> This is a quiet combi just for notification
I-A001 Title of song 1
I-A002 Title of song 2
I-A015 Set 2 -> Quiet combi
I-A016 Title of song 1 (of set 2)

I-A040 End

I use PCG Tools to quickly moving combis around and change texts.

Furthermore I have another bank for having the same combis but sorted by title, and another part sorted by artist.

Both these sorting possibilities will be in the next version of PCG Tools.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be clear from previous posts, but what most are suggesting is that (1) switching modes quickly and seamlessly is a pain in the butt, and (2) you can indeed save just one program as a "combi-of-one" and use it with no loss of performance values, then use it (the program) in combi mode without switching back and forth.

The third thing is that you can save any voice data in any order you want (limited by the fact that [for programs] you have to know if that voice location is being used at any other higher level [combi] and whether it has multiple references).

So if you stay in combi mode and write your set list to blank locations and use one-voice combis where you'd normally change modes then you can have your cake and eat it too.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
It may not be clear from previous posts, but what most are suggesting is that (1) switching modes quickly and seamlessly is a pain in the butt, and (2) you can indeed save just one program as a "combi-of-one" and use it with no loss of performance values, then use it (the program) in combi mode without switching back and forth.

The third thing is that you can save any voice data in any order you want (limited by the fact that [for programs] you have to know if that voice location is being used at any other higher level [combi] and whether it has multiple references).

So if you stay in combi mode and write your set list to blank locations and use one-voice combis where you'd normally change modes then you can have your cake and eat it too.

BB

Switching seamlessly is called SST (Smooth Sound Transition) and is implemented in the Korg Kronos.

With PCG Tools it is just a matter of a few clicks to see which programs are used by which combis so if it is only used by one combi or more. You also can easily move programs without ruining combis (i.e. the the combis are automatically changing references to moved programs).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Skraylok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies everybody!
I am not necessarily talking about SST.

The problem I am facing is that the lead patches that I want to use lose their effects after I drop them into a combi (Reverb, chorus, layering etc). Is there a way to retain those settings?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skraylok wrote:
I am not necessarily talking about SST.

The problem I am facing is that the lead patches that I want to use lose their effects after I drop them into a combi (Reverb, chorus, layering etc). Is there a way to retain those settings?

You can copy all the effects with it but of course used effects cannot be overwritten by other programs to the combi without ruining the lead program.

What I do mostly is:
- Copy the most important program including all effects (IFX/MFX).
- Copy then less important programs and copy those effects for which empty effect slots are left.
- At the end try to reroute the less important programs through existing effects.

TkWall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't hear you say you wanted smooth transitions, just move from either a combi or a program to the next quickly. I load each one with auto song setup as a new song in the sequencer without any notes. The settings, patches, effects are all copied. Name each entry something like "second set lead in". You can go quickly to the next. You can load the grand piano multiple times wherever you need it. You don't have to override existing patches. You can go forward and back. You can create 20 sets of 99 each. You can save them externally. You can import them. Sometimes the sequencer isn't just for sequencing.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere long ago in a far off distant place that SST was possible using the sequencer somehow for live performance. The only drawback you could not change FX. I know the Motif series can do this using the sequencer as a workaround.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The break in sound comes when the FX reset as you change from one sound to another.

The sequencer trick works because as you change from one track or instrument to another the sequence's FX do not change.

BUT you don't get any more FX with a sequencer than you do with a combi, so you still need to do some work on what FX you plan to use because you may have to compromise on some sounds especially if they depend on several FX for their identifiable timbre (i.e., a guitar with chorus-distortion-multitap delay-reverb) and or have very different settings.

What is seldom mentioned in sequencer or combi discussions is that the order in which IFX appear makes a big difference in their usability by multiple instruments. If you have a chain of IFX that are linked you are allowed to route secondary instruments in after the first effect in the chain. So, given the example guitar above, a smarter routing might be (1)distortion-(2)multitap-(3)chorus-(4)reverb. That way you could insert a pad at step (3) and drums at step (4) and not have the wilder end of the FX chain that might not be suitable for those sounds.

If you need the same type of effect on more than three instruments consider putting that into the Master FX section - you can balance (from off/dry to 100%/wet) the amount of the MFX each instrument receives but the same parameter settings (i.e, OD or compression amount) will apply.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
chrisfp99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Copying effexts from programs Reply with quote

michelkeijzers (or anybody),

When you say

- Copy then less important programs and copy those effects for which empty effect slots are left.
- At the end try to reroute the less important programs through existing effects.

Do you mean that for the less important programs you can still copy insert effects if any slots are available WITH A COMMAND, without overwriting the first program's effects, or are you saying you have to set these insert effects manually?

The manual doesn't seem to cover this topic.

Thanks,

Chris
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Copying effexts from programs Reply with quote

chrisfp99 wrote:
michelkeijzers (or anybody),

When you say

Do you mean that for the less important programs you can still copy insert effects if any slots are available WITH A COMMAND, without overwriting the first program's effects, or are you saying you have to set these insert effects manually?

The manual doesn't seem to cover this topic.

Thanks,

Chris

To be honest, I'm not sure, I don't own a Krome. However on the Kronos there is a check box when copying a program to a combi to only copy 'used' IFXs. Check the manual if the Krome has this possibility too.

If not, then you need to manually copy it.
You don't want all IFXs to be copied since it will overwrite the IFXs of the (more important) timbres already copied.

X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure even the drop-down menu will still have a Copy IFX option for individual FXs. You just have to route them manually.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: