Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome built quality
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Krome built quality Reply with quote

Back and forward to the 80's and 90's and always the same thing. If you ever had/have 3K$ or the equivalent value at those times, you get a decent Synth. Otherwise you get what I call Globalization's children.
I remember when Japan made boards where like the current Chine made ones. Thus: cheesy, flimsy, cheaply made products. Then, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Mexico and Philippines came along too. After a while each of them was growing up in expertise and getting expensive too. Look at Samsung Electronic to give you an example. Then, a new country to build cheapo products to keep exploiting people, making profit and cheating the consumer. Currently you can feel fortunate with a board made in Vietnam and of course better if in Japan. Rarely an EU or US product will cross your sight and if so, be ready to pay a year salary for it.
I do understand all people has the right to work, learn and growth. I also understand that in EU and US, whether you intend to live from your work, you need a decent salary. Then, the price of a quality product made meeting these conditions is just expensive for a pedestrian pocket. Simply because at the end the salaries are not balance with the living price. Some people get the money that should be for you. But that is another discussion.

Now, you got 1K$ extra and go shopping for a Synth. (Please better visit the local store even if later you buy online. You will surely avoid some surprises) What do you get? Some people says: "You get what you pay for" other ones say: "You get a bargain" I rather say: "You get gold-platted Bullshit"
At the end the manufacture gets your 1k$ that you hardly earned during a full work month and he makes three times his investment on benefits while a poor Chinese is exploited with the excused of being trained and fed. That is what it gets! Perhaps we cannot change it, but we should at least be fully awake.

Looking at my last unfortunate purchased, I just cry out... The Ultimate Gold-Platted Bullshit Super Korg Krome 61 cheesy keybe. 2 Gb of un-looped piano bytes inside of a plastic lighted box and triggered by a toy keyboard 5 octaves professional toy-feel called by Korg "Natural Weighted Keyboard"

The Synth is controlled with 6 plastics knobs and plenty of buttons that soon will be broken or failing and a nice PDA like screen that gives you access to a Software Proprietary Operating System based on "GPL Open Source Free Linux DISTROS".

Listen at the sound. Well, with headphones (20$ MP3 player jack phone stereo plug size) you get a decent sound. You plan to play through a PA, better take a CASIOTONE.

Be specially careful when plugging pedals, PS and output plugs. The female plastic output and MIDI connectors will not last for long without making noise or even failing completely.

Then, 1 minute booting time like Windows 3.11 on MS DOS 3.5 back in the 80's.

Patches and samples. I start by saying: "The best Synth never sounds like the real thing" In the 70's and 80's we were used to say that a Synthesizer sounds different to any other known instruments. I love them for that BTW. They sound sometimes similar to the real thing, sometimes far from it and sometimes even better. That is the truth. So, do not expect for 1k$ to get a Steinway & Sons German Grand Piano which value is some 30k$ along with thousand of Fender, Hammond, BX, Honer instruments, Ludwig percussion sets and all bunch of acoustic and ethic instruments. The violin will never sound like a Stradivarius and the Harmonica is not a Honer, Seydel, Suzuki or Tombo. It is about 300 Mbytes of ROM data similar to the other Wave based Synths we know since years. Only some improvements, synthesis routing and effects that will make a different as a result of a technology which is already 20 years old. Then, you get of course, the FM like some and the digianalog Pulses and Blows with a very large polyphony not even dreamed in the 80's.

If you are a Peruvian or an Indian, you are lucky to get specific extra samples for the same price. If you are from US or EU, Korg thought you should get less for the same price. You do not need a nice ethic sample...

As a Midi Controller. Well, with this cheapo keybe, better forget it. Perhaps as a sound module it can make the job. It looks like with the super 88 hammer action version you get a cheapo weighted and noisy light cheap upward piano-like feeling which can make the job in the stage while easy to carry on. I believe that even the Casio Celviano Digital Piano use to teach children as well as for entry lever musicians has a better keyboard. Bravo Korg! You made the grade!

Korg Guys! I am disappointed with your brand, your products and your policy. I was saving for a KRONOS, but I am scare to invest in a 3k$ board and discover where did you saved money in your Japan made boards this time in order to get so much profit as you and all manufactures look for these days. I better save money for a good guitar that I can check, test and see before emptying my account, my pocket, wallet and piggy bank.

If I could, I will replace the 61 plastic keys for a decent keyboard, the Preamps for a high grade ones and the connectors and knobs for something at least reliable. Then, I will call the Krome a professional Workstation. By the time being it is just an entry level entertainment keyboard.

Korg, Have you ever thought that we customers, would have happily paid 200$ extra to get a decent keyboard with decent hardware within the same light box with the same screen and sound of Krome? You would have probably sold few units less, but you would have kept your modest customers for the future. Good luck in the next ten years Korg!
Crying or Very sad
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange ... I have the M50 where people said the same about bad build quality. Still I use it for more than 5 years now without any problem at all.

Ok, the keybed is not as good as my Kronos, but there are somethings to trade off for about $2500 difference.

However, you are now bashing Korg ... did you do a comparison with Roland/Yamaha ... is the MOX quality better for example?

And about guitars: if you buy a guitar for $200 you can't expect much, buy a guitar of around $1000 you get something decent (comparable to Krome?) and when you buy a guitar of $2500 or $3000 (Kronos) you get something really good. And even then I think the build quality of Korg 'cheapest' workstation is a good bargain for the money.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: You are partially right Reply with quote

I agree with the fact that I am upset with Korg and probably (almost surely) all other builders do the same. My 1000 were gone to Korg.

When I was used to have three or four Synths, the built quality was secondary in all other but just one, which was my main board. With my current budget and space I wanted a 61 workstation and I bitted the hook of Korg Krome marketing machinery. The Yamaha MOX 6 has better built quality and similar sounds although the screen is just a plain LCD dot matrix retro synth screen. Price is similar.
Roland (in this price segment) is even worse! Look at the Juno line.

However, the comparing with the guitar is not right IMO. A 1000$ guitar is a very good one if you choose it well. Once you have tested and played there are not many possible surprises coming and if ever a hardware failure appears upon the time, the user can easily replace the part with a little investment.
A Synth not well built can be a 1000$ hole within some months or years with the only possibility of being serviced at the EU or US service prices. Some of them finish in eBay to past the hot potato to somebody else on an attempt of recovering some money.
I wonder why they cannot make something in between. A kind of KRONOS Le or High Grade Krome. Just some upgrade in the hardware and some extra 200$ and you get a decent board to run for years of heavy duty usage.
I am scare to take my Krome out of home at least I put it inside of a flight case worth half the price of the Synth.
Anyway thanks for your comment. It calmed me down a bit.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the launching of too many different products is commercially not interesting anymore. Probably because the market is not as big as it was since a lot of people making music at home can use a DAW/VST setup as well.

However, your Krome is already broken or do you only think it will break soon? Because I have an M50 which probably has the same build quality and I think it is a lot better than I thought. Ok, the keybed feels a bit different compared to my Kronos, and it has an adapter plug instead of a normal power plug but I never got a key stopped playing, all buttons and sliders work as they should do and I'm using it for 5 years.

However, in case the warranty is over, it will be difficult to fix a Korg (or any nowadays) synth cheaply if there is some major item to be replaced (like motherboard etc). And if something gets inside the case accidentaly (one time I let a paper clip fall into on of my synths), it takes an hour to open up the case and remove it.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not it is not broken yet. The knobs feel too fragile and they are quite high, so one must be careful when handing the board out and in/off from a gig-bag.

Then, the PS plug, moves a lot right and left sides as it would be loosen at any time.
Finally the keys they start to make a strange noise in only two months playing and not every day. Specially the number 61. They move left and right easily too. They look too fragile to me.

I am very careful with all my gear and instruments. So, it is definitely a build quality issue.

Because of these issues, I searched a bit on the internet and I found plenty of posts where people claims on the same quality issues. Even some YouTube videos.

The sound quality when driven through a PA system is even worse of what I remember of my old Korg X5D I was used to have. There is punch missing, clarity on the high frequencies and you get easily distortion. On headphones the sound is great. So the pre-amps seems to be the most probable reason.

Then, I came into panic and got cross. I would have better kept my money to get something better on the future. However, I am a bit cold to buy something over 2,5k because I am not a professional keyboard player. I play different instruments and the keyboard is just one more.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak for the Krome, but there has never fallen off a knob of my M50. Btw, once one fell of my Triton Extreme, which is considered very high build quality. But I just put it on a bit tighter and never fall off again. Also it probably was because I carried it in an unsuitable case.

Also, I wouldn't advice a gig bag, but a decent (flight) case. You don't have to buy a top of the bill one, but a gig bag is asking for trouble, especially if you move more gear laying against it, or on top (not doable with a gig bag anyway).

I can't second your story about the keys, some say the keys have a bit possibility to go left/right but if it doesn't affect your playing there is nothing wrong. A strange sound is not good ... maybe something (small dirt) entered the keys? You can open it and clean it.

Most Korg keyboards (and modern ones) have a quite high output, if you get distortion, either the volume is too high, or the gain of the PA.

The plug is indeed something to take into account. It really doesn't just break, but if you play in a band and someone very roughly hits it, it might break (but it can break any cable that way). Maybe the best way is to ask a guitar player to put his guitar stand to the back. Or otherwise make sure nobody can walk to the back of your synth if possible.

morty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: I wrote about the same issue back in an earlier post Reply with quote

Things made in Japan/Europe vs China etc etc
But unfortunatly I dont think we have much of a choice nowadays,
Unless you go to Japan/Europe directly and even then they may have already slotted the product out to the cheaper companies, but they're retail prices dont cheapen do they???Sad Cars are going to plastic what can I say...

but that being said I have the Krome 88 no major problems thus far a
Kurzweil 2 squeaky keys but tolerable.I do have 3 recently purchased products I couldnt believe they were still made in Japan and have had no problems whatsoever; Roland VK8M organ module/MotifXS Rack/and the new Roland I7 so far so good.But time will tell.

anyways just have to live with the choices and enjoy them to the best of our ability:)

Current Gear: KORG KROME 88 - KURZWEIL PC-3 - ROLAND INTEGRA 7 - ROLAND A PRO-800 Midi Controller - ROLAND VK8M Organ Module - YAMAHA MOTIF XS RACK
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "Build Quality" has different meanings to different people. I think everyone can agree that build quality includes how well something is put together. Does it work, do panels line up, do keybeds function correctly and so on. It can also include how it feels. It might be built well and be functioning properly but it still feels cheap.

I think the Krome is put together well but it does feel a bit cheap as does the M50. The original Kronos on the other had was a poor build quality period without regard to the feel. So just because it feels cheap and plastic doesn't necessarily mean it's poorly built although I personally prefer a synth that is built like a tank.
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without entering in semantic meaning, let put an example:

2 x 500€ bank notes looks the same in every where whether you put them for a Krome or for a Kronos. Indeed, for a Kronos you have to put 6 of them, more or less. But the value of each of one is 500 and that value is not lowered by the fact that you pay only 2 of them. In other words, I do not expect the features and sound of Kronos, but I do expect the quality of the machine simply because my money has the same value that Korg's one. I earn it honestly and hardly. So, cheapo things at 1000 $ or € are not welcome. There are CASIO keyboards at 400 euros featuring better quality keys although at the features level, you get what you pay for. The sound directed to the PA should have the same quality of the one you get on the headphones to make this usable for professionals as they called "professional workstation entry level" That is my point and my claim to Korg.
jameslol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: There is no any problem about the Korg KEYBED Reply with quote

It's so strange that you're bashing Korg Krome by some very individual subjective opinons.

I'm 29 years old, I have owned Korg M1, Roland XP30, Yamaha DXII and the new Korg Krome 73. I find there is nothing wrong with the Keybed from Korg.

Well, Korg is doing well this era. Krome is still a nice Synth. There is nothing real articulation Guitar or Wood, Brass, and I love it. Korg provides us different Sound dimentions. Sounds from Kord is like no others.

Key!! I play well with my band even Rock, Jazz or standard Pop music. My friends always say Korg Krome 73 is the best Music Workstation for Band and DAW.

You're stranger in this Forum when complain about an low-end workstation. You know that Krome 73 only $999, come on You can not complain a workstation like this.
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion can be subjective. Perhaps! But it is not individual. Just make a bit of research on the Internet. Reviews from professional literally stating:
"You can find better key bed on toys"

Sorry I mean what I said and I know what I said. I was used to have Cosmo Synthesizers from Casio in the past. They were cheap and people judged them as toys and for only two models they called them Semi Professional Synth. Any of the key bed of those model were far better than the one installed on the Krome. Currently Casio offers a Synth line XW with a lower price just the half of the Krome. If this is true that features are not comparable, the key bed is far better.
As I said on my previous Posts. I do not expect features of a 2 or 3k board, but please whether Korg sell a Workstation for professionals, why they do not put a decent key bed on. I even said, I will not care to pay a bit more to have a little better quality keys. Is that subjective?
I am very happy to learn that all you are happy with the Krome. I could have been happy if I would have pay 700$ for it like it is or 1200$ for a good Keybe. But 1000$ for this? Sorry I am not doing something like that again.

Why Yamaha MOX line at the same price offer better Key bed. Is that subjective? Try one or read review. You will find that my point is not only an individual point but a very much share complain.
Anyway thanks for your comments, because they cheered me up!
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add. I do own a Krome and I put my finger on the keys. Is that a subjective opinion? or I do not have a clue of what subjective means??
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in times that we prefer a car that can run at 200 KM/h without any reliability than another slower but more reliable.

The builders, they know that trend and that is why they give us what pleases us. They catch our attention with the marketing campaign and then, they go for it at the lower possible cost yet reliable enough to run during the warranty period. Then, if we are lucky we get it running for 5 years and if unlucky we put it in eBay and pass the BS to somebody else. Then, we buy the next one.
About a year ago I gave up a CZ3000 manufactured in Japan in 1985. The price of that board was equivalent to the Krome. Are you keeping your Krome in good shape for 27 years? Sorry I do not believe it.
StudioF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ruiky1964
maybe i can give a different example of poor build quality....
At this pont of time im on my 4th xbox 360 ( and i dont play that much)
im on my second flatscreen tv ( and i dont watch that much tv)
im on my second blue-ray player ( i dont play BR/DVD that much)
i will stop here with the products i had to replace in the last 5 years.....
this means i spend a whole lot more money on other products then on my Korg M50 wich runs fine since 2008, And i bought it second hand ( was a showroom model).And i play it a lot Smile
considering this all and all.... Korg doesnt do so bad after all, despite the less quality keybed, knobs,sliders.

And on a sidenote... I own 44 synths from different brands (including modules) the only problems i ever had with those synths, was the battery and my EMX had the jitter knob problem. wich have been solved thanks to a forum member here (the baking paper solution )
So my advice is.... just enjoy your KROME and see the musical potential of it, instead the way it is build.
StudioF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this is my gearlist:

Roland D-10
Roland JV-880
Roland Juno Stage
Korg MonoTribe
Roland U-220
Korg WaveStation EX
Korg M50
Korg PS-60
Yamaha CS1x
Korg X5
Korg i40M
Korg MonoTron
Korg Kaossilator Pro
Yamaha Tenori-on orange
Roland GAIA sh-01
Roland Lucina AX-09
Novation KS rack
Korg MicroKorg
Korg DS-10 (nintendo DSi )
Korg ESX
Korg EMX
Access Virus TI
Roland XP-80
Roland D-50
Roland juno-106
Roland JX-8P
Roland JX-3P
Roland U-110
Roland MKS-50
Roland SH-201
Roland MC-808
Waldorf Blofeld
Yamaha DX-21
Yamaha TG-33
Yamaha DJX (keyboard.. got it for free)
Korg Radias
Korg wavestation A/D
Korg ex-800
Korg poly-61
Korg KaosPad
Oberheim Matrix R6
Ensoniq ASR-10 (sampler)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: