Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KROME -SOUND PROBLEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hartlas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rovito - I agree with comments above. Most will be fine, just keep an ear out for any unusual sounds. (Mine sounded like it was running out of polyphony, when lots of chords or arpeggios were played quickly with the sustain pedal down it would "click" like it ran out of notes.)

The Krome is a great instrument, don't let this spoil it for you!

Happy playing!
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartlas

KORG Krome is a fantastic keyboard. The only problem is this annoying one with piano. It isn't sure your Krome will fail. But as you can see there is a considerable number of people with this problem. So in my opinion KORG has to organize a recall and publish an official note explaining the source of this problem and what have to do for fixing it.
sodastream

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a short note on how I overcame this:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=92135
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodastream
I've read your post. Same situation has happened to me. They only fix my Krome problem after I insisted and a video demonstrating the piano cutting that I've sent to them by e-mail.

I believe KORG knows the problem, but doesn't want to recognize it in public. I don't understand their position because it is destroying KORG Krome image. It is an amazing keyboard with many top-level keyboard features. Krome deserves more KORG attention.
sodastream

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the possible benefit of others with the Korg KROME audible cutoff problem, this is how I documented it. (Fair warning: I'm a simple-minded keyboard user.)

First of all, this procedure may be destructive. By all means back up your keyboard to an SD card before you begin. This and other procedures mentioned below are well documented in the manuals (especially the Operations Guide).

Write down what you do. Print out a copy and attach it to the keyboard when you turn it in.

Make sure you have the latest OS version. Upgrade otherwise. They won't even look at your keyboard otherwise.

Reset to factory settings.

Select Combi mode.

Select Bank D and some unprogrammed slot (InitCombi).

In the Prog 1-8 tab, select A040: KROME Piano + Dyno E.P. for track 1 (T01).

Click the Solo button.

In the Mixer tab, make sure all levels are at 127 (highest).

Connect the keyboard audio output as directly as possible to a computer for recording.

The point about all this is to make sure you play a "pristine" keyboard with factory settings only and no other gear involved. Even so I was accused of having loaded the keyboard with "strange things" (whatever it was, completely beyond my knowledge).

Play (and record). Play a lot, fat chords, use sustain. Keep playing until you have recorded a few loud pops. Include a link to wherever you store the recording.

My brother is a car mechanic. He virtually diagnoses even the slightest engine problem from 100 yards away just by listening. However, there are several stories in this forum indicating that Korg staff are surprisingly immune to little clicks. You will need cracks and pops.

Like other forum members I really appreciate the great sound of the KROME when it works. It's a pity the company did not respond gracefully when a quality problem appeared.
Maxxflash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my Krome suffers from this same problem and Korg seems set on turning their backs on Krome owners. I sent an email to Korg with a link to this topic months back. Korg responded with what I would describe as a generic email advising me to contact the dealer where it was purchased. I will be contacting Sweetwater for a repair, and assuming it gets fixed, selling it as soon as I get it back. Sorry Korg, I just don't want anything to do with a company that treats me like this. There are other manufactures making excellent keyboards and I feel they would probably appreciate my business more than Korg. Just my 2 cents Evil

Maxxflash
rhynotax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have the same issue as everyone else here, piano sound cutout while using damper, usually accompanied by a pop/cliping sound… This my second krome keyboard and it has failed the same way as my first one, both of them under the same year, and my warranty has now expired…
This seems to be a very widespread problem and it baffles me that korg hasn’t issued a fix or at least a statement regarding the problem.
This will also be my last korg product I will ever bought. So very disappointing...
mpaul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My krome again replaced with a new Motherboard under warranty. No any problem till Now and same as hope the future.
*Thanks to my merchant and KORG*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rovito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have joined the club! My Krome has the cutoff problem. Happens on all sounds and all audio just stops. No reverb hang or anything. My Krome is still new enough for exchange and I have boxed it up and unboxed it twice. I like this machine so much I'm having a hard time letting it go back. Playing live and editing on the fly is so easy.
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this issue is no fixed with an OS update or patches update it seems that the problem relates on the ASIC design quality inside the PCM/DSP sound engine which Korg calls EDSx (Enhanced Definition Synthesis, Extended) or on DAC stages. In other words is a logic issue of the digital architecture on PCM/DSP samples engine. Reading the post messages the issue appears after months of use, is not a factory issue from scratch. This means that a sort of degradation on the integrated IC devices e.g. the PCM/DSP sound engine called EDSx or the DAC converter stages leads to the random clipping noise. If the issue appears after months of use we need to discard an OS failure or ASICs logic core bugs.

On most cases a high operating temperature on digital IC devices are the root causes about random failures after months of usage. Overheating conditions leads to the core degradation on digital IC chips, voltage regulators and analog amplifiers. The time on which a digital device will start to fail working at high temps is related to the quality of the digital logic core of the ASICs in use and its glue logic (this type of issues happens on memories chips, I/O storage devices, tablets, cell phones, PCs hardware, etc).

Hearing again the video I think that the issue relates to a failure on the DSP effects RAM or the internal effects data bus, anyway this should be addressed by Korg engineering.

I know that most PCM sound engines use the samples interpolation method to mix different sounds limited by the maximum polyphony in real-time. The note cut-off relates to a "sound clipping point" on the digital synthesis inside the Krome ASICs sound engine design. A revised/corrected version of the ASICs quality and its glue logic is the solution and the reason why the motherboard should be replaced. That's my point of view.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
jorge13

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem, but now solved. I'm sharing with you my experience.
There's something wrong with the internal micro SD card (bad quality, perhaps).
This is how I solve it:

- Opened Krome, in order to access the internal micro SD card (It's very accessible, just remove the back cover and you might able see it)
- Remove card and insert it in a computer. (I'm running Windows 8.1)

Note: You cannot access to the card content, Windows do not recognize the format (may be a different mbr or partition), instead of that you must copy the content using a Disk Raw copy tool. I found a software called "HDD Raw Copy Tool" for free, and works fine for me.

- In this application first create the raw image of the card using the original card of your Krome, once it finishes use a new card (I used a SanDisk 8Gb HC I Class 10) and load the raw image created. Once it's done, install the new card on the Krome, and that's all.

Hope this helps someone else.
marct2009

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Same issue for almost a year Reply with quote

Well just like the rest of you I have the same issue. I've tried everything that I could find on this website to fix it. I've even talked to another korg krome owner and copied his image from the micro sd card to a new micro sd card for my keyboard. Still no luck. Mad Mad Mad Mad I have to agree with the detailed reply from earlier explaining that it may be the motherboard ultimately. Awhile back I remember getting a price quote on the mother board from a local repair shop and he told me 300.00+ dollars. So if your looking to replace the mother board yourself be ready to put up some big bucks.
Newstyl3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I join the group, my Korg Krome first began with a piano cut off like on the video, and when i rebooted. i had this message: "System Error 216 Task ID: 1 on Line: 345", i changed the sd card and it seem like if was solved. but after a short time this trouble comes again.
PD: i have this keyboard since february 2014 and never show me a single error.

www.ks-tool.net Sample Management Tool For Korg!
Woodstock0815

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

i just wanted to say i had the same issue with the dropped notes shown in alfredokiwis video.

I replaced the internal mico sd card with a class 10 16GB noname one and it works perfectly now.

While creating the image of the sd card, the software displayed a read rate round about 5 MB/s. This is not ok for a class 10 sd card. The new noname card had a read rate of ~13MB/s.

So it seems the reason for the dropped notes is that the original sd card (at least mine) was not able to deliver the sample data fast enough.

I dont know if this replacing procedure also eliminates the crackling/distortion issues...
rovito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you copy the image of the sd card? I would like to make a backup. If I do a complete back up to the sd card in the rear port will everything I need be there or must I remove the micro sd card from the machine and simply copy or duplicate it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: