Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the Stereo Piano's like on the M3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: What are the Stereo Piano's like on the M3 Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Dr.InnoVation.Bennicelli wrote:
GregC wrote:
Fantom X will be the better option for a realistic piano sound.

says the man who sounds ( looks ? ) like Peter Gabriel
Very Happy

says the illegitimate son of hef? lol

for those that have actually played a real reputable reknown piano would say nay to an M3 piano. Fact>opinion.

yes, Peter, stay with your CP70
Very Happy

Or Rhodes Laughing

Anyway, how do M3's stock organs sound?
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
Quote:
Fact>opinion

And what "fact" are you pointing to? An opinion based on the fact that you played a "real reputable reknown piano" is just that - an opinion. If it is the case that you have played a "real reputable reknown piano", that is a fact for you. For the rest of us who did not witness this event, it's hearsay. And above all, you're opinion, in any stretch of logic, can never be a fact. So, your statement, 'Fact>opinion" does not apply.

In any comparison of sounds, whether we are talking about "real" pianos, sampled or pcm versions, we are relegated to the arena of perception and therefor can only make referrence to an opinion. It comes down to a matter of tastes, none of which are facts.

Okay you make a good point. However as everything in life is subject to this idea of "perception" indeed there is a fact among opinions that need not be proven to know that someone with a touch of intellect and experience speaks the truth...Example.....

As a car enthusiast I like ALL performance cars. However I know that a 2006 Pontiac GTO which is actually a Holden Monaro in disguise IS BETTER than a Mustang GT, or the new Shelby GT that lists for approx. 40,000.00
-GTo's are no longer made, but had a price of 33,180 give or take depending on the options. Now, the perception all across America is that the Mustang is the best muscle car for the money, nevermind how poorly constructed they are or how plasticly creeky the interior is the PERCEPTION IS quite simple, a mustang IS the better choice. I know that to be TRUE, not perception but factual reality...We can take a look at sales to show this. In EVERY aspect the GTO wins, however the Mustang is the "gotta have it factor' and the American people have chosen! If 50% of the mustang owners perceive it to be the best, IS it? Or is it the best to them? I own a GTO AND I realize this is an m3 forum....I respect the M3 and what it can do, but faithfully recreate a piano with absent variables is a no go for me, and it's a shock to hear people say it's up there with (name workstation here)

The M3 is no different and is subject to the same critiques.
I guarantee you that the developers at Korg did not set out to make a realistic piano patch in the M3, hell even Ensoniq's perfect piano patch from the Zr is better and that was nearly 10 years ago. If someone has not the experience to know any better then your mission statement of relegating to the arena of perception would be correct, however there are omitted variables you haven't mentioned that pwn "perception" and they are not limited to Experience,having an ear for music, logical common sense. It is a fact that the M3 sounds nothing like a real piano.....

Velocity
Dynamics
Natural decay
Resonance Are all absent from the sound, even had they captured at the very least the sound of a real piano those attributes are missing. I am not saying this to argue, but you should take a step back and listen to a real piano then play your M3 because it isn't even close. Is an M3 a kewl board? Absolutely, just not for a pianist who KNOWS what and how a real piano should sound/play like.
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fact that the M3 sounds nothing like a real piano.....

Velocity
Dynamics
Natural decay
Resonance Are all absent from the sound, even had they captured at the very least the sound of a real piano those attributes are missing. I am not saying this to argue, but you should take a step back and listen to a real piano then play your M3 because it isn't even close. Is an M3 a kewl board? Absolutely, just not for a pianist who KNOWS what and how a real piano should sound/play like.

Too many facts in your opinions... (in my humble opinion Very Happy)

No electronic keyboard or software can compete will all the nuances off a real piano. Neverthless, the one in the M3 is not that bad.
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnet basowy wrote:
It is a fact that the M3 sounds nothing like a real piano.....

Velocity
Dynamics
Natural decay

Too many facts in your opinions... (in my humble opinion Very Happy)

No electronic keyboard or software can compete will all the nuances off a real piano. Neverthless, the one in the M3 is not that bad.

Wow. Would you mind telling me what other boards you own and can share a sound clip of what you do on the boards?
To be fare I'll post one of me and a tweaked Fantom if you would oblige me.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Would you mind telling me what other boards you own and can share a sound clip of what you do on the boards?
To be fare I'll post one of me and a tweaked Fantom if you would oblige me.

No, I don't oblige you to do anything.. Smile
I don't want to make a competition on which one have the longer one (in Italy we say so, but I think you can understand also in english). I've passed this age since a long time. Wink
To be an "expert" don't allow to transform opinions in fact. Indeed, being expert should make aware someone of the margin of relativeness in many things.
Said that, I don't think to have said in the preovious post a wrong thing.

bye bye.. Rolling Eyes

Ps. what a big signature..
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thank God not all Italians have an attitude like yours.
I'm Italian and find it so disconcerting reading your post.

For the record comparing sounds isn't a competition, and taking it that way, the way you have says something subliminally about you.
I'm an amateur, not professional. I have experience in this sort of thing so I'm qualified to comment and while you may think my opinion isn't fact, well, real pianists would agree and wouldn't purchase an M3 strictly for the piano patches in contains. I'm so sorry you don't have thicker skin and cannot fathom the M3 piano sound being what it is. One day you may see the light. Until then I concede Ignorance is bliss. Surprised
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions are just that opinions. I have an acoustic piano that I play everyday and others I can play at work. As a former owner of a Fantom X, the piano sounds were just ok to me. Certainly better than the Triton Extreme and comparable with the M3. I would take the Fantom over the M3 but I would take the Yammy P250 over both of them. Personally I like the piano on the Yamaha Motif XS better than both the Fantom X or M3.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thank God not all Italians have an attitude like yours.
I'm Italian and find it so disconcerting reading your post.

For the record comparing sounds isn't a competition, and taking it that way, the way you have says something subliminally about you.
I'm an amateur, not professional. I have experience in this sort of thing so I'm qualified to comment and while you may think my opinion isn't fact, well, real pianists would agree and wouldn't purchase an M3 strictly for the piano patches in contains. I'm so sorry you don't have thicker skin and cannot fathom the M3 piano sound being what it is. One day you may see the light. Until then I concede Ignorance is bliss. Surprised

Mmm.. bad tentative to provoke with personal considerations. This doesn't touch me more than.. a post can touch. Live good with your "certain facts".
For me it ends here.

ciao ciao Sounds Good
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two requests, please!!!

One:

Can you please not hijack my thread and create a separate topic on whatever it is you guys are arguing/talking about:

Two:

To Dr.InnoVation.Bennicelli, can you please remove the photo/graphics from your tag line. It is sucking up valuable storage space on this site, taking up valuable white-space in our posts, and making message threads hard to read.

Thank you and have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New year!!
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
I have two requests, please!!!

One:

Can you please not hijack my thread and create a separate topic on whatever it is you guys are arguing/talking about:

Two:

To Dr.InnoVation.Bennicelli, can you please remove the photo/graphics from your tag line. It is sucking up valuable storage space on this site, taking up valuable white-space in our posts, and making message threads hard to read.

Thank you and have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New year!!

AMEN!

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
bctines

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen 2.

I've found that several of my XS7 pianos (I'm on the road and the XS is home so I can't recall all the patch names) cut through better in a live situation, unless I do a bunch of EQing on my M3-73. EXCEPT for the lower octave on the M3. That's more ballsy than the XS.

But it's also heavily related to what one uses for amplification. I tweak for a Bose PAS (for solo gigs) and a sort of generic buzzcutter for band dates that I usually have to massage for the venue.

But what beats it all for me is the feel of the M3's keybed. It's so much more fun and much less tiring than the XS.

There's another part of this for live giggers, IMO...how much more easy it is to work with the M3's screen. As Jim Aitkin recently said in EM, the XS screen is almost impossible to read at angles the M3's is OK. So when switching piano timbres (like from the 3-way AP to a tackyized honky-tonk AP, I'm less likely to grab the wrong one on the M3. This may not directly address your opening questions, but on stage it is important.

How well an AP sounds in the sterile studio is one thing. How it sounds in a loud venue is another. Maybe that's obvious, but I don't think it's terribly useful for live players to compare sounds except in the heat of battle.

Re the Fantom, I don't have one, but if it's the same as the SRX sounds, I like the XS/M3 better on stage. I do use the SRX pianos with my Keytar and the APs just don't "bite" as well.

I'll leave the drawbar part of this for later. I use combis from someone other than Korg. His name escapes me right now, unfortunately. But they are much better for country rock and jazz, IMO, even though it is so subjective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: