Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Keyboard and Software VSTi's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XVampireX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Midi Keyboard and Software VSTi's Reply with quote

Hi again, I was absent from these forums for a while, but here's a new topic, something that might be interesting for a lot of you.

The question is simple, what is better, a combination of what's in the topic name, or a complete hardware synthesizer such as Korg M3/Oasys or other companies...

I've just decided for myself actually that while I love korg and I just can't wait to still have a Korg Oasys, it's still too expensive for me, wouldn't my own computer (Intel Quad Core processor, not P4 like in Oasys...) suit really good for these kind of stuff, too? How about Muse Research Receptor, if portability is an issue with a desktop PC.

What I'm trying to ask here for real is actually really simple, again, should I get a Korg M3/Oasys or should I start with a midi keyboard and my PC/Receptor?

A little bit on/off-topic, Is there ANY way to do what Karma can do via VSTi's? I understand what an arpeggiator and what karma is exactly now, but I would really like to be able to do something like karma with a PC and midi keyboard...

And a little bit more on topic - Everyone should try some of the tools from Komplete, they are AWESOME, especially FM8... (I'm talking about demo, too, if you don't have the money for it, it's the full version just limited in some ways)
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Midi Keyboard and Software VSTi's Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
The question is simple, what is better, a combination of what's in the topic name, or a complete hardware synthesizer such as Korg M3/Oasys or other companies... I've just decided for myself actually that while I love korg and I just can't wait to still have a Korg Oasys, it's still too expensive for me, wouldn't my own computer (Intel Quad Core processor, not P4 like in Oasys...) suit really good for these kind of stuff, too? How about Muse Research Receptor, if portability is an issue with a desktop PC. What I'm trying to ask here for real is actually really simple, again, should I get a Korg M3/Oasys or should I start with a midi keyboard and my PC/Receptor? And a little bit more on topic - Everyone should try some of the tools from Komplete, they are AWESOME, especially FM8... (I'm talking about demo, too, if you don't have the money for it, it's the full version just limited in some ways)

Well you have alot of questions and different directions you can go. I'm going to take a stab at this. First off and arguably the most important thing is that different things are going to work for different people. There really isn't a best all in one answer to your question. I do think just about everything you could want and need is on the Oasys. It truly is an all in one. Many people prefer to either have two different companies products like the Yamaha Motif XS and the Korg M3 since the sounds are different and you can get more variety. The flip side is you have to learn to different systems which takes time as opposed to owning two Korg products where the layout will be very similar from one product to the next. If your studio, you can do the PC/Mac softsynth and keyboard/s type set up. You can use receptor to do this live using softsynths as well live but you probably should use a laptop instead of hauling around a desktop unit. Komplete is ok, but there are many people out there that will swear by other softsynths. Personally I'd break down each unit in Komplete and compare it to other things its competes with so I could get the best sounds and not be stuck with a bundled package.

I guess the biggest question is are you using this as a gigging set up, home studio setup or both? I think its easier to make a recommendation when you specifically know what someone is looking to do. For me I'd go softsynths, controller and workstation/s for home studio, for live I would want one maybe two boards. I would stay away from computer stuff due to my own concern with reliability live.

Last edited by silverdragonsound on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Midi Keyboard and Software VSTi's Reply with quote

oops I double posted. Nothing to see here, move on... Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing
Dr.InnoVation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Midi Keyboard and Software VSTi's Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
Hi again, I was absent from these forums for a while, but here's a new topic, something that might be interesting for a lot of you.

The question is simple, what is better, a combination of what's in the topic name, or a complete hardware synthesizer such as Korg M3/Oasys or other companies...

I've just decided for myself actually that while I love korg and I just can't wait to still have a Korg Oasys, it's still too expensive for me, wouldn't my own computer (Intel Quad Core processor, not P4 like in Oasys...) suit really good for these kind of stuff, too? How about Muse Research Receptor, if portability is an issue with a desktop PC.

What I'm trying to ask here for real is actually really simple, again, should I get a Korg M3/Oasys or should I start with a midi keyboard and my PC/Receptor?

A little bit on/off-topic, Is there ANY way to do what Karma can do via VSTi's? I understand what an arpeggiator and what karma is exactly now, but I would really like to be able to do something like karma with a PC and midi keyboard...

And a little bit more on topic - Everyone should try some of the tools from Komplete, they are AWESOME, especially FM8... (I'm talking about demo, too, if you don't have the money for it, it's the full version just limited in some ways)

Why not both?
SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=868853
XVampireX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Shrike just today and he asked me why I'm not getting Korg M3 and I told him cause I think I'm still lacking enough resources both in skill and in investment to be able to buy a professional synthesizer/workstation. But then I told him that I am going to start with a midi keyboard and then progressively go for an M3... or even Oasys, or something better when it comes out..

There are a few questions left unanswered, so I will leave it to you to discover them, I was actually waiting for answers for the more serious question:

"A little bit on/off-topic, Is there ANY way to do what Karma can do via VSTi's? I understand what an arpeggiator and what karma is exactly now, but I would really like to be able to do something like karma with a PC and midi keyboard... "

and adding to that, on topic, of course - Which midi keyboard controller do you recommend me that has just enough features to completely learn about how a real synthesizer would work. For example so far I've seen 2 pretty good midi keyboard controller, one is M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro and the other one is CME UF8, I've read some bad things about KS88P and learned about CME UF8 being pretty good and even with aftertouch!
But I know there are other midi keyboard controllers, so if you know of any really good ones to recommend, I would really appreciate it Smile Thanks...
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things.

1. Your question might get a better response over on the Karma labs Oasys Forums.

2. I am not sure but I am thinking if you can import you VSTi's sounds onto the Oasys as samples, you should be able to use them with the Oasys that way. You may want to see if you have a way to covert your VSTi' sounds into an audio format read by the Oasys. Not sure if you can do that though. You could also sample the sounds yourself, but that's opening a new, big can of worms.

3. In terms of using a computer, I know when I had my Triton Extreme, there was a software program that gave me the ability to use the karma features on my TE and it also had some other features. Unfortunately I never took full advantage of it and actually never got past the demo. It may however be able to do what you want should a version be available for the Oasys.

I hope this at least helps somewhat. Sorry I couldn't be more precise and specific.
XVampireX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way I just found out recently that CME has a new model called VX8 (8 for 88 keys) and so far from reviews it has only few problems and generally they give it good rating, if not great... So that's going to be my first midi keyboard, It costs about 1000 USD but it has all the features such as aftertouch and has tons of other features as well as motor faders...

So I'm gonna learn much about these things and then I can start getting myself a nice workstation like the M3 and the Oasys so I can quickly get into it Wink

Oh and by the way, It has graded hammer keys, what do you think, is that a good thing or is it too limited to piano?
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the keyboard magazine forums where I also hangout, many of the keyboardist there are very critical of the functionality and action on the CME midi controllers. I got to play one briefly and was extremely turned off by the action. That being said action especially and functionality are all important only to the user so if you like it, that's all that matters. IMO I think you would be better of spending $1000 on something like the original Yamaha S90 you could get a great keyboard and a midi controller to boot. Just a thought.
The SOJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used, and still use my trusty Triton Classic to muck about on, get ideas, do rough song layouts etc...

I also have my laptop running Sonar when I want to record stuff.

I've used soft synths on the PC and the audio sounds from the Triton.
Just depends what suits the song.

I probably still play the Triton more than the soft-synths though.
XVampireX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again after so long.

silverdragonsound: I understand what you're saying, I hear everywhere that there are some issues with the CME keyboards (Mostly bad build quality and stuff related to the firmware which they forget that they need to press enter and not yes), but those without the issues talk only good things about the keyboards.

I'm only getting into the Music career so I think it would be best if I would go with a midi controller. Why I want to get the VX8 is actually because of the enormous amounts of different controls, from faders to knobs to pitchbend/modulation wheels and even a ribbon controller. and the faders are even motorized. It's kinda like heaven I would think. Also VX and UF series are getting a new DSP card called ASX which will host plugins, with 24 note polyphony... But still I guess the plugins will be pretty good, and from what I heard they are nice!

In other controllers it's really hard to get that amount of controls, and most of the ones who offer competitive features cost a lot more. Most people in general don't suggest getting a midi controller and instead get a workstation capable of midi, but I think that's Bollocks.

Anyway, if you have any suggestion of other keyboards that I should get that would be really helpful, keep in mind the keyboard should have as many options as possible.

Another something that I'd like to ask is perhaps one of you knows which sound card to get for midi and also for microphone for stuff like vocoder but it should be good for minimal latency and high quality under budget ($200 tops).

I know there's Creative but from what I understand they are not in the market for professional audio cards for recording, they do have some market share in the gaming world though Razz

Well thanks people if you can help, and even if you can't help as much as I'd hope you could help (But I bet you CAN help Razz )

Ciao,
-Sergey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: