Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advantage of 2Gb RAM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Advantage of 2Gb RAM Reply with quote

I'm considering a Kronos 73 and would really appreciate a quick "Dummies" guide to the advantage of having 2GB RAM. I will want to install Kronos Assault (the new one) plus Karo strings as a minimum. Do these have to have the RAM or do they run off the SSD ?
What does the RAM do that the SSD can not?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean the advantage of having 3 GB (instead of the factory default 2 GB).

Normally the RAM is quite filled, when using external libraries (samples) it uses both SSD and RAM. Most is stored in SSD, but the beginning of every sample needs to be in RAM (because even the SSD is not THAT fast).

Therefore, if you plannign to use lots of samples or using external sample libraries, 3 GB is what you need, unless you want to unload factory default samples.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Macca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you michelkeijzers for your response. I thought Kronos came with a stock 1GB RAM but I note you say it is 2GB. The dealer who I have spoken to says it will cost me £60 extra (includes carriage costs) for them to send the keyboard to Korg for the additional RAM to be installed, before I purchase !! So that would be for just one additional gigabyte of RAM - seems a lot!!

But I note the Japanese piano is 4GB and I don't like it !! So if I "unload" this all the time does that automatically give me "the equivalent" of an extra 4GB RAM ?? This is where I am not understanding the relation between the SSD and RAM.

If it DOES do the above then I clearly can install Irish Acts Kronos Assault and Karo strings and more into that spare amount of SSD and purchasing 1GB RAM for £60 would appear unnecessary ??
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory is normally about half price of that but of course they also count in labour hour ... I haven't added memory myself but it can't be that difficult.

The Japanese piano is 4GB on the SSD. However, only the beginning parts of those samples need to be stored in RAM and that is far from 4GB (probably hundreds of MB, you can read this on the Kronos in the global tab, then go to the KSC/samples part). So if you don't load the Japanese grand, it will save you those hundreds of MB, not 4GB.

I don't know how much Irish Acts Kronos Assault and/or Karo strings use, but I can't imagine you have enough at 2GB.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca

Uninstalling the Japanese piano or other EXis will provide you some additional RAM (depending on the EXi, one or several hundreds Mb), but not the 4Gb you mention

I would for sure go for the RAM upgrade. I did it myself following the instructions you find in this forum, spending in total 19 Euro's, but if you're not comfortable doing so (and there's a warrenty risk as well), I'd go for the 60 pounds.

There's for example the additional EXs3 (brass) that you might want to install (comes with the Kronos, but is not installed), or several public domain libraries that you find in download sections that are quite nice (e.g Sonatina strings)

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
Macca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to both of you, michelkeijzers and AdDeRoo. That clears it up for me.

I will go ahead and get the dealer to arrange the install. I certainly don't want to try it myself even if it may seem easy to some. And my dealer prefers Korg to do it so that everything is above board.

I'm led to believe a new Kronos Assault (Irish Acts) is in development and that will be a big plus for me as I am a massive fan of Sharp's sample libraries.
mercede1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any of you guys provide me the ram name,anywhere online to buy...any discussion in the forum about it and i missed it? Smile
KORG I30
KORG PA800 (Past)
DocBambs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca,

I ordered a K61 today and the dealer has included getting Korg to upgrade the memory in the price and also threw in a NanoPad. I don't know what price you got, but it's worth checking.

If it's not too late... PM me for details.

DB
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs can also be found on the official Korg site, and if you look a bit around, there is also a thread with some examples of RAM that work.

alanjpearson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mercede1 wrote:
Can any of you guys provide me the ram name,anywhere online to buy...any discussion in the forum about it and i missed it? Smile

You need this - this is whats in there already:

HYNIX 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400 DDR2 800 MHz DESKTOP RAM MEMORY HYMP125U64CP8

If not Hynix then major manufacturer same spec.

Bought mine on EBay for £15

R
Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: