Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On The Verge Of Buying A Kronos.....But...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: On The Verge Of Buying A Kronos.....But... Reply with quote

During the early part of the year 2011 I was contemplating upgrading my system,possibly for the very last time before it's too late
and following a good look around I opted for the Korg M3.
I knew I would have to wait a while longer before some affordability would be in place,but I was quite happy and settled with my choice.

Then along came the Kronos……..My oh my,it certainly did change things!
I immediately altered my mind and wanted one of them instead.

Then as we all know,supply became a problem for many,but this coincided with my own financial opportunity,so,that was ok.
The money became available around September 2011 and was all set to go!!!

The following weeks,turned into months and became a frustrating affair,not only with finding one to buy,but reports of some problems began
to emerge.
I won't enter into any further details here,as most of us already know about them.

Unfortunately though,it has put me off buying one as yet,because I don't fancy taking the "risk" of getting one with any of the reported problems.
(I know there are workarounds etc,which will solve these snags,but I don't really want the hassle of doing so if I can avoid it).

However,I am now getting so impatient and very eager to get my hands on one,I may as well take the plunge,whatever.
I'm monitoring the stocks of local music shops with the hope that when they get "new" stock in,they will be the latest version of the Kronos
keyboards and be problem free…..???….

Another consideration is which version to get,either the 61 or 73 key.
For piano playing the 73 would be favourite,but I'm not sure about the hammer action part of it.

I've got so used to a standard keyboard for so long,the transition may be too demanding for the change as I've not played a piano for well over
thirty years.
The 61 key would provide the even feel and perhaps better for synth type style,but…..it's shorter than the 73,obviously and the extra
octave could be significant.

The need to physically make the side by comparison during a shop visit would be the best plan.
However,it may not be possible to do just that and will simply buy either one regardless.
I would welcome further thoughts from others who may have also been through this phase and how they arrived at a final decision.

Since I wrote the previous part,an obvious thought came to mind,that is to have a second keyboard,either my existing djx or another
controller type,which would provide the "speed" playing if ever needed alongside the Kronos 73 key version.

So,it certainly looks that the 73 key has now become favourite,but would still value opinions.

My next concern is the memory expansion,costs and time it takes etc.

Anyone here done this,in the UK ?

A final concern is the fan noise that may be prevelant,which could nesesitate changing it at some stage or another.
My thoughts on this is that I can do the job myself without warranty problems as the keyboard would have already been opened for the memory
expansion,so who would know…??…(as long as I replace the old fan,for any future remedial work etc) and Korg UK has not sealed or placed
any anti tamper stuff on the instrument prior to return.

I would welcome any comments and/or further suggestions.

Best Wishes to all.
keybrdguy14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Go for it! Reply with quote

I purchased a Kronos back in September 2011 - had no problem finding one - and I've never looked back. I played 145 nights last year using my Yamaha S80 and a Triton 61. The Kronos replaces the Triton. I started using the Kronos in March of this year (didn't play much from Oct-Feb) and I love it. The sounds are much more realistic than anything I've had in the past. The editing capability is off the chart fantastic. I have had no issues with the keybed, fan or anything else for that matter. It works perfectly day after day. And with my playing so much---and outside at that --- the Kronos has been outstanding. Now I'm toying with the idea of getting a PA3X to replace the S-80.
Bach42t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 73 here, no issues. The keybed has been great and this is one from the first U.S. batch pre-orders. You cannot go wrong. I took a chance and I love my Kronos. It's the centerpiece around my collective diverse stash of great gear. I love her and the rest equally.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies from both Bach42t and Keybrdguy14,it is reassuring.

A question for Keybrdguy14,please.

Noticed you have a Roland D 20 amongst your gear.
How does this keybed itself compare to the Kronos 61,play wise ?

I've not played a weighted keybed,but used to have a D10 once and did like the feel of it.

Best Wishes.
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just received my kronos 88 yesterday..... the keybed feel nice and great!!! read my quick review http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=481060#481060

i do realize sometimes you do need an extra octave for your performance... i suggest just go with it (kronos 73)!! or to be save, buy one with the serial number above 3600....

Hope this helps! good luck!

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your new Kronos has the keybed problem, there is a solution and it will get fixed!
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are risks in life. I've got the 61 and an pleased with it. It seems however, that the vast majority of members here have not had serious problems with the new keybed. A small percentage have had quite a few problems. That being said, my personal opinion is...get one, now, before you spend your money on something else. Smile Smile
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my 73 key in sept.10th of last year and the only problems I've had are me doing silly things but I've always been able to find the data that I thought I lost.
I strongly recommend a 73 key. I sometimes use a 61 key midied to it for organ sounds in my studio.
As for fan noise, I just adjust my microphones to an angle where the noise is so low that it doesn't matter.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice,which I found to be helpful.
It is reassuring that owners can offer encouragement regarding my pending purchase.

Have finally convinced myself that a 73 key version would be my choice.
Setting aside the negative doubts I may have about any potential problems,I will now proceed with buying one fairly soon.

Following an initial contact with a local dealer regarding memory expansion, it looks promising.
They are prepared to order a Kronos from Korg with pre-installed memory and estimate it'll take around two weeks before
delivery.(Perhaps a little too optimistic regarding delivery times though,but I can only hope.....)

I've noticed that a few UK dealers have dropped the prices for all Kronos versions by around £200.
Good news for potential buyers,then……Also for those,like me,who have been overcautious, will act as an extra incentive and
provide the "kick up the…." to simply buy one now.

Best Wishes to all.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I know you've made the best choice. I've never looked back since I purchased mine.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
DocBambs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dv247 have been offering a stand and headphones on the website which might be worth looking at.

DB
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your 73 arrives...congratulations! Smile Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already congratulations, don't forget to sleep BEFORE it arrives.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mgibian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Love my Kronos 88! Reply with quote

My Kronos 88 is definitely the best keyboard I've ever owned, and is close to the best keyboard (including real, live, pianos) I've ever played. My only regrets:

1 - Wish I had bought it years ago ... oh, wait, it wasn't available years ago

2 - Wish I had more time to work with my Kronos ... there are so many things I want to do that it is just limited by available time, and the number of hours in a day. (need day job to support my Kronos habit)

3 - Wish I had purchased a case for the Kronos when I bought it (solved, I should have the case tomorrow ... tricky as I needed one that fit the back of my 2002 Subaru Forester and many of the 88 key cases are too long)

On the plus side:

4 - Kronos keeps whispering to me that I need to play out with it... NOW!

5 - My playing has improved to the point that I'm crossing that divide between the amature-s and the pro-s. The only thing slowing me down is item 2.

-M

p.s. - Unrelated, but I've also been surprised to find that working out at the gym has also improved my playing.
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Love my Kronos 88! Reply with quote

mgibian wrote:
My Kronos 88 is definitely the best keyboard I've ever owned, and is close to the best keyboard (including real, live, pianos) I've ever played. My only regrets:

1 - Wish I had bought it years ago ... oh, wait, it wasn't available years ago

2 - Wish I had more time to work with my Kronos ... there are so many things I want to do that it is just limited by available time, and the number of hours in a day. (need day job to support my Kronos habit)

3 - Wish I had purchased a case for the Kronos when I bought it (solved, I should have the case tomorrow ... tricky as I needed one that fit the back of my 2002 Subaru Forester and many of the 88 key cases are too long)

On the plus side:

4 - Kronos keeps whispering to me that I need to play out with it... NOW!

5 - My playing has improved to the point that I'm crossing that divide between the amature-s and the pro-s. The only thing slowing me down is item 2.

-M

p.s. - Unrelated, but I've also been surprised to find that working out at the gym has also improved my playing.

I made the jump from beginner boards to a Kronos simply so I wouldn't be running on the 'upgrade treadmill' - and learn on the best equipment available. I find that I like the Kronos as functions are more intuitive and easier to find than on the Motif XF.

I do wish I had more time to practice and get to a proficient level of playing - but I've taken the first step, which is buying this wonderful instrument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: