Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Brass sounds? help please
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkarr

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Looking for Brass sounds? help please Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for good brass sounds for my cover band. We play funk music like Kool and the Gang, Earth wind and fire, Chic... or pop songs like Sledgehammer for example. I'm new on the Korg Kronos and I can't find good brass sounds for that kind of music. Maybe you can suggest me good soundfonts or help me to create great funk brass/horns for play that kind of music and songs. Thank you very much for your help.
CTravaglini

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already you've listed 4 very different brass sounds. So you need to ask yourself, do you want to program a different brass sound for every song and try to get them sounding more authentic, or do you want to program one universal brass sound?

i'll tell you in my experience, the 2nd is my preferred option. I used to try and replicate every brass sound, but the process was tedious, and never met my high standards. Instead, i opted to create one big fat punchy brass sound that suited most songs, and made minor alterations to suit.

Also the kronos brass is quite weak imo, it takes quite a bit of work to get it sounding fat. Some tips, Layering is an absolute must to get a big brass sound, find a nice fat warm sound and make that the first octave, then layer it with the same patch, but take it up an octave. Then see if you can find a sharper, brighter brass sound and add that in the high octave. Run all that through some eq to boost the low end and high mids. If you need more power, you can keep layering brass sounds, maybe a sax sound, or even add a 3rd octave. But what i like to do is search for a good full synth brass sound, and add that in there. You'll find an array of those in the fast synth category. Then if you're still unhappy, run it all through some chorus, and maybe the mulititap chorus/delay effect, and a little reverb. With some mixing, and maybe a bit more fine eq'ing, you should be able to pull a brass sound that suits

good luck!
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start looking into SoundFonts I would recommend that you audition by category and see if what you're looking (well, listening) for isn't already in the Kronos. Internal bank E is a great place to start also and don't count out the AL-1 for good analog brass (especially if you're looking for vintage '70's and '80's synth brass sounds). You may find that there are also a number of combinations with brass sounds close to what you're looking for that may need just a touch of tweaking (if any tweaking at all).

Good luck!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
CTravaglini

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/curh01c8l66htnv/brass.PCG

try loading that combination into your kronos and see what you think. just a little something i mocked up in 5-10 minutes
pkarr

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answers and for the Brass PCG. Tomorrow I'll try it. You gave me good advices about creating a good brass sound... If I can have a good brass sound who suits well for different songs, it will be great.
pfrocha

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgman's free PCG also has some very nice Brass programs.
pkarr

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for your Pcg file Ctravaglini. I tried it and it sounds good. I'm sure i could use it for songs and it gives me ideas about tweaking brass sounds. I'm new on the kronos so it's not easy when you start but this workstation is so dope. Thanks for all guys.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Brass sounds? help please Reply with quote

Also, not all the brass sounds that come with the Kronos are loaded by default. There are additional brass sounds in the full EXi3 library that you may want to load.
kaptainkeyboard

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pkarr - I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a couple of links to 2 tunes I use my own brass samples in.
They are currently living in my Fantom, and i've only had the Kronos for a week now, but hope to load them sometime soon.
I think I have the Multisample thing sussed already, but not so sure on how to save the Combination with Multisamples (there are 3 multisamples in the Combi - Sax Section, Trumpet Section and Baritone Sax)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDrx1apdZIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe6ZtbkXNFw
pkarr

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kaptainkeyboard, I listened to your 2 links and it's exactly the kind of sounds I need Very Happy. I find it sounds very goood. U did a great job on the sounds and on your covers. If you can share them, i'm really interested On the soul cover, i like the sax section u created. Congrats man. Thanks Smile
kaptainkeyboard

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkarr wrote:
Hi kaptainkeyboard, I listened to your 2 links and it's exactly the kind of sounds I need Very Happy. I find it sounds very goood. U did a great job on the sounds and on your covers. If you can share them, i'm really interested On the soul cover, i like the sax section u created. Congrats man. Thanks Smile

Hi pkar, I found my raw brass samples and will use them to create some Programs and assemble a Combination.

Maybe someone in the forum can tell me how to save the Combination with the Program's and their Samples - I'm sure it's simpe to do, but I am a Kronos newbie and a very old man....
pkarr

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie on the kronos too, so I can't help u. Sorry.
I'm sure someone on this forum could explain how to save the combi with the program and samples.
CTravaglini

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've already made up the programs, all you need to do is go to a blank combination, and select the three programs you created. to do this, first go to where you see a000 german grand, click on this and change it to the location of your first brass sample. then do the same for slot 2 and 3. then go to the timber parameter tab down the bottom of the screen and change the midi channel for slots 2 and 3 to gch (just scroll up one past 16 and you'll get it) then you can save it.

if you haven't made up the programs yet, you can make it up from a blank program which means you have to program all the filter/amp parameters yourself, or you can take a stock brass patch and switch the multi samples over to the ones you've made up

they are some killer brass sounds by the way!! i love your programming work!
CTravaglini

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're also more than welcome to send me the raw samples and i can make up the programs/combination for you in a few minutes
kaptainkeyboard

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CT, this is what I've done so far.
Created Multisamples for the Brass Section and made a Program for each - Sax Section, Trumpet Section (both in stereo) and a Baritone Sax in mono.
I have also made a program called a Steely Dan Brass, which uses all 3 of the above multisamples.

I have made one of those User Sample things where all my samples now live.

I have also made a Combi for pkarr called Sledgehammer, which is very close to the sound I get from my Fantom X8.

This is where I get stuck....

For me to post this sound set, I assume I have to save each of the Programs (with samples) and save the Combi which references all the programs.......or do I just save the Combi and all Progs and samples with be saved in one big chunk.
I have no idea how to do this....can you help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: