Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome vs Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayjahed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Krome vs Kronos Reply with quote

Hey guyz,

I am a newbie here, this is my first post. I am a keys player in a Progressive Metal Band.
I am looking to get new synths, and the Korg dealer in my country (UAE) has the following: M3, M50, Krome, and Kronos.

I reached the point where i could either get the Krome, or the Kronos. My main idea is try to save by getting the Krome, and use the savings to get many other needed stuff for my gear. I know how amazing the Krome is, but still.

I know i won't get the dynamic switching or the playlist mode in Krome. What else i won't get in the Krome? Your help / advice would be super appreciated, as I am purchasing today

My main concerns are the ease of use on Live performances (switching, playlist, splits, etc). I play the synths in an Progressive band, so you can tell Loops and drum beats etc. are not my main interest.

Thanks !!
Nelly the Electron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have missed the deadline Jay but had I seen your post earlier I would have been able to remind you of the Kaoss Pad functions which are available on the screen of the M3 which might be useful in a live situation. I'm sure a lot of forum readers would be interested to hear what you eventually bought and how you are finding it, do let us know.

Neil
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Sorry I missed the deadline too! As a prog rocker, the Kronos is a much MUCH better way to go. Krome is nice because it does have those cool Korg sounds and it is a capable midrange workstation but to compare it to Kronos is not really fair; Krome does what it is meant to do and does it well from what I've read. I am not sure if you are doing old school prog like Yes and King Crimson or the "new" prog." But, the Kronos's nine engines (plus Wavestation in HD-1) provides far more sonic possibilities than Krome. And no, I am not bashing Krome, it's a hell of a keyboard! But just consider the three VAs in Kronos for a moment and you get the picture that for sound design, Kronos allows you far more flexibility and infinitely more power no matter what you are playing. Add in STR-1 and MOD-7 for really experimental territory.

I don't have an M3 or its sibling M50. I've auditioned both pre-Kronos era and while I liked them - especially the M3 - I decided to go a different route altogether. M3 is derived from OASYS as you know and it is a feature rich workstation. Add in the Radias EXB and you would have a very powerful instrument.

I too am interested which route you took. You seem like you have considered all available options and narrowed down to four. That's a lot more thoughtful than "this is my first synth, what should I get?" Smile

Welcome to Korg Forums Jay!

Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
jayjahed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Hey! Reply with quote

Hey guyz !! No issues on the deadline hehe.. well, i couldn't resist the Kronos could I !!
I got the Kronos (oh it is not my first synth. Played in a band for 4 yrs on an N5 EX, and then back again to a band now in my 3rd year and was using the N5 EX also. Quite an old machine, but does the job perfectly... old school Smile )

Well... how am i finding the Kronos ? I feel like such an ignorant in front of it. Such an amazing an powerful monster ! The kronos is actually intimidating me, so much new stuff to learn, made me feel i'm not even a musician heheh.

I have a million questions tho, and i am still learning.. Will start shooting those Kronos Noob questions soon.

Thanks for your welcoming concern guyz, glad to join the forums Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, and you don't have too know much to be able to play it Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Krome vs Kronos Reply with quote

jayjahed wrote:
the Korg dealer in my country (UAE) has the following: M3, M50, Krome, and Kronos.

I'm surprised they still have the M3 and M50... they were discontinued quite awhile ago.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: