Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 SSD Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
Anyone confirm that the SSD is an Intel Brand in the K2, also I know its easier to simply place the new drive as a slave but I want to be able to boot from the new drive hopefully to boost boot time speed, have any of you cloned your drives this will be far easier than doing the whole reinstall and authorisation thing, which software program did you use to clone the SSD's?

It's hard to imagine that any improvement in boot time will be worth the effort. Will you realistically gain anything more than a few seconds?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
Anyone confirm that the SSD is an Intel Brand in the K2, also I know its easier to simply place the new drive as a slave but I want to be able to boot from the new drive hopefully to boost boot time speed, have any of you cloned your drives this will be far easier than doing the whole reinstall and authorisation thing, which software program did you use to clone the SSD's?

seems like a ton of extra work to buy a few seconds at best at boot up.

Every Kronos owner has gotten use to the 2 minute boot up process. I am on the impatient side, and I simply do something else productive while my Kronos is booting up.

There are some potential downsides to replacing the boot drive. The software you might use for a clone might not do a perfect job. Thats just 1 aspect. There is a good chance you will be successful if you nail down all the facts ( which may not be that easy in practice) .

Seems to me, adding a 2nd SSD is simpler and 99.9% effective.
jforsten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:

I did the SSD replacement for my Krono2. I used Acronis True Image for cloning the original SSD to 512GB Samsung SSD and everything worked as expected. I noticed little improvement in boot time, but nothing dramatic. The main reason was just to increase the amount of free disk space and didn't want to add second drive to keep things simple.

When doing the upgrade I also changed the internal fan to more silent one, but that is an another story Smile

BR,
Juha
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jforsten

Thanks for the info, did you happen to notice what make of SSD is already installed in the K2?
jbeliz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I showed how to install this awhile ago on youtube. If it helps anyone deciding on upgrading.

https://youtu.be/srTk6FVRzTI Installation process
https://youtu.be/rX-ehEGdw2Y Boot Time Test
jforsten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
jforsten

Thanks for the info, did you happen to notice what make of SSD is already installed in the K2?

It was Toshiba 62GB (THNSNH062GCST)

BR,
Juha
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jforsten

Thats the same make off SSD as the K1, interesting that Korg have chosen Toshiba as the SSD Vendor, also interesting that the Samsung SSD you installed didn't make that much of a difference to boot times?
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
jforsten

Thats the same make off SSD as the K1, interesting that Korg have chosen Toshiba as the SSD Vendor, also interesting that the Samsung SSD you installed didn't make that much of a difference to boot times?

The length of time needed to boot is not determined by the speed of the SSD as much as it is by the OS and the links in the hardware chain. For this reason, even if the SSD was many, many times faster, you won't see a significant difference in boot time. It's not a matter of how fast the SSD makes the info available to the Kronos, but rather how fast the Kronos can load it.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in effect the SSD speed is set in stone and cannot be improved upon?
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
So in effect the SSD speed is set in stone and cannot be improved upon?

Not at all. The point is the load time takes that long because of the system speed, not the SSD speed.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the belief that a faster drive will improve loading speed. I have put SSD's in three computers that had hard drives and the difference is fantastic. I just did this on my desktop (previously two laptops) and it's like a different machine!

The problem is that the Kronos already has an SSD and the speed differences between SSD's are much smaller compared to my experience with hard drives. As stated above, the overall system is running at max as it is.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
I can understand the belief that a faster drive will improve loading speed. I have put SSD's in three computers that had hard drives and the difference is fantastic. I just did this on my desktop (previously two laptops) and it's like a different machine!

The problem is that the Kronos already has an SSD and the speed differences between SSD's are much smaller compared to my experience with hard drives. As stated above, the overall system is running at max as it is.

Geo

Excellent observation. I hadn't considered the perception of the change disk speed can make when comparing an SSD to an HD. I did the same thing replacing an HD with an SSD in a laptop and the difference is amazing. But if I went back and put an even faster SSD in the same laptop, the improvement would be hardly noticeable.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Kronos users, you have made me not wish to do anything at all to my K2 apart from play with it, no point in upgrading the SSD because it makes little difference to boot times, this thing makes some Beautiful sounds though, sometimes I just go "wow" that sounds so nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: