Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decided against buying a Nautilus
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
... and there it is. The Montage on the top tier would still not be a workstation. It simply doesn't have that capability set. If that would meet your need, you manifestly do not need a workstation.

Some workstations historically just happen to have a subset of their functions that is useful to you. All the rest is deadwood.

I get your point, but i honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about what the board is called by definition. Workstation, Performance Keyboard or Expresso Machine, is all the same to me. If it has the functions and sounds i need, ill use it, regardless of the functions i dont need.
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Yup, pretty much by definition a workstation is the wrong product for you, and you might actually be much better off with an arranger, or a performance keyboard.

Except that, for so long, many very desirable performance features have almost exclusively been available in boards that happen to be workstations. The exception probably being the Roland Juno DS and its predecessors... but if you weren't enamored of the Roland sounds or the Roland action or some other aspect of those particular boards, you were probably "stuck" buying something that had some stuff you didn't care about. But unless boards are custom made for us, they will almost always have things we don't care about. The workstation sequencer was not the only reason someone would buy a Kronos over a Juno DS. There's the action, aftertouch, additional real-time controllers, the sounds generated from the different sound engines, the ability to load huge amounts of custom samples, etc. Useful performance things, that you don't get without having a sequencer thrown into the package.

Koekepan wrote:
I think that the Big Three did themselves (and the public) a major disservice when they tried to peg their workstations as the thing to have on stage, while not differentiating that from the thing to have in the studio. Oh well, hindsight ...

But now we have Montage/MODX and Fantom/Fantom-0, which are kind of what you'd have if you started with a workstation and just took out the sequencer. But if you prefer a Korg, the closest equivalent is Nautilus, and you just have to ignore the sequencer function. Smile

Koekepan wrote:
There's a lot more to workstations than sequencers.

Right... as you said, "without the ability to sequence a complete, through-composed track, you don't have a workstation." If the board doesn't have a multitrack linear editable sequencer, you don't have a workstation, that's kind of the defining feature. Whether you use it or not. I've had lots of workstations which I used as performance boards, never touched the sequencer. There were no boards without sequencers that were as good at the other things I needed it for.

Koekepan wrote:
and if you're not using that function you have a tool that is overspecified for your use case just as if someone who wants to make a phone call from a specific location, and would thus be perfectly happy with a landline phone dating from 1985, and is instead handed an iPhone 11 along with all the bugs and registrations and software updates and other burdens that go along with it.
But sometimes you want something in-between. And again, without having boards custom built for our needs, usually the only way to get everything you want is to over-buy for your needs, because the only alternative is to under-buy and be missing things you really want.

As for other kinds of boards, you mentioned the arranger alternative, and yes, it can work well... but again you may be over-buying because, if you play with a live band, you probably don't need the actual arranger functions. And the way their panels are laid out and manuals are written, it's actually harder to ignore the unnecessary arranger functions in an arranger than it is to ignore the unnecessary sequencer functions in a workstation.
tekhedd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recreational wrote:
2.5 minute boot time?

This would be the worst thing, if it wasn't also for the glitching and cutoffs, if it weren't also for the best drawbar organ sim on the market without any drawbars, if it weren't also for the most arcane and byzantine layer controls (via the arpeggiator, really? I forget how to do it *every* time I need to make a new layered patch.) if it weren't also for...

I find myself dreading the task of redesigning all my synth patches, *again* on another platform, but I suspect that's in the future here. Why did I leave Roland? Oh right, I would have had to redo all of my patches to upgrade. Joke's on me I guess.

The whole "it's a workstation" objection is bogus. Any kind of serious live performance work requires a highly customizable keyboard, which is to say a workstation. You just don't need the sequencer, which is a piece of software we used to run on Commodore64s, possibly the *least* technical or difficult part of the entire system. You need a workstation to be a modern keyboardist, live. If you don't, you're a piano player and probably have lots more chops than me, and that's great, but you don't need a Nautilus or anything similar so why are you in this forum? :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: