Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to improve the Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The Kronos is backwards compatible with Oasys as far as I know. Or am I forgetting something?

The problem again lies in the fact that Oasys combi's require the programs to be placed in the correct location. That said, you can load most Oasys programs and make the Korg Kronos a upgraded Oasys... Just not practical though Sad

That said, if there were more banks... I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have my setups like this:

INT A and B banks would be like the original Korg Kronos.
INT C and D banks would be the Korg Oasys
INT E and F banks would be the Kronos 2 soundset
INT G, H, I and J would be the other soundsets.
Then you start getting into user programs:
User A - Z can be whatever you want. Then you have User AA - AZ as well.
Combi's would be similar in methodology...

But then there's the limitations of banks. That's where the majority of my pain comes from.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this would be difficult at all. Just a little remapping but it's obviously compatible.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't think this would be difficult at all. Just a little remapping but it's obviously compatible.

The problem is the massive amounts of libraries and sounds I have - I simply don't have space - That's why one of my big requests are to have more sound banks. I retract the Oasys compatibility because you're right, it actually does do that.
CEB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

1) Simplify File Management. Trying to roll your own samples for the very first time is whacked.

2) More pedal I/O would be nice.

Otherwise it is still the best hardware in town for managing large complex sound needs.
mailman000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

better orchestral sounds...much better Cool
lunaluna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to have the option to be able to put set list in alphabetical order .
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunaluna wrote:
It'd be nice to have the option to be able to put set list in alphabetical order .

You can use PCG Tools to do this (also for programs, combis, or part of banks/set lists or multiple set lists). Also you can group on artist versus title (using a charachter like - as splitting character).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lunaluna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
lunaluna wrote:

You can use PCG Tools to do this (also for programs, combis, or part of banks/set lists or multiple set lists). Also you can group on artist versus title (using a charachter like - as splitting character).

I was not aware ,thank you michelkeijzers .
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunaluna wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
lunaluna wrote:

I was not aware ,thank you michelkeijzers .

You're welcome ... on the other hand, it would still be a valid feature to be implemented on the Kronos itself (like a lot of other features of PCG Tools which would be much more appropriate if they are part of the Kronos or other Korg workstation OS).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shambler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Upgrade USB link. Reply with quote

The USB link only supports one stereo channel.

With a firmware update to the Kronos and the PC USB driver it should be possible to get all 16 stereo channels across at the same time.

I would love to see this! (and hear it!) it would be a much more efficient way to link it to any DAW.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:

Dynamic linking of programs and combi's. (Kurzweil has done this incredibly well for years: You can load a combi [A setup in Kurzland], and it asks if you want to load the related programs that go with it instead of just pointing in the general direction. I moved a bunch of programs around yesterday and now a bunch of my combi's are dead because they're still pointing to the old spot. :-/ )

FYI, the Kronos editor will do this for you automatically.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundQuest wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

Dynamic linking of programs and combi's. (Kurzweil has done this incredibly well for years: You can load a combi [A setup in Kurzland], and it asks if you want to load the related programs that go with it instead of just pointing in the general direction. I moved a bunch of programs around yesterday and now a bunch of my combi's are dead because they're still pointing to the old spot. :-/ )

FYI, the Kronos editor will do this for you automatically.

Same for PCG Tools ... also in PCG Tools, you can easily make lists which program are used by which combi but also vice versa: make a list per program in which combis it is used. This way it is easily seen if a program is used or not.

Another trick is when you copy combis, it automatically copies also the programs used by it, so if you paste them to an empty PCG file, you get only the programs used by those combis (and the combis itself). Also for set list slots, it uses the combis and programs using them (including the programs used by those combis).

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
The Kronos is backwards compatible with Oasys as far as I know. Or am I forgetting something?

The problem again lies in the fact that Oasys combi's require the programs to be placed in the correct location. That said, you can load most Oasys programs and make the Korg Kronos a upgraded Oasys... Just not practical though Sad

That said, if there were more banks... I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have my setups like this:

INT A and B banks would be like the original Korg Kronos.
INT C and D banks would be the Korg Oasys
INT E and F banks would be the Kronos 2 soundset
INT G, H, I and J would be the other soundsets.
Then you start getting into user programs:
User A - Z can be whatever you want. Then you have User AA - AZ as well.
Combi's would be similar in methodology...

But then there's the limitations of banks. That's where the majority of my pain comes from.

Maybe PCG Tools might be helpful ... from the website you can load a so-called virtual banks PCG file for the Kronos. This contains about 200 banks for programs (and combis). So you can store everything you want. This file cannot be loaded in a Kronos, however, you can easily copy/paste everything you need for a band/situation into a dedicated PCG file which can be loaded. So you can see the virtual file as a sort of 'database' of all your sounds.

Ottawa58

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Improving Kronos Reply with quote

It's interesting that most comments revolve around improving the computer capabilities of the Kronos. I'm pretty happy with that, although bigger screens are always welcome.

Being essentially a piano player in terms of my technique and style, I'd like to see continued improvement in bringing the keyboard closer to that of a real grand action and feel --- somewhat like Kawai is doing with their VPC1. This combined with the power, flexibility, and options in the Kronos would be outstanding.

However, I realize that a real wooden grand action comes with a trade-off for weight. So perhaps two versions - a grand action with wooden keys (for those of us not lugging it around), and a lighter version (like the current K2-88 ), for those that move their board to gigs. A similar option would be to offer a rack-mount Kronos (without keys) and allow players to use their own controller.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving Kronos Reply with quote

Ottawa58 wrote:
A similar option would be to offer a rack-mount Kronos (without keys) and allow players to use their own controller.

I do sound work at my full-time job sometimes, and I would absolutely LOVE a rack version or even a soft-synth version that I can control while at my PC at work, make what I need to without actually being at a keyboard and control everything with the sound editor and have the sounds ready for when I head to the studio or get back home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: