Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

building combi from programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: building combi from programs Reply with quote

Is there a quick way to stack programs to make a combi....and change a program or two in the combi while playing?

past KorgDW8000/ KorgX2 / Korg N-88/Alesis Q6/ Alesis Q8
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but no (if that makes sense).

Your best to make the combi, assign your knobs & SW's, then adjust like that.

TO try to make combi's on the fly is tough, even at practice, live?, I don't know why you would want to do it..

How I develope a, I find the first program I want, then if it needs adjusted, I mess with it, assign it to a new location (for now), then open a new combi, hit the dropdown in the upper right corner, select "Copy from program", then go back to program mode, find my next program, switch back to the combi, set it on another track, and just keep building from there.
Almost ALL my combis involve setting up different sounds to different parts of the key boards, so I can just move to a different part of a key board for the different sound (I'm switching between bass & keys for the most part, I'm not doing to much two hand playing).

I hope this helps!

Mike
Cutter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I have noticed you appear to be one of the more knowledgeable members that answers a lot of peoples questions here.
Helps yes and no-
One of the selling features of the M50 is the ability to stack a large number of programs. To that means building a combi. Not so much the ones that change from one to another as keyboard splits.

For example a piano string and pad (like a lot of combis are) I would think that if you had those three and then you can scroll through a fourth sound a lot like you can do to change drum patterns might make part of it on the fly.
Though I still have not found a fast way to build the combi or stacked sound quickly.

My M 50 is new and I have done the fast go through on the manual and starting the slow read now.

StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First find a program you want, then open a new combi, hit the dropdown in the upper right corner, select "Copy from program", then go back to program mode, find your next program, switch back to the combi, set it on another track, and just keep building from there. You don't have to split the keyboard if not needed.
Or, use the touch screen in combi on the track. But you'll have to change the channel your playing..
Or, put it all on the same track/channel, hear it all at the same time.
It all basically works the same. It's the same outcome, it's just how you prefer to work.

Personally, I like to first hear the program (sound) by itself, before mixing it into the combi.

I hope this helps!

Mike
Cutter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, put it all on the same track/channel, hear it all at the same time.

this one would work

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once thought about creating an offline computer program to combine multiple programs into one combi, taking care of 'merging' the insert and master effects. However in practice this is quite hard to do because the program needs to know what programs are more important (for keeping its effect parameters) and the merging of effects is very subjective.

What I normally do is to take a combi that is a bit similar and start from there. If there is none, using a program and copy it (mostly the most important program) and copy its effects. After that adding programs (by going to program mode, find it and copy it to the program) and setting effect settings as far as possible. Also try to only use the most important effects if you want to combine >1 program.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cutter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm use to my N364 where I can start with a combi for the background and lay a piano prgram over it as the primary and the maybe a base and then change the sounds as I play...looking to see how the 50 would do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: