Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Rack?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcoulter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Slave mode Reply with quote

If they created a Kronos rack, I'd like them to update the operating system for both the Kronos and the rack to support what I call "Slave Mode". In slave mode, the keyboard and the rack work together as a unified whole, with double the polyphony of the keyboard, etc. Also, this would give you twice the effects available at any time, with the operating system dynamically moving things back and forth in order to keep the demands on the hardware at its lowest level.

(I wonder how cool it would be to have multiple slaves to the one master keyboard. Would it really be used? Or is double the polyphony and effects probably all anyone would need, even those who complain about the Kronos' polyphony now.)

Under slave mode, you wouldn't need to have every single button, toggle, etc., available on the front of the rack. (Although I suspect you'd have to drive the rack in standalone mode from a computer editor.)

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos.

I am not sure it would fit in my 2 car garage Wink
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is already an Odd/Even notes setting, which is not 100% load balancing, but still a good solution.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I think there is already an Odd/Even notes setting, which is not 100% load balancing, but still a good solution.

Odd/even mode works pretty good although your not likely going to get double the polyphony since it depends on the notes you play. You won't get extra IFX since both have to be setup indentical to get the proper sound.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
Well because of this post I have some thoughts have anyone tried to formatt an Intel Netbook with the same specs of Kronos 1? Like same motherboard etc... because there`s some of those netbooks that are touchscreen too so maybe through its USB ports we could actually use as a Rack.

Unfortunately no. The screen buffer that's being used in the Kronos isn't going via VGA bus, it's going somewhere entirely different so the output to the display wouldn't be anything useful without re-writing the code that runs the display which is massively against Korg's policies. Someone in the past was a really good Linux developer and managed to do a bunch of stuff with the Kronos but Korg, in no uncertain terms, basically told him to stop. So he did.

And that... that's where it ended I'm afraid.

Anyway, the digitizer uses different drivers/control software than what's provided in a netbook. Custom drivers and major Kernel rewrites would need to happen to make it work. :/
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

Unfortunately no. The screen buffer that's being used in the Kronos isn't going via VGA bus, it's going somewhere entirely different so the output to the display wouldn't be anything useful without re-writing the code that runs the display which is massively against Korg's policies. Someone in the past was a really good Linux developer and managed to do a bunch of stuff with the Kronos but Korg, in no uncertain terms, basically told him to stop. So he did.

And that... that's where it ended I'm afraid.

Anyway, the digitizer uses different drivers/control software than what's provided in a netbook. Custom drivers and major Kernel rewrites would need to happen to make it work. :/

True, for sure it would need to edit new kernels, maybe even root the system in order to accomplish that, but I did see on the internet a guy that was able to change his mobo and processor to a Core I3 Skylake. It seems he did write kernels and had to root system in order to achieve that. Now it`s just that big question , who would be willing to try that LOL. Right?

Yeah, that's exactly it. I mean, if you don't mind gutting your Kronos, patching and editing the kernel and then troubleshooting issues like taking the artificial polyphony cap off and then seeing what happens when you've allocated cores differently than the kernel uses... Oh how I wish I had that level of development knowledge!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Odd/even mode works pretty good although your not likely going to get double the polyphony since it depends on the notes you play. You won't get extra IFX since both have to be setup indentical to get the proper sound.

True, that's why I said it's not 100%.

However, I think you can mimic it slightly yourself, by switch Local off, send all MIDI data to a processor, divide it in a good load balance for 2 or even more Kronosses and send the data to the proper Kronos. As long as the PCG data / samples are equal among the Kronosses it should work. You still don't get 100% though. ALso the algorithm might not be easy, but it's something you can do yourself (or at least can be done outside Korg) and can be done for every synth.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: