Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 Appreciation Thread!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Korg M50 Appreciation Thread! Reply with quote

Just wanted to express my appreciation for this keyboard! Applause

I'm on my 2nd M50-61. I bought one new when they came out, but decided to sell it for an M3. Fast-forward to 2011...I'm playing keys in a 70s/80s rock band and have to cover a pretty wide sonic range. My current gig rig is a Fantom G6 and a Kronos 61, but I've recently acquired a used M50-61 to serve as a backup for the Kronos and to have something lighter to haul to practices. The G6 handles all of the custom sounds I've created via multisampling plus sound effects, some synth stuff, etc. The Kronos is used for organ, EP, mellotrons, synths...mainly stuff that the non-HD1 engines provide.

I've spent this past week programming the M50 as the Kronos' backup and I am really impressed with what it can do. While it doesn't sound as luscious as the Kronos, it can definitely hold its own! For the weight, the price and the ease of use, I don't see how you can beat this keyboard!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds exactly like the more expensive brother M3, except it lacks some non sound features, like aftertouch, less controllers, no sampling etc.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back over my records, in 2009 I bought the M50-61 and a double brace X-stand for US$933.18. It was money well spent. To have such a high degree of sonic power and flexibility for under $1K - with a touch screen, no less - is unheard of.

Here are two diverse examples of the M50 in action. These are recordings that I did in 2011, using the M50 sequencer:

What Am I Doing Hangin' Round
Pretty Ballerina

I don't think I would have been able to wring out those sounds with any of the other boards in the sub-$1000 price class. The KORG workflow is really elegant.
ursamajor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I'm working with this workstation and I'm so surprised that you can even record the EQ settings in sequencer mode!

I think this Workstation is so awsome because of:
- versatile recording and editing
- so many effects and extensive routing
- nice mixer
- Good tone quality
- knobs and buttons to directly modify any parameter
- the fact I don't feel that some function is limited

Actually I think this is a whole studio in one machine!
Yes it's an AWSOME machine!
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not say enough good things about the M50's touch screen. The resolution is superb and it is very accurate to the touch. I moved up fro a triton Le, which at some point I plan on linking with the M50 for the aftertouch.

Sequencing on this thing is an absolute dream come true. With the touch view and all of those drum patterns I find it easy to change them up on the fly.
I also am enjoying how easy it is to creat combis from the presets, changing voicings volumes, arps ect.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money, the Korg M50 is hard to beat.

How many years old is it now, 4? 5 years? The waveforms still sound fresh and modern. It has gotten to a point now in technology where I wonder how much more does one need? I love some of the features in the M3, most notably the chord triggers, but the M50 is stunning for the price.

When I think back to 10 or 15 years ago when the best piano out there was the M1, it's overwhelming to think where we are now. And how much further does one really need to go? I wanted to love the Kronos, but for the price I feel the the M50 really shines.

I am a big fan of the inexpensive keyboards with great sounds! (Yamaha MOX included...)
CDA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajbbklyn wrote:
To have such a high degree of sonic power and flexibility for under $1K - with a touch screen, no less - is unheard of.

Having spent many years using hardware sequencers with displays the size of those found on 70s digital watches, the screen on the M50 is bliss.
CDA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ursamajor wrote:
For a while I'm working with this workstation and I'm so surprised that you can even record the EQ settings in sequencer mode!

The sequencer records all manner of things, not just the EQ - very useful.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Kronos but the M50 still sounds great (I will use it as backup and later for bringing to rehearsals).

It's the same sound engine/quality as M3, only lesser non musical features, controls & keybed.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pincho Paxton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's a great keyboard. Not 100% perfect. My main gripe is the combi's cutting out sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: