Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 GB Krono after update 1.5 only 2 GB usable !?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steinkaf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: 4 GB Krono after update 1.5 only 2 GB usable !?! Reply with quote

i think the handle of ram was change.

i have installed since i have the Kronos 2 GB extra ram. no Problem yet.

now it shows 3.25 GB (as before) in the Info but in the Sample Management you can only use 2GB at all.
This was not in 1.0.4. there you could use all 3.25 GB

Kronos 73, Fantom G 6, Tyros 4, DD-506, Axiom Pro 49, Macbook Pro, Logic Pro, Protools, Vienna Instr. NI Komplete 7....
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody confirm this?

The update would be completely worthless if what steinkaf says would be fact and the update steals additional RAM.

I need clarification before I update.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 4 GB Krono after update 1.5 only 2 GB usable !?! Reply with quote

steinkaf wrote:
i think the handle of ram was change.

i have installed since i have the Kronos 2 GB extra ram. no Problem yet.

now it shows 3.25 GB (as before) in the Info but in the Sample Management you can only use 2GB at all.
This was not in 1.0.4. there you could use all 3.25 GB

Additional RAM was not supported in versions prior to 1.5, and might not have worked properly in some cases. The basic allocation would have been the same with 1.0.4, however: ~3GB of physical RAM, with ~1GB used for the system, leaving ~2GB for EXs and user samples.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure: the only "downgrade" then will be that of my installed 4 Gb there won't be ~3,25 Gb useable, but 3Gb?

I could live with that, though I had rather hoped for memory expansion code giving access to the whole 4Gb.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there already a price indication how much extra memory will cost?

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Just to be sure: the only "downgrade" then will be that of my installed 4 Gb there won't be ~3,25 Gb useable, but 3Gb?

Seriously: additional RAM was not supported in versions prior to 1.5, and might not have worked properly in some cases.

About 1GB is used by the operating system, PCM "ROM," and other data. With the stock KRONOS, that leaves about 1GB for EXs and user samples. With KRONOS version 1.5, installing an additional 1GB DIMM results in about 2GB for EXs and user samples. Installing an additional 2GB DIMM offers no added benefit.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, went for it and it shows 1 Gb free memory after the update (without user samples loaded). As I said, I can live with that.

My concern was not the small amount of money spent for th additional 2Gb. I just wanted to be sure that at least the 1Gb is available and I get no memory trouble.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

I could live with that, though I had rather hoped for memory expansion code giving access to the whole 4Gb.

Mine still shows 3.25 after the 1.5 upgrade.

er... I mean, ONCE an authorized service center installs the 2GB stick, it WILL show 3.25.

...if you know what I'm sayin'
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but check the available free memory, no matter how much RAM you have. Razz

Now don't tell me you still have 3.25 Gb available for samples, with the standard Kronos factory libraries loaded.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh!

So I *LOST* available memory?

-sorry, I'm at work and only updated, checked installed RAM and went to bed.-

Sad
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Yes, but check the available free memory, no matter how much RAM you have. Razz

Now don't tell me you still have 3.25 Gb available for samples, with the standard Kronos factory libraries loaded.

with the Kronos preload data loaded (auto load), I have 1093 available.

so.... what does that mean? lol

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/

Last edited by apex on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
doh!

Sad

As a quote of Dan above:

About 1GB is used by the operating system, PCM "ROM," and other data. With the stock KRONOS, that leaves about 1GB for EXs and user samples. With KRONOS version 1.5, installing an additional 1GB DIMM results in about 2GB for EXs and user samples. Installing an additional 2GB DIMM offers no added benefit.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
McHale wrote:
doh!

Sad

As a quote of Dan above:

Before 1.5, we were able to use the full 3.25GB. It seems we lost .25GB based on what I'm reading. To be honest, it doesn't really bother me as it's more than what stock out of the box was and it should be fine for what I do. I was just curious more than anything else.

Don't let my sad face give off the impression that I'm not happy with the 1.5 upgrade. I'm freaking ecstatic about it and just ordered my 3rd nano product (nanoPAD2) to take full advantage. This is quite the awesome update!
keego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to confirm the factory preload data takes up almost 2Gb (thats the OS, ROM and Ex's) so adding a 1Gb Dimm gives the extra space for more Ex's and user samples?

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Before 1.5, we were able to use the full 3.25GB. It seems we lost .25GB based on what I'm reading. To be honest, it doesn't really bother me as it's more than what stock out of the box was and it should be fine for what I do.

I wonder if anything was really lost. As Dan said, it wasn't supported before and might not have worked properly. So just because it *said* 3.25, it doesn't mean it was really there and usable. Did you have try maxing it out? I mean, for example, maybe that last .25 showed up on the display, but if you tried to load anything into it, it wouldn't work, so it wasn't "really" there. I suppose another possibility is that 1.5 is designed so that, if it sees that the extra RAM is there, it uses an extra .25 for itself for some purpose "behind the scenes". At any rate, as you suggest, it's really academic, and what's there is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: