Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI-Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin_B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: MIDI-Question Reply with quote

Hi together,

I'm playing a Kronos 88 and additionaly use my old Trinity as a master.
Both damper (DS1H) and expression pedal (EXP2, pedal assign) are connected to the Kronos.

Global channel Kronos is 1
Global channel Trinity is 16

In my Kronos-Combination, the sounds which I wanna play on the Trinity have channel 2. On the Trinity, there is actually also a combination with a track using channel 2. So I can play Kronos sounds on the Trinity.

But the Kronos sounds I play on the Trinity are not being affected by the damper and the pedal. E.g. damper for piano and pedal for CX3-Expression.

Do you have any idea how to get damper and pedal working also for sounds being played on another channel than the Kronos master channel?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Bye
Martin
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play on a slave keyboard (Trinity in your case), you have to connect/use the controllers of the Trinity. So if you play on the Trinity (and the sound comes from your Kronos via MIDI) you still have to use the Trinity controllers.

I don't like this 'design' but it's the way it is. So you either have to swap the sounds (play Trinity sound on your Kronos keyboard and vice versa) if that helps but then of course you cannot control the other sound(s) with your controllers.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
keekma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my S90es there was a way of dealing with this.
I dont no if this is working on the Kronos. Connect midi out on the kronos to midi in on the trinity on a seperate midi channel. Make sure the kronos sends midi info for the controllers on this channel. The trinity now can recieve this control info and the padels connected to the kronos should work with the trinity. This worked on my s90es.
Im not at my kronos now, but i will try it myself later on.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
Martin_B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keekma and michelkeijzers,

Thanks a Lot.

@michelkeijzers: that's what I know, too. But I don't wanna play any Trinity-Sounds anymore. And I don't wanna use 4 controllers. So I still hope to find a solution.

@keekma: I never tried this .... But I'll do soon. You mean to have Kronos on channel 1 and send midi on 2? That's Not that Easy with Kronos.

Bye

MARTIN
keekma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

I did not manage to get my sollution working on the Kronos.
But I discovered something else. I connected midi out on the Kronos to midi in of my midicontroller. Now when you use Karma, the damperpedal connected to the Kronos is working on the midicontroller. This is in a combi where the midicontroller is playing sounds of the Kronos.

Strange, but it is working.

Are there any thoughts on wether this is intentional? And if this is working with Karma, why not without?

Former keyboards:
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keekma, please tell us more about your midi controller - what brand and model?

As Michel mentioned, this issue is a problem for anyone who uses a "slave keyboard" (non sound producing) with a Kronos or other master.

I have solved it by building a hardware box that "splits" the damper pedal into two outputs with opto-couplers. But it is inconvenient to have to set an additional box with power supply and extra cables at every gig.

If you have a midi controller that can take the Damper/Sustain MIDI input and merge it into the controller's MIDI output (on the correct channel of course), that would be extremely useful. I might even go buy that controller to replace my M-Audio.
keekma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slave keyboard is a Yamaha KX61.
I was trying to get my damperpedal on the Kronos to work with it.
So I connected midi out on my Kronos to the midi in on the KX61. I could not get it to work within a combi (with my S90es it did work).
I was just playing around with Karma in a combi within I also used my KX61. Suddenly I noticed that my damperpedal sutained my notes on the KX61. Weird isn't it?
Is Karma sending controller midi signals to midi out? Does this work with other midi keyboard brands?

Koen.

Former keyboards:
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keekma, I looked at the manual for the KX61. It doesn't have any special mode for handling the sustain pedal in MIDI that I can find.

It does have a MIDI In --> MIDI Out Thru mode, though.

Have you checked to see if your voices on the Kronos are doubled with the KX61 is connected?

Does the sustain pedal still work if the KX is sending MIDI on a different MIDI channel than the Global Channel of the Kronos? I.E. you are playing a Timbre on the Kronos set to MIDI Channel 7 with the KX61? Does the sound on the channel 7 Timbre still respond to the Kronos sustain pedal?
keekma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
keekma, I looked at the manual for the KX61. It doesn't have any special mode for handling the sustain pedal in MIDI that I can find.

It does have a MIDI In --> MIDI Out Thru mode, though.

Have you checked to see if your voices on the Kronos are doubled with the KX61 is connected?

Does the sustain pedal still work if the KX is sending MIDI on a different MIDI channel than the Global Channel of the Kronos? I.E. you are playing a Timbre on the Kronos set to MIDI Channel 7 with the KX61? Does the sound on the channel 7 Timbre still respond to the Kronos sustain pedal?

Global midichannel on Kronos = 1
Midi send channel on the KX61 = 2. I play the sound on the Kronos with midi channel 2.

The KX61 is not sending midi sustain info, but it is receiving it! It is not routed back. The sustain is working on the KX61 because it is revieving de midi sustain info. But just when Karma is on. When Karma is of it is not receiving the info.

Former keyboards:
Martin_B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

thanks for your help.

Another information from my side.

I'm not familiar with karma as I don't use it. But maybe it's the same with karma as it is with the insert effects.
If you choose the insert effect "Rotary" and within this, you configure rotary speed being switched by the damper it'll work although you play the sound only on the Trinity. I'm sure this works as insert effects are independent from channels and sounds.
So I don't wonder about this.

But there's another point:
I play a Kronos CX3 sound on the Trinity. And for this sound, I configured the expression pedal on CC#004. Playing the sound on Kronos, the expression pedal works fine. And as I already wrote, the expression pedal doesn't affect the sound when it's being played on the Trinity.
But when I play the sound on the Trinity, it has not the same initial expression as it has in program mode. In spite of this the expression is on lowest level. If I disconnect the expression pedal, the sound is again like the initial program sound. So I have the problem, that I never can use this sound on the Trinity when expression is configured for the expression pedal.
First of all, I don't understand this. If the expression pedal doesn't affect sounds being played on another channel than master channel, why has the unswayable sound an expression value of 0?

Furthermore Kronos offers on Global menu --> Midi --> External the option, to set up external midi configration. E.g. CC#004 on channel 2.
Shouldn't that be the solution? Sadly, this doesn't work, too?
Does anybody know this function?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Martin
keekma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin_B wrote:
Hi again,

thanks for your help.

Another information from my side.

I'm not familiar with karma as I don't use it. But maybe it's the same with karma as it is with the insert effects.
If you choose the insert effect "Rotary" and within this, you configure rotary speed being switched by the damper it'll work although you play the sound only on the Trinity. I'm sure this works as insert effects are independent from channels and sounds.
So I don't wonder about this.

But there's another point:
I play a Kronos CX3 sound on the Trinity. And for this sound, I configured the expression pedal on CC#004. Playing the sound on Kronos, the expression pedal works fine. And as I already wrote, the expression pedal doesn't affect the sound when it's being played on the Trinity.
But when I play the sound on the Trinity, it has not the same initial expression as it has in program mode. In spite of this the expression is on lowest level. If I disconnect the expression pedal, the sound is again like the initial program sound. So I have the problem, that I never can use this sound on the Trinity when expression is configured for the expression pedal.
First of all, I don't understand this. If the expression pedal doesn't affect sounds being played on another channel than master channel, why has the unswayable sound an expression value of 0?

Furthermore Kronos offers on Global menu --> Midi --> External the option, to set up external midi configration. E.g. CC#004 on channel 2.
Shouldn't that be the solution? Sadly, this doesn't work, too?
Does anybody know this function?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Martin

Just to test my findings with Karma and the midi out. Try hitting the Karma button, and make shure Karma is not actually working (set the midi out channels of the modules to channels you do not use). It is possible that your expression pedal is now working correctly. I think this, because I tested this with the rotery on the CX3 and it worked on my midi keyboard.

Former keyboards:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: