Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay scam?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: eBay scam? Reply with quote

It is used to be the OASYS that got this kind of activity... looks to me like someone has hacked this guy's account to promote a non-existent Kronos -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KORG-KRONOS-61-MUSIC-WORKSTATION-KEYBOARD-SYNTHESISER-BRAND-NEW-/330699352578?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item4cff37aa02#ht_685wt_1139

Proceed with caution! Evil or Very Mad
evhwolfy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly a scam. I've reported the item to eBay. In the interim, I've sent him an email asking his terms for the buy it now. I will be curious to see if/how he responds.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've thought of that (contacting him)!

Both of us have reported it now so will probably be removed before long... But we have to be careful and look after the KF community from these nasty scams.
evhwolfy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, he responded almost immediately and it appears it may be legit on the surface. He is willing to consumate the transaction through eBay, which is unlikely if it is a hacker. Here is the email chain:

"Do you offer shipping to the US? If so, how much? Are you able to provide a photo of the actual keyboard for sale, rather than the stock photo in the listing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 3:20 PM
To: Rick
Subject: RE: Korg Kronos

Hi and thanks for the email.The Korg is brand new in original box. The buy it now price including shipping is £1,500 (delivered anywhere in the UK). I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through eBay, inspection period prior buying it along with a refund policy will be included in the sale terms. Let me know if you want details on how to complete the sale. It's located in Aberdeen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: andrewtaylor1966@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:19:02 -0500
Subject: Korg Kronos

What are your buy it now terms?"
evhwolfy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it is legit, he is still circumventing eBay's policy by establishing contact outside of eBay's messaging service and for providing an email contact in his listing.
evhwolfy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most recent reply to my "do you ship to the US?" inquiry:

"Yes I offer shipping to US,it is around 50pounds
I don't have a photo of the keyboard,anyway the box is sealed I can't take a photo of the keyboard

Cheers"
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a scam. If you look at his/her previous selling history, its all low-price items (builds up a reputation that way so that people feel more comfortable when a high-price item gets listed). But the "contact me first before bidding" is a major red flag!
evhwolfy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you said that Chuck, I just sent him this: (and I will be sure to post his reply if/when I receive it)

"So, out of curiousity, why isn't there a buy-it-now option listed in the listing? What is the purpose of having contact outside of eBay? As I'm sure you understand, anytime a seller asks to be contacted outside of eBay, it is a HUGE red flag to a buyer. (and a violation of eBay terms) I am interested but very cautious about this approach."
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work guys!

Can't believe someone has a Kronos in a sealed box and 'can't' take a photo of it - even just to open the top and show it untouched inside.

Also, he says the item is in Aberdeen, but the listing says it is in Ayr (both in Scotland - but about 150 miles apart!). I guess it could be possible.

The plot thickens...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago I also had someone from England selling Kronos 88 for about Euro 1400 and a 61 was even a bit more expensive. All new.

The most interesting things was that the 88 was not even delivered anywhere in the world and the 61 nowhere in Europe.

I asked him to let somebody pick it up personally but he only did sending posts after payment.

After a few mails, never heard of him again.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but in some ways Craigslist is better than eBay! Usually its a seller local to you where you can go to their location and physically see and try it! If the seller won't let you do that, its a scam - pure & simple. I use Craigslist more than FeeBay these days both as a seller (no fees) and as a buyer for the simple reason that I can see & try before I buy. I realize that because I'm in a major metropolis (Los Angeles) there's a lot of everything here - both buyers & sellers, as well as just about anything you want. For those in smaller areas, you're limited to eBay and probably Craigslist listings for the biggest city closest to you.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the listing has been removed now...
bt2012

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...

Think I have just been in communication with the exact same person regarding this listing....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-500mm-AF-S-DII-IF-ED-F4-0-Lens-/180845556657?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2a1b3c33b1#ht_1109wt_1253

I had the same emails as you had such as....

Hi and thanks for the email. The lens is brand new. The buy it now price including shipping is £2,000 (delivered anywhere in the UK). I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through eBay, inspection period prior buying it along with a refund policy will be included in the sale terms. Let me know if you want details on how to complete the sale. It's located in Aberdeen

and then he wanted loads of my details.
jimiki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all his ads seem to be removed ?? Shocked
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay should be able to automatically control this type of ' big ticket scam '.

Amazon for several years has this under control ( yes, I know you won't find numerous used synths, there. ) as they have numerous offers for big ticket electronics from low volume newbies.

Amazon automatically freezes the disbursement to the seller on this type of big ticket scam for 30 or 60 days until there are no claims from the buyer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: