Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Kronos 73 also has clucking keys... 61 or used Oasys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeloop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Second Kronos 73 also has clucking keys... 61 or used Oasys? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My Kronos 73 (serial number 1877) had some clunking keys, so I asked the store to order in a replacement... The replacement arrived today (serial 1864) and when I got it home, and set it up, to my total disappointment there are three keys which make a terrible clunking noise when played loudly.

Korg have offered to replace the keybed, but to be honest I can't except that I have spent $3,500 (Australian) only to have my new instrument immediately opened up for repairs.

As the Kronos is not my main synth and never used for piano, I am thinking it might be time to accept that there are lots of dud RH3 actions out there, and move to a Kronos 61 instead.

However, there is a "mint" Oasys 76 currently on eBay about an hour from where I live... Should I go with that instead?

I am not planning to gig with the Kronos so I don't need SST and set lists, and as far as I know everything else is the same on the Oasys.

I do have a few questions though....
Does Oasys include most of the sound engines or were they all paid extras?

Is the screen on the Oasys reliable?

Are there any known issues with hard drives dying (I really prefer the solid state drive of the Kronos)?

I really don't know which way two go.... Kronos 61 is a compromise in length, and Oasys is a compromise as this particular one is 4 years old and I always find it scary to buy used gear...

What do you advise?

Cheers and thanks,
Mike
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Kronos 61 instead of an 88 because of the RH3 keybed problems. In doing so I kept my Triton Studio88. Worked out great as now I have both weighted and unweighted actions. Also, the Triton has some really good live sounds which work better in a mix than the comparable Kronos sounds.

I never had a Oasys so I would say that it is or is not better than the Kronos. I recommend you look as some of the older threads on this forum, you will find many comparisons and opinions. My interpretation from these threads is that the Kronos can do more things but the Kronos and Oasys have a lot in common; in which there is no difference.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume there must be a reason why you initially bought a Kronos.
Since it is under warranty, I suggest get a new one and try it in the store.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ten2One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You might check the spacing between the end of the keys and the case. If there is too little spacing it can make a clunking sound. You can search for a couple of threads concerning this problem. It usually isn't that had to correct.

I hope this helps.

Ten2One
ChrisP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear, but you're not alone.

I've been having K-61 from Sept 11, after 5 months of usage, the middle 'C' makes the same clonking noise.

I'm still wondering whether to send this to Mumbai (from Bangalore) for servicing, even though the dealer offered to take care of transport and other costs.

It is indeed sad that this problem showed up after few months of usage though.

I can't bear to be separated from it, as i got it after 7 months of waiting time and will have to be without it for at least few weeks ;-)

So I think the bottom line is that, this issue may show up on K-61 too, but I think there are very few who had this problem though.
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to have the 73 Keybed replaced. Why does it matter that it gets opened up for a Keybed transplant? I don't understand your apprehension in doings so...are you concerned that it will devalue the instrument? It is the official remedy backed by Korg and retains warranty which in effect renders the 73 better than new.

If you really can't get over it, I would advise that you opt for the Kronos 61 over the Oasys. The Kronos is a current product and thus still fully supported by future updates and upgrades.

If you decide to go for the Oasys, make sure that the owner has unlocked the MS20, Polysix, Mod7 and downloaded the brass expansion and is running version 1.3. The Oasys originally shipped with HD1, CX3 and AL1. Version 1.2 added the STR1 for free. LAC1,MOD7 and Exi Brass were paid options worth around US$350 each. When they released the Kronos, they gave the unlock codes for free. For those who already purchased these expansions, Oasys owners got Kronos credits. Also ask for the registration password for that specific unit to access korguser.net where all these updates were purchased. You won't get the SGX1 and EP1 and no drum tracks on the Oasys. You get a lower resolution sequencer on the Oasys. HD1 programs only hold 4 multisamples per oscillator. While Kronos holds 8. I'm pretty sure that when the future updates arrive for the Kronos, they will exploit this feature.

I have had issues with the Oasys screen where it became completely unresponsive. It has happened weeks at a time during the coldest part of 2010 and 2011. I brought this up in the forums in the past and no one seemed to have had the same issues.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I got my 88 back from getting the keybed upgraded, a couple of the keys were clunking (where they never were before). Instead of me sending it back and having someone else do it, I just loosened the keybed screws underneath, put the spacers on the front of the keybed to shove it back. It was rubbing up against the front. Once I had a bit more space, I tightened the screws again, removed the spaces, and I had no more noise issues.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: