Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testimony to build quality
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Testimony to build quality Reply with quote

I was just involved in a serious vehicle accident while transporting my Kronos 61 in the vehicle. It was in an SKB molded case, and because of it's location in the vehicle, in came into the front of the vehicle, between the seats, and struck the front vehicle console. Case was intact as well as the Kronos. And the Kronos so far is working just fine. Thank goodness for the SSD. Had it been a mechanical drive it probably would have bit the dust! I think this is a good example of the quality of Korg products (as well as SKB). I figured I would post this for those of you out there that concerned with transporting your investment.
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Testimony to build quality Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
I was just involved in a serious vehicle accident while transporting my Kronos 61 in the vehicle. It was in an SKB molded case, and because of it's location in the vehicle, in came into the front of the vehicle, between the seats, and struck the front vehicle console. Case was intact as well as the Kronos. And the Kronos so far is working just fine. Thank goodness for the SSD. Had it been a mechanical drive it probably would have bit the dust! I think this is a good example of the quality of Korg products (as well as SKB). I figured I would post this for those of you out there that concerned with transporting your investment.

Good to know. I hope that you fared as well as the Kronos!
guillex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Any keyboard inside the skb would have survive....
Kronos without Skb would have spread in many plastic pieces....IMHO...
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Testimony to build quality Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
I was just involved in a serious vehicle accident while transporting my Kronos 61 in the vehicle.

I hope you and everyone else involved is OK.
Steve Pavao
KORG R&D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Testimony to build quality Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:
I was just involved in a serious vehicle accident while transporting my Kronos 61 in the vehicle.

I hope you and everyone else involved is OK.

A big +1
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was alone in the vehicle. Other than a bit of a stiff neck a few days after, I am OK. Thanks for all the well wishes.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you both (you and Kronos) are fine.

Btw, (at least in the Netherlands) insurrance normally does not pay items inside a car when having a car accident (or not totally).

Therefor I always place my most expensive gear (like synths) on the back seat and not in the trunk of the car. Chances of having a sideway impact are much less than someone hitting the car from the back side.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Michel. I had an SUV so everything its pretty well protected. I plan on getting another one.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SUV definitely will help ... I can't afford it though.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
An SUV definitely will help ... I can't afford it though.

and also an SUV is way to big for the parking spaces in holland Very Happy
DocBambs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often work with young musicians - especially guitarists - and I always recommend that an early purchase is a good quality flight case. Even if the instrument costs next to nothing, if it doesn't work when you get to the gig then it's all over.

My flight case for my Novation X25 cost almost as much as the X25 itself and I even have a flight case for my Stylophone (or a dedicated slot in another one). I'm hoping that the Kronos will be able to replace the sound of the Stylophone... but I use it and a piano accordion because because it's good in the gig, rather than because of the sound (my Triton accordion sound is better than my accordion!)

Anyway... glad you are OK. Always have a good flight case. (brings to mind the suggestion that planes should be make of what they make the black box out of...)

DB
zzz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminded me of a pub gig I saw a couple of years ago. The band covered Bryan Ferry's version of "Let's stick together", and the singer did the sax solo on a kazoo! The thing is, it sounded great in the mix, and it looked great, and made everyone who spotted it happier.
On another happy note, I'm glad that you're ok, ronnfigg.
jimiki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Testimony to build quality Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:

Is your Kronos 61 key model? Which model of SKB case you are using?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The molded plastic, with the extremely large, rounded edges and it has wheels. Not sure of the specific model name or number.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you know, I was also in an accident with my Kronos 73 last fall. In the freak snow storm that hit the eastern US the last Saturday of October, I spun out on the Pennsylvania turnpike and hit the median barrier with the front and rear of my car.

My original post is here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66428&highlight=

I agree that the Kronos is very solidly built. The plastic end caps give a false impression. Under those end caps there are very solid metal frames that brace the end of the instrument.

I normally use flight cases for my keyboards, but the Kronos won't fit in my car in a hard case. In a gig bag, in the trunk, the Kronos only received the damage shown in the photo in my post. The instrument is still playable! The insurance company replaced it, but let me keep it since they were just going to scrap it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: