Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating splits and layers on the fly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Creating splits and layers on the fly Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone has a great method for quickly creating a split or layer while "in the moment," whether that's on stage, jam session, etc. As in, you're playing piano and it would suddenly be beneficial to have a left-hand bass, or some strings underneath, or maybe a different lead sound while left-hand comping (I know these are all very standard examples that you might just as well have pre-programmed).

I've traditionally had many splits and layers of my bread-and-butter sounds pre-defined on my Korg workstations as combis, but I do miss the dedicated split/layer functionality present on many digital and stage pianos out there where you can very quickly setup a split and change the split point, etc.

Anyone have any fast method for doing this within a few seconds on the Kronos (possibly including changing split point)? Or does everyone simply keep a bank of combis pre-defined with the usual stuff?
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a way to do this. I always end up building the combis by hand and pre-saving what I think I might use.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid there isn't a fast way.

The fastest way is to go to the timbre page and select the top or bottom keyzone field for that timbre and then hold the enter key and press the note where you want the split
timg11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years ago, the Rhodes Chroma had a nice (IMHO) approach to splits/layers. There were 4 buttons: No Link; Link Lower, Link Upper, Link Unison. If you linked lower or upper, then you press "Set Split" and then the key on the keyboard where you want the split to be.

So if you're playing program 1, and want to split with program 2 on the lower half: "Link Lower", "2", "Set Split", key. 3 buttons and 1 key. Done.

Of course that is all it could do: a lot less flexible than a combi with overlapping zones and slopes.

However, there is no reason that the Kronos could not have "shortcuts" for quick splits, transpose, and many other performance-oriented functions.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Might as well add this one to my Octave button request. Reply with quote

I agree with this request; I don't know how many times the bass player in our wedding band; screws up the bass parts on songs when he sings. I would love to be able to just jump in with a nice split point and take over the bass lines. Grrrrr!!!!

And....If I'm going to split that puppy, I'm also going to need to change octaves on a K61 so give me the Octave key as well while were at it!!!
Stevesan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my first reflections with the Kronos was this very thing. There's no "Quick combo" mode. There should be such a thing which if one wants later can be moved into "Serious combo mode". I mean just for finding sounds and jamming, it's a bit slow to go through all the hazzle of setting up a combo.

I guess this is the downside to all the power of the Kronos: the steep learning curve. And the somewhat difficult approach to some things we are used to being easier from other boards.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Might as well add this one to my Octave button request. Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
I agree with this request; I don't know how many times the bass player in our wedding band; screws up the bass parts on songs when he sings. I would love to be able to just jump in with a nice split point and take over the bass lines. Grrrrr!!!!

And....If I'm going to split that puppy, I'm also going to need to change octaves on a K61 so give me the Octave key as well while were at it!!!

heh, there should also be a USB device that you should be able to attach that will allow you to automatically unplug any of your other bandmates when they start screwing up the notes Razz
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Might as well add this one to my Octave button request. Reply with quote

Yes...maybe some shock therapy into the mic stand or something. That would also work very well with "Chick" singers who go off key all the time!

jeebustrain wrote:
kbrkr wrote:

heh, there should also be a USB device that you should be able to attach that will allow you to automatically unplug any of your other bandmates when they start screwing up the notes Razz
Wink
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is easier to use 2 keyboards, then you don't need splits, and make a lot of combis with all kind of combinations of upper/lower sounds.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Maybe it is easier to use 2 keyboards, then you don't need splits, and make a lot of combis with all kind of combinations of upper/lower sounds.

that's also another thing that a lot of my keyboardist friends and I have done. The last few gigs I've done have been more improvisation based, so I really don't know what exact sounds I'm going to want to use beforehand (especially dealing with simultaneous sounds). Sure it's more crap to carry around, but it is a bit easier.

Plus it looks cooler.

My Music
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a way you can have a dynamic split point for HD-1 engine. For doing this, you need to use wavesequences.

You can put the two multisamples you need to split on the wavesequence and then manually change the position of the currently playing multisample on the wavesequence.

In order to set the split point, you use the AMS Mixer called Gate, where you set a threshold point. The threshold point is the note number you want to use as the split point, so you use Note Number as the AMS.

If the note number is below the threshold, the gate returns 0 (the first multisample sounds on the lower part)

If the note number is above the threshold, the gate returns 99 (the second multisample sounds on the upper part, starting at the note number assigned to the threshold)

Every step on the wavesequence can output two own AMS values which you can use to realtime modify filters, EG, levels and whatever you need to correctly play the multisamples.

Sadly, you have no way to assign a physical controller to the threshold parameter on the AMS Mixer Gate. Therefore, if you want to set the split point with a physical controller, then you need to use another AMS Mixer as the input value for the AMS Mixer Gate.

I think you can try with AMS Mixer Add. Therefore, you change the Gate Control of the AMS Mixer Gate to AMS Mixer 2 (which is the AMS Mixer Add instead of the note number we originally set earlier) Talking about the AMS Mixer Add, the "A" mixer is the note number with an amount of 1 and the "B" mixer is your physical controller which must have a range 0-127 (matching the note number range) and the amount should be -1 in order to reverse its direction.

So, you can now set a "dynamic threshold" (for the AMS Mixer Gate, where the threshold must be set to zero BTW) based on the position (value) of the physical controller by something like this example:

- You want to set the split point on C4 (note number 64)
- Mixer "A" on the Mixer Add will always give you a value from 0 to 127 (note number)
- Mixer "B" (the physical controller) on the Mixer Add is (dinamycally) set to 64 because you moved the physical controller to its middle point.
- When adding both, you'll have scenarios like those:

- Physical controller (mixer B) = 64 and Note number (mixer A) = 52 (C3), then AMS Mixer Add outputs -64+52 = -12 and AMS Mixer Gate outputs 0 (below threshold)
- Physical controller (mixer B) = 64 and Note number (mixer A) = 64 (C4), then AMS Mixer Add outputs -64+64 = 0 and AMS Mixer Gate outputs 99 (equal or above threshold)
- Physical controller (mixer B) = 64 and Note number (mixer A) = 88 (C6), then AMS Mixer Add outputs -64+88 = 24 and AMS Mixer Gate outputs 99 (above threshold)

By setting the threshold of the AMS Mixer Gate to 0, you can now see that when you play notes lower than C4, the AMS Mixer Add is outputting values below 0, and therefore the first multisample of the wavesequence will play. Also, when playing notes above C4, the AMS Mixer Add is outputting values above 0 and therefore the second multisample of the wavesequence will play.

You can even extend this to multiple split points by setting more than 2 multisamples and distributing over the range 0-99 of the AMS Mixer Gate.

Try the example. Maybe you'll need to adjust the actual values a bit, but the idea prevails Idea

PS. While you may use this method to modifty Amp EG and therefore being able to apply this to any synth engine, there are many other factors that may not be effective for the rest of the synth engines... we should analize each one to see how to effectively apply this method.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

that's also another thing that a lot of my keyboardist friends and I have done. The last few gigs I've done have been more improvisation based, so I really don't know what exact sounds I'm going to want to use beforehand (especially dealing with simultaneous sounds). Sure it's more crap to carry around, but it is a bit easier.

Plus it looks cooler.

Of course you can make a combi with 2 predefined programs including split points etc. By changing the program in the timbres you can select what sound you want to hear.

However, the main problems is effects. These are not copied. It would be nice if there was some kind of 'reference' effects, i.e. that if you select e.g. I-A000, that the needed IFX slots would not be COPIED to the combi, but referenced from the combi to the original program.

Of course in this way you will get run out of effects quite soon but as long as you use e.g. max 4 programs it would not be a problem.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: