Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tke Krome sampler isn't dead
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapyerx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Tke Krome sampler isn't dead Reply with quote

Sorry for my bad english, but I just watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2tLs2_Buf4

For peru only, the bundle comes with a 4GB SDHC card with custom latin samples to load and confirm tha the keyb has 30mb for samples. I wonder the reaction of korg after this...
Daniel_C

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great , the sequences sound very authentic, I hope the sampler function on entry level boards comes back, let´s hope this sounds become available for everyone. Great find, thanks, for sharing, saludos!
musicman2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think thats a sampler function . I dont see the sample loading menus pop up like the removed video had. If you note the load program button is selected and the screen shows banks of programs loading.

I think they are just using factory waves that were reprogrammed

Note I dont speak Spanish soI may be full of it..
Chriskk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not user sampling. There is no way Korg offers a user sampling function only for a particular country.
Frostmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting the information that the Krome has 30mb for samples? I read that same thing somewhere else but no one can prove that it has that or any spare memory for samples.

I saw the removed video from that guy loading in something but does he specifically say it has the extra memory?

Maybe he was just loading in custom user sounds or can you disprove that?
rapyerx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frostmaster wrote:
Where are you getting the information that the Krome has 30mb for samples? I read that same thing somewhere else but no one can prove that it has that or any spare memory for samples.

I saw the removed video from that guy loading in something but does he specifically say it has the extra memory?

Maybe he was just loading in custom user sounds or can you disprove that?

Well this is from an old thread and maybe, like some users have pointed before, the 30MB are strictly for korg's in-house development use only. korg hasn't said nothing since the first video leaked, but now we have evidence that the krome has sample playback capabilities so, why the secret? Who knows, market testing? uncertainty about the product sales? we are still waiting for an official response.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(isn't dead?)

It is deceased.
It has gone to meet it's maker.
It is pining for the fjords.

--------------

Seriously. Compress the bundled file sample, if such exists, and post it with instructions on how to install it.

My basic Spanish and observational skills say that this is a .pcg file being loaded - and since no .ksg or sample files is shown at all in the load procedure (which is shown step by step) I think that this is a case of savvy marketing to Latino users whose genre based needs are very specific and different than pop/rock north of the border.

Without opening a cultural, racial or language inspired debate, the inclusion of a full bank of exclusively "Latin" sounds in the US might have been seen as a negative, that Krome was created to serve a niche market. But the marketing of a Latin .pcg in Latin America points at Korg Peru's targeting their strongest/broadest buying demographic regionally.

Assuring a potential buyer that, yes, they can eventually program all the sounds they want - "it'll be great, I promise" - is not the same as popping in a non-Gringo factory bank that has all the acordeon, trompeta and batteria voices they want... and that you-are-important-to-us "exclusivo para Peru" reinforces that customer relationship and perception of value.

Personally, I can't grasp the reason for the overkill on the card size for a single .pcg - maybe it's touted as a "free" load and storage device with purchase - my Spanish is, as I said, pretty basic.

If Korg (corp./global) is smart (and seeing this, there's no reason to think they aren't) I'd think we'd also see regional marketing with a Middle Eastern or Indian bank that had a more authentic/ethnic flavor than the (presumably) homogenous US/Euro/Japanese factory banks. In which case...

I'd like to buy an argument (in favor of making these .pcg's non-exclusive).

No you wouldn't.

Yes, I would.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: Import Music Peru - the Korg distributor for Peru posted the referenced video to Youtube. To me it has all the earmarks of an official Korg video made for IMP by Korg Corp.

At their website tho', Krome is conspicuously absent; it may not yet be available for purchase there.

IMP's download section (where I expected the "exclusive" .pcg might be found) is "under construction". So no joy there.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
rapyerx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

Seriously. Compress the bundled file sample, if such exists, and post it with instructions on how to install it.

My basic Spanish and observational skills say that this is a .pcg file being loaded - and since no .ksg or sample files is shown at all in the load procedure (which is shown step by step) I think that this is a case of savvy marketing to Latino users whose genre based needs are very specific and different than pop/rock north of the border.
BB

Well in the video the demonstrator DO load custom samples by turning on the machine wt the bundled SD card inserted, while pressing 'PAGE' and num '0' buttons, to load the multi-samples just like in the korgman's video that was pulled of youtube two months ago, the .pcg file just load the programs that use those samples in the F bank. That procedure doesn't appear to be an standard procedure with the UI so it must be a debugging or development feature or something like that, so if thats a first hardware revision feature only, or something to be expanded with future OS updates, ...etc, well the time will tell
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can see that. I'd be more convinced if I actually saw the screen details as the load-up was happening - as we do with the .pcg load procedure.

Mysteriouser.

Could this be an unplanned for hack? A user stumble into an area planned for a future update or feature add-on?

If it's a hack, then I could understand stepping on that independent Youtube video that encourages users to violate warrantee by following an undocumented procedure. Prank'd much? Who know's if it's true... and would you care to risk your keyboard to find out?

If it's planned add-on (and IMP's more Korg-ish professional video might indicate it is) then testing the water makes sense.

Now i have to wonder what's the structure for samples, user interface if any and what might be in development already -- given the obvious and immediate interest. The IMP site's been up for just 2 days as of this writing and the "sample" video for only one.

BB .

Last edited by billbaker on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
satya_music

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tke Krome sampler Reply with quote

rapyerx wrote:
Sorry for my bad english, but I just watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2tLs2_Buf4

For peru only, the bundle comes with a 4GB SDHC card with custom latin samples to load and confirm tha the keyb has 30mb for samples. I wonder the reaction of korg after this...

How to get the sample of 4GB bundle now, for those who already purchased the keyboard from Dubai.
Satya_music[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the video the demonstrator DO load custom samples by turning on the machine wt the bundled SD card inserted, while pressing 'PAGE' and num '0' buttons, to load the multi-samples just like in the korgman's video that was pulled of youtube two months [/quote]

If that indeed is the case then Korg Peru has access to the inhouse Korg program to generate the Korg samplle, and created the samples much like Korgman did.

More importantly, i saw a fuzzy screen with the OS version number on that you tube video but couldnt make it out, can some one with a better resolution capture that frame and make out the version number of the Krome, to me it appeared to still be 1.0..
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] ...Korg Peru has access to the inhouse Korg program to generate the Korg sample... [quote]

Not established. I'd like to think that Korg's responsible for this development rather than IMP.

But while the programs that use the sample are good, particularly the reed flute which is excellent; the others sounded like they might have been sampled from a Roland Expansion board, particularly the Mariachi style brass and accordion which were (IMO) a bit less impressive. So this may be a home grown effort.

Was there a Korg logo on the card? Not that I could see - looked like a Sandisk with the logo taped over. Also, the actual content of the card was not really discussed beyond the minimum (hold samples? (canzones popular) popular songs/sequences, and the .PCG programs that reference the samples), at least that my elementary pick-up Spanish can detect.

Anyone bi-lingual care to post a transcript of the relevant section and claims of sampling?

BB

Yatrix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

in the video the demonstrator DO load custom samples by turning on the machine wt the bundled SD card inserted, while pressing 'PAGE' and num '0' buttons, to load the multi-samples

Yes, everybody can see that.
But .PCG files do not contain any samples data. At least that was not the case nor in M50 nor in M3 nor in OASYS nor in KRONOS.
That is very strange. Multisamples (waves) should packed as .KSF files.

The only rationale which I can propose, just as hypothesis, is that this misterious PCG file bundled on SD card contains normal definitions of programs (just as usual) but referring to another set of samples (waves). And this new set of waves is already stored somewhere in KROME's factory memory.

Could that be the case ?
Theoretically yes, because for example M50 factory memory consists by default of two sets of waves - the original set of M3 and additional EXB set which was issued for M3 users as expantion with OS update (if I remember it properly).

If that is the true then by pressing PAGE+0 you instruct synthesizer to switch to another set of waves.
Or...there was .KSF file on that SD card and it was loaded in silent mode as default wave set for the PCG file selected by demonstrator.
These are just my guesses.[/quote][/code]
Documentation included in setup.
musicman2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my point, Bill, that theres to many unknowns.

In one aspect, it is interesting the South American Dealers are dabbling with the sampling, did they go rouge perhaps?

AFA the video, unless it was editied, I didnt see the load samples menu pop up, and I belive from the korgman video, that process isnt automated yet.

At this point, its all conjecture, but I would even be happy with 30 mb of sampling.

PS I just saw Yatrix reply, which could be valid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: