Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 vs Krome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herefordmg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: M3 vs Krome Reply with quote

I am currently using a Korg TR88 for live performance (church band) and some limited home sequencing / recording. I've been a big fan of Korg since the M1 (I'm old!!). I still really like my TR88 - it's basically a scaled-back Triton with some extra samples. Love the feel. I've added the sampling option (plus max memory), but haven't used that much.

I'm thinking about an M3, even though it's been replaced with the Kronos. The Kronos seems great, but the build quality seems cheaper to me, and I also don't like the idea of an internal fan.

So, that leads me to the M3 vs the Krome. The M3 has the sounds and features that I want and seems more of a pro-quality board than the Krome, but the M3 is getting pretty old. The Krome has a few new bells and whistles that are pretty user-friendly and some great sounds.

These days, the M3 is going pretty cheap... about the same as the Krome.

So... please let me know your comments on this. Thanks.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kronos and I STILL use the M3 exclusively for live performance. You can sample with the M3, Karma, SST using Karma, you can even download for free the Kronos-lite piano for the M3. The M3 all the way over Krome.
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say wait for namm.. or if you won't, get the krome..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say wait for namm.. or if you won't, get the krome..

Anyway as a kronos owner, i'm fine with the build quality of kronos.. it's not as bad as what some fanatic losers says about it..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
herefordmg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'm not in a big hurry, so I'll wait for NAMM 2013, next week. Whatever comes out will probably be marketed in 6 mos or so. I would expect Roland to come out with a new workstation (Integra?), and for Yamaha to replace or upgrade the Motif. Maybe Korg with have a Kronos rack?

I know there are lots of negative comments about the current "Big 3" - Korg, Roland and Yamaha. I think I'm in the minority... I love the sounds and capabilites, it's really amazing what we have today... and bang for the buck is incredible.

I still remember my 1st workstation - Ensoniq ESQ1 - 8 voice poly with 8 bit samples. In the day, it was groundbreaking.

I think my main complaint about current keyboards is the build quality. Some of those keybeds feel really terrible. I may be a bit spoiled... the TR88 is sort-of an entry-level keyboard, but it has an aluminum body, hammer-weighted keys (RH2) with aftertouch. The components include dual outputs, and audio input for the sampling option.

Back to the Krome VS M3. I think they are both incredible machines... the Kronos is even more incredible. I just like the feel of the M3 (73), synth-action, along with the sounds and features. At any rate, I probably can't go too wrong with either decision. But for now, we'll see what NAMM has to offer.

BTW... 1jordyzzz... thanks for posting your video, very nice. The piano is beautiful.
rudix999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Kronos-lite piano for M3 Reply with quote

you can even download for free the Kronos-lite piano for the M3. The M3 all the way over Krome.[/quote]

Drama1, give me the link, where is Kronos lite piano for M3 to download, please.
Thanks.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos-lite piano for M3 Reply with quote

rudix999 wrote:
you can even download for free the Kronos-lite piano for the M3. The M3 all the way over Krome.

Drama1, give me the link, where is Kronos lite piano for M3 to download, please.
Thanks.[/quote]
Korg web site. I have the Kronos and M3 and the stereo four way grand is practically identical to the german grand on the Kronos. Of course the Kronos has more detail, but in a live setting you'll never know the differnece.
herefordmg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Purchased a new Korg M3-73. Reply with quote

I finally purchased a new M3-73 ($1850). I also added the EXB-256M board. This version is the "Expanded" version, which has really nice sound and feature updates from the original M3. The grand-piano is amazing. I feel that I made the right decision for my keyboard use - some home studio, some gigging.

I looked at the Krome, but was really disappointed with the build quality... not nearly the level of the M3.

The Kronos build is better than the Krome, but still not at the M3 level. I also didn't like the idea of the internal fan. And finally, the price is more than I'm willing to spend right now. The Kronos is really a monster, but probably best for the studio only.

I'm very happy with the M3. I realize that the technology is a bit dated, but that is a minor issue to me, compared the alternatives. Someday, if I get bored with the keyboard, I can still add an EXB-Radias board.

Thanks to all for your input.
ConnMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...So here I am pondering the purchase of a used M50-73 or a Krome 73.

Seems like there's little difference between the two in functionality but a price gap of about $400-500.

Positive for the Krome is I can get new, with current updates and warranty.

The M50 for less but if in good condition, should be more than adequate for my needs and better build (according to the comments on the forum here). Another thing is the freezing issue I've read about (but that seems to only affect the 61 key versions, I think).

My dilemma is that I don't live close to a music store so I can't try out the Krome...Same being the case with a used M50 since all I've been able to find are ones on eBay located no where near where I live. So far I've seen the M50 73 in the $700-1,000 price range used and about $1,200 + for new.

My current budget is about $700-750 so even a new Krome would put me over that but if I wait a little while I might be able to scrounge up some additional cash if I sell off something.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Confused
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played either the Krome or M50 extensively but have played them on occasions at a store. As far as build quality I would say they are both pretty much the same and I wasn't to happy with either one. They're not really bad for the price but I always compare to the M3 which in my opinion is still the best built Korg board in a long time other than OASYS.

With Krome you get a better screen, Kronos pianos and Kronos drums. If that is important to you then save up for the Krome, otherwise the M50 should do nicely.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a new Korg M3-73. Reply with quote

herefordmg wrote:
I'm very happy with the M3. I realize that the technology is a bit dated,

The technology isn't dated yet, but even if the M3 was 20 years old, it wouldn't be the sounds or technology that make the music--but what you do with them.

I still use my Triton Classic with the worship band at church and it sounds great. I enjoy programming it and often make minor tweaks here and there to suit a certain song. Just had all the buttons replaced a couple weeks ago, so she's almost good as new.

Sounds Good
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a new Korg M3-73. Reply with quote

herefordmg wrote:

I'm very happy with the M3. I realize that the technology is a bit dated, but that is a minor issue to me, compared the alternatives. Someday, if I get bored with the keyboard, I can still add an EXB-Radias board.

Like Synthoid said the technology isn't really that dated compared to the Kronos. The EDS engine was derived from the HD1 engine.

As far as the EXB-Radias goes, I love it. You should consider grabbing one now if you can find one as its discontinued and getting harder to come by. My only regret as far as the M3 era goes is that I did not also get a Radias module to mount along side the M3. But I have a Sub Phatty coming so maybe it will sit on the side panels where a Radias normally would have gone.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased a new Korg M3-73. Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
. My only regret as far as the M3 era goes is that I did not also get a Radias module to mount along side the M3.

You can always find one on eBay... Very Happy

I'm very happy with my Radias keyboard. It's the perfect companion to the M3. I was in the studio the other day with the Radias and totally lost track of time. It's that addictive!
ConnMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decision made and won a M50 73 on eBay for a little less than $700.

Should have by next week, I hope.

Can't wait!! Very Happy

I'm sure I'm going to be using this forum a lot as I get to know the instrument. Thanks to everyone who've chipped in with their advise and experiences.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you enjoy the M50, it's a very nice instrument.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: